Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Slime Mould Mucilago crustacea

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Slime Mould Mucilago crustacea

    I have seen this species only about three times but that is probably because it lives on grass and I do most of my searching in woodland, which has numerous species. These two colonies were at the top of a chalk hill in a field grazed by sheep.

    Olympus EM-1, (aperture priority), Olympus 4/3 50mm f2 macro, 1/125 at f11 ISO 1600, hand-held.

    The stereos are crosseye.

    Harold







    The body is willing but the mind is weak.

  • #2
    Re: Slime Mould Mucilago crustacea

    Interesting photos Harold, and the 3D works really well....:-)

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Slime Mould Mucilago crustacea

      Originally posted by MJ224 View Post
      Interesting photos Harold, and the 3D works really well....:-)
      Thanks, Mark.

      Yes, I'm really pleased with the stereos.

      Harold
      The body is willing but the mind is weak.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Slime Mould Mucilago crustacea

        Originally posted by Harold Gough View Post
        Thanks, Mark.

        Yes, I'm really pleased with the stereos.

        Harold
        Harold, I do like the photos that you post, but what's the knack to getting your brain to see the 3D image.
        I can remember as a kid having access to a Victorian? stereo viewer with sepia picture of Scarborough that really popped.

        It might be that without glasses, I need to be too close to the screen, and they don't work well with varifocals, which need lots of astigmatism correction and prisms as well. This could be why I struggle without glasses of course, if my eyes are pointing different directions.
        Best Regards
        Bill

        The nearest I have to a home page.
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/peak4/
        They're Watching You!

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Slime Mould Mucilago crustacea

          Originally posted by peak4 View Post
          Harold, I do like the photos that you post, but what's the knack to getting your brain to see the 3D image.
          I can remember as a kid having access to a Victorian? stereo viewer with sepia picture of Scarborough that really popped.

          It might be that without glasses, I need to be too close to the screen, and they don't work well with varifocals, which need lots of astigmatism correction and prisms as well. This could be why I struggle without glasses of course, if my eyes are pointing different directions.
          Bill,

          I wear varifocals, with correction for astigmatism.

          I recently read a paper by a specialist, who stated that good vision is essential for good 3D perception, if at all.

          Some people get the trick of crosseye viewing very quickly. It took me months and I was posting crosseye pairs in another forum but had to ask if they worked.

          The problem is that you have to overcome the brain's resistance to your attempts to view the images with opposite-side eyes. Once you have done it successfully a few times you will do it without trying.

          Make sure the screen has no distractions, such as the cursor, in view.

          Most pairs work best when you are about an arm's length for the screen, some may require up to half as much again for best effect.

          Try not to use close vision. In other word, try to look through the images slightly to middle distance.

          Place your index finger vertically against your nose with its tip between and above your eyebrows. The watch it, your eyes pointing inwards, as it moves towards the vertical border between the pair of images, finally dropping it out of sight and concentrating on the images (not too close vision).

          The process is tiring during the practice period and you should rest at intervals.

          I could post conventional, parallel image pairs but they don't seem to work for most people, including me.

          Harold
          The body is willing but the mind is weak.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Slime Mould Mucilago crustacea

            Cheers Harold, I suspect i may be too close then.
            I used to be able to get them to pop in many years ago; somewhere I still have a set of 3D postcards I used to send out as thankyou notes after some motorsport bookings, but I now seem to struggle with those as well.
            I'll keep working at it.

            Have you ever come across John Leach (AKA FungiJohn.)
            Our local natural history soc. (Sorby NHS) Fungi section had a takl by him last week with lost of macro and super-macro slides.
            We had to leave the lecture room quite quickly in the end as we were out of time, so I didn't get chance to get and website details from him.
            Best Regards
            Bill

            The nearest I have to a home page.
            http://www.flickr.com/photos/peak4/
            They're Watching You!

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Slime Mould Mucilago crustacea

              Originally posted by peak4 View Post
              Cheers Harold, I suspect i may be too close then.
              I used to be able to get them to pop in many years ago; somewhere I still have a set of 3D postcards I used to send out as thankyou notes after some motorsport bookings, but I now seem to struggle with those as well.
              I'll keep working at it.

              Have you ever come across John Leach (AKA FungiJohn.)
              Our local natural history soc. (Sorby NHS) Fungi section had a takl by him last week with lost of macro and super-macro slides.
              We had to leave the lecture room quite quickly in the end as we were out of time, so I didn't get chance to get and website details from him.
              Bill,

              John Conway posts as fungijohn, on all the social media I won't touch. John leach can only be found in specialist fungus article, no general gallery.

              Harold
              The body is willing but the mind is weak.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Slime Mould Mucilago crustacea

                Originally posted by Harold Gough View Post
                Bill,

                John Conway posts as fungijohn, on all the social media I won't touch. John leach can only be found in specialist fungus article, no general gallery.

                Harold
                Just quoted that as either he or the host had it on the opening slide.
                apparently 12 years into taking the photos, and he's still not got enough for his proposed book yet.
                Best Regards
                Bill

                The nearest I have to a home page.
                http://www.flickr.com/photos/peak4/
                They're Watching You!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Slime Mould Mucilago crustacea

                  We just had a wonderful talk at the Cardiff Naturalists' by Dr Steven Murray who has fantastic pictures and is about to produce an identification guide... seems there may be a race on

                  Regards
                  Andy
                  My Kit (OK I'm a hoarder...)
                  4/3 E500, E510, E30 + 35macro, 50macro, 7-14, 11-22, 14-45 (x2), 14-54, 40-150 (both types), 50-200, 70-300, 50-500,
                  m 4/3 EM1MkII + 60 macro, 12-100 Pro
                  FL20, FL36 x2 , FL50, cactus slaves etc.
                  The Boss (Mrs Shenstone) E620, EM10-II, 14-41Ez, 40-150R, 9 cap and whatever she can nick from me when she wants it

                  My places
                  http://www.shenstone.me.uk http://landroverkaty.blogspot.com/
                  https://vimeo.com/shenstone http://cardiffnaturalists.org.uk/

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Slime Mould Mucilago crustacea

                    I've always been good at going cross-eyed .
                    I've got your 3Ds to work but the thing you should maybe add is to see a third image between the 2 and that is the 3D one.
                    Duncan

                    Lots of toys.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Slime Mould Mucilago crustacea

                      Originally posted by wanderer View Post
                      I've always been good at going cross-eyed .
                      I've got your 3Ds to work but the thing you should maybe add is to see a third image between the 2 and that is the 3D one.
                      I thought that unnecessary but who knows?

                      Harold
                      The body is willing but the mind is weak.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Slime Mould Mucilago crustacea

                        Originally posted by shenstone View Post
                        We just had a wonderful talk at the Cardiff Naturalists' by Dr Steven Murray who has fantastic pictures and is about to produce an identification guide... seems there may be a race on

                        Regards
                        Andy
                        Andy,

                        Guides are in short supply and tend to be very expensive. This would be welcomed.

                        This could be it:

                        http://www.sewbrec.org.uk/content/at...esentation.pdf

                        Harold
                        The body is willing but the mind is weak.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          My Kit (OK I'm a hoarder...)
                          4/3 E500, E510, E30 + 35macro, 50macro, 7-14, 11-22, 14-45 (x2), 14-54, 40-150 (both types), 50-200, 70-300, 50-500,
                          m 4/3 EM1MkII + 60 macro, 12-100 Pro
                          FL20, FL36 x2 , FL50, cactus slaves etc.
                          The Boss (Mrs Shenstone) E620, EM10-II, 14-41Ez, 40-150R, 9 cap and whatever she can nick from me when she wants it

                          My places
                          http://www.shenstone.me.uk http://landroverkaty.blogspot.com/
                          https://vimeo.com/shenstone http://cardiffnaturalists.org.uk/

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Slime Mould Mucilago crustacea

                            Thanks, Andy.

                            I have emailed his local group, saying I had the pdf and asking if any cooperation is useful.

                            I can't remember what I paid for my big book and can find no record but it was expensive.

                            Harold
                            The body is willing but the mind is weak.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X