Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Political: We're doomed, Captain Mannering...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Political: We're doomed, Captain Mannering...

Originally posted by wornish View Post
    The leaves are falling off my trees. Official reports say its 63.5% caused by Brexit.
    Perhaps if they had a referendum they would chose to remain?

Harold
    The body is willing but the mind is weak.

Comment

Originally posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
      If he had had his way we would have the €Euro as our currency by now.
      For the same value, that would have made his bank balance look even larger.

Harold
      The body is willing but the mind is weak.

Comment

Originally posted by Harold Gough View Post
        For the same value, that would have made his bank balance look even larger.

Harold
        The way the pound has been headed over recent months, give it much longer and the bank balance will be larger!

Comment

Originally posted by Harold Gough View Post
          Perhaps if they had a referendum they would chose to remain?

No, that's why they're called leaves .
          Regards
          Richard

Comment

Models are just that models. What about being in control of our own borders, laws and trade agreements. I don't want to be a vassal state self determination is way more important.
            Graham

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...

Comment

Models are just that models. What about being in control of our own borders, laws and trade agreements. I don't want to be a vassal state self determination is way more important.
              In what way are we not already in control of our borders?

Isn't our Government busy preparing legislation to incorporate existing EU laws into our statute book?

After what they've done to Canada do you really expect the USA to give us a good trade deal? Do you think that China will give us any better? How many decades will it take to negotiate new trade deals?
              John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

'They' are 'lah, lah, lahing - can't hear you' at the tops of their voices, Graham and John!

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Zuiko View Post
                  In what way are we not already in control of our borders?

Isn't our Government busy preparing legislation to incorporate existing EU laws into our statute book?

After what they've done to Canada do you really expect the USA to give us a good trade deal? Do you think that China will give us any better? How many decades will it take to negotiate new trade deals?
                  Might as well shut down the government then and stop trying. it will save us a fortune.

Lets leave everything to those wonderful EU folk who know better because they are the elite and know best

As I have said before I don't want to be part of a vassal state. What is it with Remainers who don't give a diddly squat about our country anymore. They just want to sit and take whatever the wondrous EU tells us to do and have an easy life.

We can do a deal with the US or China or India or whoever we choose, if we want to we are grown ups, although I do wonder sometimes
                  Dave

My Flickr

Comment

There is a huge difference in doing a trade deal and mutually agreeing some standard on the things we want to trade.As opposed to being in the EU and being told what to do with no choice but to accept their rules - thats a vassal state.

We have no control over who can come here from the EU apart from blocking criminals. Mr Blair and Co made sure of that.

I have kids too and they are not afraid of going out in to the big bad world and standing up for themselves, they certainly don't need the EU to give them free stuff. They are grown ups, human beings not snowflakes.
                    Dave

My Flickr

Comment

Might as well shut down the government then and stop trying. it will save us a fortune.

Lets leave everything to those wonderful EU folk who know better because they are the elite and know best

As I have said before I don't want to be part of a vassal state. What is it with Remainers who don't give a diddly squat about our country anymore. They just want to sit and take whatever the wondrous EU tells us to do and have an easy life.

We can do a deal with the US or China or India or whoever we choose, if we want to we are grown ups, although I do wonder sometimes
                      What is it with Remainers who don't give a diddly squat about our country anymore.

I could say the same about the Brexiteers voting to leave the EU. The Remainers voted for the future of the UK, their children and their grandchildren, because they care.....so there
                      All the best

Phil
                      https://www.flickr.com/gp/gatekeeperphil/44A3Dc

Comment

Thanks for clarifying how we are presently not in control of our borders.

Regarding the vassal state, we are currently equal partners in Europe - with a veto if we need it. We won't have that power and influence when we leave the EU, instead we will be isolated on the outside looking in, whilst the other 27 nations make decisions that will affect the whole continent and we won't even get a say in the matter.

Sure, we can seek a trade deal with whoever we choose, but that doesn't mean we'll get what we want. Let's face it, what the Government have achieved in negotiating what essentially is a trade deal with Europe in the last two years hardly inspires confidence and doesn't bode well for negotiating with the likes of Donald Trump.
                        John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

We have no control over who can come here from the EU
                          Well, I suppose that once we are able to stop them we will be able to recruit alternative workers from Asia and Africa. It does seem a shame, though, to exclude Europeans on the basis of what continent they come from.
                          John

Comment

I promised myself that I'd not post in this thread again....

I've now reached the following conclusion:

- There's no such thing as a soft Brexit without us becoming a vassal state
                            - Chequers is dead. Any deal that dilutes the single market will be rejected by the EU
                            - Conclusion - we are 100% on course for a no-deal, WTO rules exit
                            - We WILL have a hard border between Eire and Northern Ireland
                            - Relations with the EU will be toxic
                            - The economy WILL take a huge dive
                            - It'll take us a decade at least to get back to where we were
                            - The generation that most wanted to leave will shuffle off the coil
                            - The country will beg to rejoin

Let's set a diary date for Oct 2028 and see if I'm right...
                            Paul
                            E-M1ii, Pen-F and too many lenses
                            flickr
                            Portfolio Site
                            Instagram

Comment

Apparently Theresa May is planning a Brexit Festival in 2022. This post about it in the Guardian is hilarious:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-festival-plan
                              Paul
                              E-M1ii, Pen-F and too many lenses
                              flickr
                              Portfolio Site
                              Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Zuiko View Post
                                Well, I suppose that once we are able to stop them we will be able to recruit alternative workers from Asia and Africa. It does seem a shame, though, to exclude Europeans on the basis of what continent they come from.
                                Where did I say we should stop EU citizens coming here ? If they have the skills we need they are very welcome? If they want a free ride on our World Health Service and our World Social Benefits payments then, no way.

Its called controlling our own borders like most independent countries do!
                                Dave

My Flickr

Comment

Working...
                                X