• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Martin Froggatt
    replied
    Originally posted by Ricoh View Post
    Re: Street Photography by Nick Turpin

I gave up on photography clubs a while ago. The last group I joined had so many photoshopped images I had to resist shouting out... The worst witnessed was a picture of a female model with the moon behind her the size of a giant beach ball. Almost everyone else thought it was wonderful... "oh Dave, please tell us how you managed creating that fab image in Photoshop". I thought they were taking the pi$$, but later on they set up a tutorial group with Dave at the keyboard. God almighty give me strength.
    Absolutely agree Steve. Lots of overprocessed, oversaturated pretentious rubbish was my experience. Minimal intervention for me. Martin.

Leave a comment:

• Ricoh
    replied

Originally posted by RobEW View Post
    In a photography club I go to, it's almost a badge of honour to be a whizz with Photoshop and to do amazing post-processing manipulations. Untinkered photos do occasionally get accolades in their competitions, but not often. I agree - the limited opportunity for post processing with film is a good discipline.
    I gave up on photography clubs a while ago. The last group I joined had so many photoshopped images I had to resist shouting out... The worst witnessed was a picture of a female model with the moon behind her the size of a giant beach ball. Almost everyone else thought it was wonderful... "oh Dave, please tell us how you managed creating that fab image in Photoshop". I thought they were taking the pi$$, but later on they set up a tutorial group with Dave at the keyboard. God almighty give me strength.

Leave a comment:

• RobEW
    replied

I agree!
    Personally I dislike intensely Photoshopping a capture. It's an admission of failure, not being careful about clutter in the frame. Also, wherever possible, I like to keep the full image intact, without cropping. 99.9% of my film images remain FF.
    In a photography club I go to, it's almost a badge of honour to be a whizz with Photoshop and to do amazing post-processing manipulations. Untinkered photos do occasionally get accolades in their competitions, but not often. I agree - the limited opportunity for post processing with film is a good discipline.

Leave a comment:

• Ricoh
    replied

... (I'm guessing it would be inappropriate to the genre to declutter distracting items out of the background, such as the air conditioning unit and two lights above and beyond the revolving door ...)
    I agree!
    Ok, there are no rules to photography, apart from the golden rule: that being there are no rules.
    For guidance only: I would advise looking at the background first, followed by the content between the background and the lens.
    Personally I dislike intensely Photoshopping a capture. It's an admission of failure, not being careful about clutter in the frame. Also, wherever possible, I like to keep the full image intact, without cropping. 99.9% of my film images remain FF.

Leave a comment:

• Zuiko
    replied

Originally posted by Crazy Dave View Post
    Thanks David, his site is certainly worth a visit.

Leave a comment:

• RobEW
    replied

Just did a quick iPad crop by zooming in and I think it looks better without the railings...
    Thanks. I'm still something of a novice and getting my eye in. And for street photos (if that's what this is) a complete novice. Also this is completely free from post processing except automatic RAW conversion (DXO default) and slight cropping. (I'm guessing it would be inappropriate to the genre to declutter distracting items out of the background, such as the air conditioning unit and two lights above and beyond the revolving door ...)

P.S. I've reposted this on the "suggested improvements" board so as to avoid derailing this thread further.

Leave a comment:

• Ricoh
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Zuiko
    replied

I found it useful to see how he operates, but I thought his shoot at the Bank of England was better than Tower Bridge.

Leave a comment:

• Zuiko
    replied

Just did a quick iPad crop by zooming in and I think it looks better without the railings...
    I agree, but they are easily cropped. Nice one!

Leave a comment:

• RobEW
    replied

Black is the least conspicuous of course, but it's irritating having brand names emblazoned on the front of cameras, Olympus, FujiFilm, LUMIX, etc. Apart from using electricians' tape the alternative is to choose a camera without a logo, eg the Leica MP or MA.

Leave a comment:

• Ricoh
    replied

Originally posted by MJ224 View Post
    Maybe the wrong word.. really meant inconspicuous
    Black is the least conspicuous of course, but it's irritating having brand names emblazoned on the front of cameras, Olympus, FujiFilm, LUMIX, etc. Apart from using electricians' tape the alternative is to choose a camera without a logo, eg the Leica MP or MA.

Leave a comment:

• MJ224
    replied

Why do you say 'unbecoming'? The Fuji is close to being pure with almost direct control of the triangular exposure variables. If I was starting today, with the knowledge I have acquired, I'd choose Fuji without a doubt.
    Maybe the wrong word.. really meant inconspicuous

Leave a comment:

• Ricoh
    replied

Why do you say 'unbecoming'? The Fuji is close to being pure with almost direct control of the triangular exposure variables. If I was starting today, with the knowledge I have acquired, I'd choose Fuji without a doubt.

Leave a comment:

• Ricoh
    replied

Originally posted by Crazy Dave View Post
    Thanks for bringing this guys work to my attention; he's very good. I found it interesting too why he's returned to film - much like the reasons I also returned to film (although I do 50:50 approx, 50% digital 50% film).

Leave a comment:

• Ricoh
    replied

I watched it and quite enjoyed it, even though street isn't my thing.

Next day I was wandering round town taking my normal fare of buildings and architectural details, and look what I did by mistake! :-) (I'm not planning to give up the day job ...)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X