X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: REALLY Bad Portraits Competition.

Originally posted by Zuiko View Post
    Thanks, Nick.

I can't sell it as stock, it was a candid and I haven't got model releases.
    Not quite true John. On Alamy (for example) you could upload such an image for stock. When the image has passed QC you have to annotate its "Attributes" these include "How many people in this image" (Ans 2) and "Do you have model releases" (Ans No). If you answer "Yes" you have to upload copies of the releases.

Here in the Uk people pictures without releases can be freely used for editoral work, newspapers, magazines books etc. What they should not be used for is advertising as it implies that the people in the picture endorse the product (which they might not!).

My best ever sale on Alamy was a picture of a group of students sitting on steps eating lunch. The agency contacted me to ask whether I knew any of them as a buyer wanted it for advertising. I said no I did not and as there were in fact 12 people in the picture no way would I have model releases.

The client bought it anyway (for an in-shop advert for mobile phones). The responsibility for deciding whether or not an image was suitable for advertising lies with the publisher and both I and Alamy made it clear that we did not have releases.

If I had a picture like yours it would certainly be in my stock collection where it would be an excellent candidate for editorial use.

The only thing I don't understand is why on earth you thought it appropriate for "BAD Portrait" it looks really good to me, but there, what do I know....
    Peter J

OM-D E-M1 OMD-E-M5ii Various Olympus lenses

Comment

Originally posted by LMGruchy View Post

Since - sniff - ths was deemed to not be a landscape, I thought I'd enter it here.

The viewer is asked to copntemplate this portrate on many levels. There is the Nod to The Scream, and then there is the concept of Food as Man and man as food. There isd the inate violence of the image with the maw screaming and the cauliflower, I mean broccoli ears.

(If we have a really bad Still Life Comp I'll bung it in there.)
      The "Nod to The Scream" is surpassed only by the "One Size Fits All" interpretation and the forward looking approach to the theme of "REALLY Bad..."

It also has the making of a "stock" image (Vegetable that is)
      Last edited by Graham_of_Rainham; 20th November 2011, 04:56 PM. Reason: further thoughts
      Graham

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...

Comment

Been looking for a place to upload this.......
        Keith

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]

E500,E510 now dead,E520 (now retired),E600 and Grip,14-42,14-45,2x40-150,Sigmas 105 and 135-400 Now Dead..ex 25. Manfrotto 190. Plus lots of OM stuff.
        Now also 4 items from the dark side...........

Comment

Originally posted by Pjphoto59 View Post
          Not quite true John. On Alamy (for example) you could upload such an image for stock. When the image has passed QC you have to annotate its "Attributes" these include "How many people in this image" (Ans 2) and "Do you have model releases" (Ans No). If you answer "Yes" you have to upload copies of the releases.

Here in the Uk people pictures without releases can be freely used for editoral work, newspapers, magazines books etc. What they should not be used for is advertising as it implies that the people in the picture endorse the product (which they might not!).

My best ever sale on Alamy was a picture of a group of students sitting on steps eating lunch. The agency contacted me to ask whether I knew any of them as a buyer wanted it for advertising. I said no I did not and as there were in fact 12 people in the picture no way would I have model releases.

The client bought it anyway (for an in-shop advert for mobile phones). The responsibility for deciding whether or not an image was suitable for advertising lies with the publisher and both I and Alamy made it clear that we did not have releases.

If I had a picture like yours it would certainly be in my stock collection where it would be an excellent candidate for editorial use.

The only thing I don't understand is why on earth you thought it appropriate for "BAD Portrait" it looks really good to me, but there, what do I know....
          Exactly, plus if my memory is correct, in the UK if the photo was taken in a public place you don't require model releases.
          It's the image that's important, not the tools used to make it.

David M's Photoblog

Comment

I wondered how the 'Really Bad...' thread had got shorter and then realised I had failed to keep up.
            I'm useless at Portraits so here is one on someone elses behalf.
            They say you should use a bit of telephoto for portrait but 300mm????

Duncan

Lots of toys.

Comment

Yeah Duncan, look at how such a short focal length ( ) has distorted the facial features! Hideous.

Comment

Oh God....that's scary!

Janet
                My flickr photostream....

Comment

Originally posted by David M View Post
                  Exactly, plus if my memory is correct, in the UK if the photo was taken in a public place you don't require model releases.
                  No, in my experience you have to have a model release for commercial (aka advertising) irrespective of whether or not the image is taken in a public place.

There are all sorts of other problems that can arise if you take images in non-public places, but the publishers and photographers who get in trouble with this are often those who try to take pictures of celebrities in unflattering or compromising circumstances. This can lead to litigation even if the photographer is in a public place and, say, using a long telephoto lens, to picture a subject on private property. The law comes down on the side of the subject if they can demonstrate that they are somewhere where they could have a "reasonable expectation" of privacy.

Hey! this stuff should be in the business section not in among BAD Portraits...
                  Peter J

OM-D E-M1 OMD-E-M5ii Various Olympus lenses

Comment

Hehe, it's my fault for posting that picture - interesting debate, though.

Regarding whether the picture is good or bad I suspect the ladies, if they were asked, would rate it as bad!
                    John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

Perhaps. But I find them vvery expressive and interesting.

I suppose it also raises the question, should a portrait be posed or captured? To me, a portrait is something deliberate, not a chance event.
                      http://lindagruchy.wordpress.com/

My Flickr Photostream

Comment

Originally posted by LMGruchy View Post
                        Perhaps. But I find them vvery expressive and interesting.

I suppose it also raises the question, should a portrait be posed or captured? To me, a portrait is something deliberate, not a chance event.
                        You're right, it's a candid, not a portrait! I shall disqualify myself!
                        John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

Originally posted by Zuiko View Post
                          Hehe, it's my fault for posting that picture - interesting debate, though.

Regarding whether the picture is good or bad I suspect the ladies, if they were asked, would rate it as bad!
                          John I dont know where and at what event, you took the ladies Portrait - but it would be "in place" for Goodwood Revival and then could be a winner !
                          [I].
                          I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
                          Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album

Comment

Originally posted by Chevvyf1 View Post
                            John I dont know where and at what event, you took the ladies Portrait - but it would be "in place" for Goodwood Revival and then could be a winner !
                            It was in May this year at the Mid Suffolk Show. There was a 1940's dance group doing a display and these two ladies were taking a break.
                            John

Comment

Ah! ha! Thanks John ! What I thought was nice, the Ladies were "sitting as ladies should" ....

... not legs agape !
                              [I].
                              I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
                              Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album

Comment

My fortune winning enrty into "REALLY Bad Portraits":

Here we bare witness to the meeting of the urban clad and easily identifiable, with that of the rural semi-camoflaged. The contrast in style suggests the nature in which each approaches their chosen subject and the way in which the final picture will translate to the viewer.
                                Last edited by Graham_of_Rainham; 21st November 2011, 03:39 PM. Reason: Forgot to announce it...
                                Graham

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...

Comment

Working...
                                X