Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi from West Yorkshire

Hi All,

Finally treated myself to a decent camera as retirement approaches and with it the time to indulge myself.

I dabbled with a Pentax a few decades ago, and took enough half-decent photos of the kids to convince myself that I could see a good picture. But time and cost meant that it got parked in the attic.

Well, thanks to Jessop's Christmas offers I've finally got an OM. They were always the only camera I really wanted as from the OM-1 onwards they just looked right - designed to be picked up and used and sit happily in the hand.

The OM-E D5 II and 12-40 F2.8 Pro was the cheapest combination of weatherproof body and lens that I can take off backpacking into Scotland with confidence.

Home is West Yorkshire - think of the landscapes of "Happy Valley" and "Gentleman Jack", though I split my time each week between home and Edinburgh, so I'm spoilt for countryside and castles.

I'll freely admit that I'm a beginner, so I'm reading through the tutorials with gratitude to all who've posted there. Hopefully I'll be posting photos in the "treat me gently" thread once I've got some where my P, A,S or even M efforts don't look too bad compared to the iAuto ones.

Re: Hi from West Yorkshire

Welcome. We're a generally friendly bunch here so feel free to ask questions and get involved!
    Paul
    E-M1ii, Pen-F and too many lenses
    flickr
    Portfolio Site
    Instagram

Comment

Welcome from another Yorkshireman, that's the kit I'm shooting with mostly now too. It's a great combination.
      Junk on Flickr
      Even more Junk on Instagram

Comment

Welcome, looking forward to seeing some pictures!
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/amcuk/

Comment

A warm welcome. You have a great combination of kit which should server you well; the OM-D E-M5 is (as intended) the true successor to the old OM series film cameras.
          Cameras: E-M5, E-PM2, OM40, OM4Ti
          Lenses (M.Zuiko Digital): 7-14mm/F2.8, 12-40mm/F2.8, 40-150mm/F2.8+TC1.4x, 12-50mm/F3.5-6.3, 14-42mm/F3.5-5.6 EZ, M.ZD 40-150 F4-5.6 R, 75-300mm/F4.8-6.7 Mk1, 12mm/F2, 17mm/F1.8
          Lenses (OM Zuiko): 50mm/F1.2, 24mm/F2, 35mm/F2.8 shift
          Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
          Learn something new every day

Comment

Thanks to all who've said "Hi", the welcome is appreciated.

Before I post to the Foto Fair, is it good manners on the site to post jpg or is raw allowed for the greater detail?

I've already learnt that raw captures the maximum possible detail, and you can choose how much of that you want later in post-processing. But this site will have hosting costs, so uploading jpgs allows around twice the number of images to be hosted than the ORF raw format.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyOldMan View Post
              Thanks to all who've said "Hi", the welcome is appreciated.

Before I post to the Foto Fair, is it good manners on the site to post jpg or is raw allowed for the greater detail?

I've already learnt that raw captures the maximum possible detail, and you can choose how much of that you want later in post-processing. But this site will have hosting costs, so uploading jpgs allows around twice the number of images to be hosted than the ORF raw format.
              RAW files are not photos as such, and thus are unable to be posted in normal sense. You will have to edit or just convert the RAW to a JPEG* to be able to post here.

* Not sure what other formats this forum is able to accept...:-(

Lets see some photos, you might even have a go with the monthly Challenge...Good luck..

Comment

Hi MJ224,

First, apologies that it's taken me till now to reply. You'd taken the trouble to reply to me and to advise me about RAW not being an image file type. I hadn't realised that, but when I then read in the Olympus Workspace Help pdf that RAW could not be exported, then it clicked into place why not.

I'll be posting my (increasing) list of questions as the weeks go by, and putting some images up too - though I guess we all take a deep breath before posting our first few photos.

Thanks again.

Comment

Welcome to the forum from me too. Looking forward to seeing your images.
                  http://www.flickr.com/photos/flip_photo_flickr/

Comment

Welcome from another new forum member

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    Scroll To Top Scroll To Center Scroll To Bottom