CONFIRMED: West Wales & Skomer Island meet: June 4th/5th 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ARRANGING: Skomer Island meet: one or two of - June 3rd/4th/5th 2010

I can't do that date either - really sorry, but we're away until the Friday and will have too much to sort out - animals, garden, etc.

Hope to make it to Bristol, or another one sometime.

Cindy
    Cindy

Cameras: EM1 MK2 and Mk1, E-620, E-410, Om4Ti
    Lenses: 12-60, 50-200, Panny 100-400, 9-18, ZD 50mm, 14-54 Mk1, 70-300, 40-150, 14-42, OM 50mm F3.5 macro
    Also: EC14, EX25, FS35, Vanguard tripod, and far too many bags!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The air of heaven is that which flows between a horse's ears...."

Comment

Oh dear, looks as though I am going to be on my tod then...! ah well.
      John

Comment

OK, I thought I'd start a list of who may or may not be interested, easier to administrate this way.

theMusicMan, John: Yes
        dbutch, Dave:
        E-3, James:
        shenstone, Andy:
        Wreckdiver, Steve: No
        pasterw, Wolfgang:
        j.baker, John & Teresa:
        woofmix, Paul:
        mike_j, Mike:
        PaulE, Paul:
        The Saint, Simon:
        Melaka, David:
        steverh, Steve:
        Ian Grego, Ian:
        JackBenedict, Jack?:
        oly_om, Andy:
        mike_j, Mike:
        cinders, Cindy:
        alexs, Alex:
        yorky, ?:
        StephenL, Stephen:
        John

Comment

Hi John,

I know - I have been trying to get some accom for the friday night ( if I am able to go ) and I am having difficulty getting accom at the moment. I have been checking out Broadhaven as it isn't too far from Martins Haven.

Comment

OK, I thought I'd start a list of who may or may not be interested, easier to administrate this way.

John's West Wales eGroup meeting, Marloes Peninsular (or near) sunset/sunrise photo-walk, Skomer Island, Friday 4th and Sat 5th June 2010

Summary:

Yes = 5
            No = 11
            TBC = 0
            Unconfirmed (as of 19th May) = 9 (please can you confirm asap, ta)

theMusicMan, John: Yes (arriving on Friday morning, staying in the Crest B&B, Little Haven)
            dbutch, Dave:
            E-3, James: No
            shenstone, Andy:
            Wreckdiver, Steve: No
            pasterw, Wolfgang:
            j.baker, John & Teresa: Yes *2 (arriving on Friday morning, staying at Haven Fort Hotel, Little Haven)
            woofmix, Paul:
            PaulE, Paul:
            The Saint, Simon: No
            Melaka, David: No
            steverh, Steve: No
            Ian Grego, Ian:
            JackBenedict, Phil: No
            oly_om, Andy:
            mike_j, Mike: Yes
            cinders, Cindy: No
            alexs, Alex: No
            yorky, ?: No
            StephenL, Stephen: No
            RAC, Richard: Yes (looking for accommodation & staying overnight, meeting up on Friday pm.)
            benvendatta, Dave: No

All - I shall try to keep this list as up-to-date as I can so you can see current stats. Thanks.
            Last edited by theMusicMan; 29th May 2010, 09:57 AM.
            John

Comment

Teresa and I are up for this. The dates are fine as well.

Comment

Originally posted by j.baker View Post
                Teresa and I are up for this. The dates are fine as well.
                OK John thanks, I shall add you and Teresa to the Friday as this looks as though it will be when I am going down. Don't forget to seek out accommodation.
                John

Comment

Any one have suggestions on accommodation at or near the location?

Comment

Originally posted by j.baker View Post
                    Any one have suggestions on accommodation at or near the location?
                    Hi John

If you do a Google search for accommodation in the following areas, I am sure there will be something that would suit your tastes;

In order of closest to Skomer Island...

Marloes
                    St Brides
                    Dale
                    Little Haven (I am staying at a B&B here, right on the top of a cliff above Little Haven... )
                    Broad Haven
                    Newgale
                    Haverfordwest
                    John

Comment

OK, I know there are lots of posts and updates in here today, but for those coming along, I also wanted to mention that I will be putting together an agenda for what I will be doing through the day and at what time I intend to be at each location.

When I do this, though I appreciate you may be wanting to spend more time at some locations, I want to plan a photo-walk at several locations where we can take in as much as is possible in the limited time available. No specific times as to when I intend to be at these locations, but typically I will be visiting the following;
                      • Friday
                        • Solva - a natural harbour, and very picturesque
                        • St Davids Cathedral - a fair way off (some 20 miles) but worth it. Not 100% I'll go there yet, but a possibility.
                        • Newgale beach - long stretch of sandy beach
                        • Nolton Haven: small, shallow beach with lovely steep cliff-sides
                        • Marloes Sands: another beautiful stretch of fairly isolated beach, rocky outcrops brilliant for long exposure photos - likely to visit this
                        • Westdale beach: stunning, simply stunning. Very likely to visit.
                        • Broad Haven, Druidston: Another lovely long sandy beach, with rock pools. Might take some later afternoon long exposures there.
                        • Somewhere for sunset pics: not sure exactly where; Little Haven possibly

• Saturday:
                        • Skomer Island

There, a taster to what I'll be up to. Hope you can join me.
                      Last edited by theMusicMan; 10th May 2010, 02:35 PM.
                      John

Comment

Comment

Just opposite where I am staying, John. I guess a nice pub meal is on the cards following the sunset photo-walk, eh

Hope we get more people wanting to come along on this trip.
                          John

Comment

Regret, I will be unable to get down, I was down in April but unfortunatly they were not landing that day or the one previous. I don't question their judgement at all but here was very little wind that day, it would seem a long way to come on the off chance of landing. I do hope you have better luck than I.

Comment

Originally posted by yorky View Post
                              Regret, I will be unable to get down, I was down in April but unfortunatly they were not landing that day or the one previous. I don't question their judgement at all but here was very little wind that day, it would seem a long way to come on the off chance of landing. I do hope you have better luck than I.
                              Shame, but I do fully understand your position, yorky. However what I will say in defense of the crew, is that there doesn't need to be a lot of wind, but if it's from the North it causes a huge swell right into the jetty where the Dale Princess lands on Skomer. This is a precarious position, right into the cliff face - you come off the boat right at the front, as the boat faces directly onto the cliff on landing, engines running - there is no walk way or other comfortable place to get off. So, any Northerly causes rough landing and it's in those conditions that the boat won't land.
                              John

Comment

Re: CONFIRMED: West Wales & Skomer Island meet: June 4th/5th 2010

Hi John, I was right, I have already got a commitment on that weekend (thanks to her indoors) I am very, very dissapointed that I cant come, but hope you have a fabulous time & post lots of pictures
                                Regards James.

Comment

Working...
                                X