• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Melaka
    replied
    Re: Oly bags

Originally posted by Glyn R View Post
    Why should rechargables not work on FL-50. My FL-36 works fine with 2 NiMH batteries. It also works fine with Litium and Alkaline.
    NiMh work OK in my FL50. I thought the problem was just with the HLD4.

Leave a comment:

• Glyn R
    replied

Originally posted by Ijay37 View Post
    oops sorry these batteries only work for a few minutes!
    John
    Why should rechargables not work on FL-50. My FL-36 works fine with 2 NiMH batteries. It also works fine with Litium and Alkaline.

Leave a comment:

• Bo_Nydahl
    replied

Got an email from Olympus today stating that I should receive my bag within two weeks.

Mike

Leave a comment:

• Melaka
    replied

Originally posted by Ian View Post
    Unofficial indications from Olympus are that the AA battery functionality problem is due for a fix fairly soon. My only worry is that NiMH rechargeables aren't, as far as I can see, mentioned as compatible; only alkalines and Lithium type batteries. But we will find out sooner or later.

Ian
    It's true that NiMh are not mentioned in the literature and we can hardly complain if they don't work. However the LBH1 with 3xCR123As is an official replacement for the BLM1 (it's supplied in lieu of the BLM1 in some E500 SE kits to keep the price down) so should presumably work. My LBH1 works in the E3 but not in the grip. Have Olympus said anything about that please? CR123As are quite widely available, though less so than AAs, and make a viable alternative in emergency. Being lithium they may have a longer working life.

Leave a comment:

• Ian
    replied

Originally posted by theMusicMan View Post
    Thanks for the info Ian. I am curious though as to what the issue might be that causes the grip to fail when used with these batteries...? Have Olympus given you any indication...?
    No inside info on the technicals, but I have seen some similar issues in other cameras when using AAs. I never managed to get any of the Sigma SD9/10 DSLRs I had on review to work with NiMH rechargeables properly, but alkaline AAs were OK.

Of course there are voltage differences - all three types of battery operate at different voltages (1.5V for alkalines, 1.2V for NiMH rechargeables and 7.2V for lithium ion rechargeables), so I can only guess that the batter ydetection system is not properly calibrated for AAs, which points to a factory problem.

When using heavy duty alkalines (Duracell Ultra M3) I'm pretty convinced that the battery status system is simply wrongly calibrated. But I'm not so sure about some types of standard alkaline, as when I tried these the camera wouldn't even power up properly. Lithiums have around 8 times the capacity of alkalines but these behaved in exactly the same way as the Ultra M3s - you can take a handful of shots, then the battery depleted sign stops play. Power off and back on immediately and the battery indicator says full capacity - but only for a small number of shots.

I couldn't get my NiMHs to work - the battery indicator showed flat from initial power up. My only hope is that my NiMHs are a bit of a mixed bag of old and new, os maybe with a carefully cared for new set things might be better.

What's the solution? Good question - probably a firmware upgrade. But I suppose the AA battery holder could be modified as well - pure speculation on my part though.

Ian

Leave a comment:

• theMusicMan
    replied

Thanks for the info Ian. I am curious though as to what the issue might be that causes the grip to fail when used with these batteries...? Have Olympus given you any indication...?

Leave a comment:

• Ian
    replied

John
    Unofficial indications from Olympus are that the AA battery functionality problem is due for a fix fairly soon. My only worry is that NiMH rechargeables aren't, as far as I can see, mentioned as compatible; only alkalines and Lithium type batteries. But we will find out sooner or later.

Ian

Leave a comment:

• art frames
    replied

Nick

I had the same email, it's a bit of a pity that I was told the same 'within two weeks line' a week ago as well. So I will now see whether it is a week or two. I am assuming this email went to everyone who registered as I had two copies (I registered twice!) as the site froze the first time.

I wonder if I'll still be an E3 owner by then! It may have to all go back tomorrow with focus problems!

Peter

Leave a comment:

• Nick Temple-Fry
    replied

Just arrived in e-mail

Dear customer,

Thank you for registering your interest in the new E-3 and participating in our "Backpack Promotion".

Please be informed that the backpacks will be distributed within the next two weeks.

If you have any questions or we can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us at the following address: [email protected]

We hope you enjoy your new E-3 and wish you all the best for taking great images in the future!

Kind regards,
    Your Olympus Team

Now that's more like it Olympus

Nick

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

I had not realised that rechargables did not work and I have just bought an 8 cell charger and 8 Ni-MH batteries still I shouldn't run out of power for my FL 50. Sainsbbury's extra power batteries work fine in the HLD 4.
    John
    John

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Cheers Peter for your good wishes, I'm looking forward to it after such a long wait. I'm just glad that I didn't miss out on one of the promotions.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Originally posted by brob108 View Post
    Well, I've had some good news in the last couple of days. Warehouse Express have been in contact about my failed E3 order before Christmas and the Olympus rep has kindly agreed that I can claim the backpack promotion as the hold ups weren't of my doing.

I'm getting the E3 tomorrow morning so I'll be out with it over the weekend.

Many thanks to both Olympus and Warehouse Express for sorting things out for me.

I am really pleased for you and good shooting for the weekend. Don't forget to post some images in the gallery

PeterD

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Well, I've had some good news in the last couple of days. Warehouse Express have been in contact about my failed E3 order before Christmas and the Olympus rep has kindly agreed that I can claim the backpack promotion as the hold ups weren't of my doing.

I'm getting the E3 tomorrow morning so I'll be out with it over the weekend.

Many thanks to both Olympus and Warehouse Express for sorting things out for me.

Leave a comment:

• DerekW
    replied

Olympus have been hit by several events, some could be foreseen and some could not.

1 The web based marketing campaign was very successful, at the LCE Digital Camera Fest in Southampton at the end of November one of the Oly reps said that they had sold two months supply in two weeks in the UK. Hence the demand for the freebies was higher than expected.

2 The weather in Europe was not very good so it took a few weeks for users to get to grips with the camera.

3 The Christmas break gave users time to explore the camera and talk over the forums to others about their findings

4 Olympus offices in Europe would be either closed or on reduced staffing level due to the holidays and the forecast demand for the cameras

5 The number of faults discovered or questions raised are very high because of the above conditions

Net result Olympus staff have been over run with issues on freebie distribution and issue handling.

Message for customers - do not buy based on a web campaign.

Leave a comment:

• peak4
    replied

I know this thread was about bags, but grips do seem to surface here and there. It would seem that there is an issue with the grips and battery indication etc. so I understand that thier dispatch may have been delayed until the problem has been nailed down. It would be even worse to send them out and then do a recall.

For myself I bought the E-3 on 23/11 registered and claimed for grip and bag on the same day. Received a read receipt on 26th/11 from Kalle, but no reply.

Mailed Oly on Sun 2nd about missing DVD and received a proper reply the following day informing me who I needed to contact to have one delivered.
    Personally I would have thought that should have been dealt with internally, but either way I mailed the other address and received the DVD in double quick time, so I've no real complaint at all.

Mailed them again on Sun 16th Dec asking about bag and grip and again got read receipt the following day, this time from Andre, but no reply.

Mailed again about this and another matter some time between Christmas and new year and received neither receipt or reply.

Joined E-club on-line on 31st Dec, got auto confirmation of membership, followed by another mail saying my Maestro card had been rejected and that I should reply with my card details on the e-mail (to the imaging.news address). I reluctantly did so, but failed to get read receipt or reply.

Phoned a week later explaining that they had my account details, but that I had no read receipt and no withdrawl had been made. Transfered to another helpdesk to complete the transaction. They could not deal over the phone, but suggested I re-apply on line with a different card and bank account.
    I pointed out that I didn't want two memberships to go through, as I could see at this point that getting a refund would be even harder than paying in the first place.

Very helpful and friendly chap wrote down the e-mail address I had registered with, (the same one that my kit is registered through), but would not take membership number or name, promising to pass the note on to his colleague.
    I enquired, whilst I was on the line, if he knew anything about when the grips and bags were to be dispatched. He didn't, but would pass the query on to the same colleague as he was dealing with that too.

Currently still no debit from my account or reply from said colleague of Eric's about membership, grip or bag. I suspect the poor chap might be getting a bit snowed under with paperwork/email if he is only the one doing it.

I'll keep you posted if there is any change.

I'm pleased to say that my camera seems to keep focussed, unlike the company.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X