Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The big E-1 grip give-away...

Originally posted by steverh View Post
    There are some fantastic pictures on your site...

Were they taken with an E1? How is it done?
    Same question from me - fantastic images.

And how did you break your grip?

Comment

I've seen panoramas some time ago, but these are great. Yep please, how are they done?

Sam

Comment

Especially what's your method with an E-1 - yours are fantastic.

Comment

Originally posted by E-1 fan View Post
          Same question from me - fantastic images.

And how did you break your grip?
          I must be getting old... I got the E-1 out just to take some snaps of a phone I wanted to sell on e-bay (I'd never used ebay to sell things before) and it just fell out of my hands onto our tiled floor in the kitchen. I should have used my P&S camera... Luckily it was the bottom of the grip that hit first. The grip split along the joint and cracked around where the control buttons are. It is still usable but the split means it won't align accurately on my panoramic head anymore. Amazingly the E-1 seems to be fine as far as I can tell.

Thanks for the compliments on the panoramas. Yes - they are all taken with my E-1 and 7-14mm. How are they done - I'll try and be brief...!

Shooting panoramas has evolved a lot over the years. I used to use an OM-1 and a Sigma 14mm, (which is now gathering dust in our loft). Scanning each film frame was very time consuming as well as stitching each panorama manually. This was pre-digital btw.

All you're aiming to do is simply rotate the camera capturing the whole scene as quickly as you can so things like clouds don't move too much. Interestingly people don't seem to matter all that much - if they are moving around they either get blended out, or are ok, or appear twice!

At one time all you could do was capture a single row of shots, nowadays with modern software you can point the camera upwards and downwards to record all parts of a scene.

You can do this just by holding the camera and trying to rotate it around the lens (I shuffle my feet) rather than swinging your arms around, keeping it level, portrait mode, etc. I shoot partial panoramas like this when on holiday with my P&S camera and it can work fine for landscape shots. When riding my bike up hills abroad I sometimes only have my mobile phone/camera with me and its a great way to increase the resolution and take much wider shots. I use Callico from kekus.com to stitch the images. There are lots of other packages out there to do this kind of thing. Most of them are based on something called 'Autostitch' from the University of Columbia.

However - if you want to capture a whole 'sphere' as I do it gets a bit more involved. You have to rotate the camera body around it's 'nodal point' or 'entrance pupil' to avoid parallax so the images will align easily as possible. I use a custom made panoramic head from 360precision.com Mine is now called the 'Absolute' and it isn't cheap! With the lens set at 7mm I shoot 3 images pointing upwards at 45 degrees, 6 horizontally, and 3 downwards, 12 in all. Outdoors I also bracket these +-2 stops to have the option to create a HDR image should I choose to. There isn't enough overlap at 7mm to be able to just shoot one image upwards...

Landscapes are more tolerant of parallax errors, tight interiors much less so, hence the need for precision.

All the camera settings have to be set to manual - focus, exposure and white balance so nothing changes as you rotate the camera for each shot. There are lots of other little refinements as well - I use a cable release, special Gitzo tripod with a levelling mount to speed things up, etc...

Postprocessing:

If I have bracketed I have some clever scripts on the computer to sort all the images into individual folders of 12 images - this really would take ages manually. Sometimes I sort the raw files and then develop, sometimes the other way round.

I develop the raw images with Oly Studio and then stitch with PTMac from Kekus.

The clever bit is I have created a template to do this so it's all automatic and I can batch stitch any number of panoramas without having to be at the computer. A quad processor machine running as 3ghz means each pano stitches in around 20 minutes rather than over 2 hours as it used to take on a much older machine.

I end up with an 8000 x4000 pixel image which is called an equirectangular image - exactly like an image of the earth stretched into a rectangle - so the top and bottom edges are very distorted. This isn't usually too noticeable in the sky bit, but means the ground is quite badly distorted and has to be cropped out. This is only an issue if you want to print it out as a conventional image. I have printed out some very large images on canvas for clients and they seem very pleased with the results

To display the pano as a movable Quicktime 'QTVR movie' I run the image through another programme - 'CubicConverter' - where I can add my logo to the bottom of the sphere (it's a cube though actually...) to cover up the tripod legs. (It is possible to shoot a downward pointing image to cover this up - but I don't bother these days as I find it takes too long to post-process.)

If you want more resolution you shoot at a longer focal length, but you have to take a lot more images. For a little while I used the 14-54mm at 14mm and had to stitch 36 images!! There is no issue with distrotion as you end up with the same equirectangular type of image whatever focal length you use.

I am thinking of going the other way - I want to use the 8mm fisheye so I can take a pano in fewer shots - I might be able to get away with 4 horizontally and 1 upwards. I will have to upgrade my head first though.

You don't have to be this involved for occasional panoramas. If you don't use a precision / repeatable head it simply means you have to manually stitch each pano you do - which can take a LOT of time. On the 360precision site they have a little 'cost effectiveness' chart comparing the number of panos taken and post processing time, etc.

The technology is marching on - one day, even now possibly, the software will be so good at stitching it might mean you don't have be so precise at the shooting stage.

There are a number of other techniques out there as well - one shot systems and high-res computer controlled moving cameras.

There's lots of info on the web of course... fromparis.com has some brilliant panos as well as excellent video tutorials on the whole process:

http://fromparis.com/html/technical_..._in_10mnts.php

I'll try an upload an image of my head.

That covers some of the techie stuff, aesthetics, where and when is the best place to take a pano, etc is another whole topic of conversation, and probably more important!
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Keith; 16th March 2008, 12:15 PM.

Comment

That has to be workflow of the year!!

Comment

Fantastic Keith. I must give this a go. Thanks for taking the trouble to set that out.

Good warning about the dangers of tiled floors in kitchens - I've got one of those too aarrgh!
              Good way to get rid of those Pyrex bowls you had as wedding presents many years ago

Comment

Keith

Thank you for the images and the instruction!

I am heading off in early June to see what I can get in the area between Inverness/Plockton/Skye/Mallaig/Lomond and was previously looking at using a longer lens than the 7-14 as I always seem to have problems with uneven sky.

However I will persevere and may get some of the software you indicate rather than playing around in CS3...

Thanks again - inspiring
                E, Pen and OM-D bodies
                43 m43 and legacy glass
                loads of flashes and accessories from all the systems

Comment

Originally posted by photo_owl View Post
                  Keith

Thank you for the images and the instruction!

I am heading off in early June to see what I can get in the area between Inverness/Plockton/Skye/Mallaig/Lomond and was previously looking at using a longer lens than the 7-14 as I always seem to have problems with uneven sky.

Thanks again - inspiring
                  Uneven sky is usually an exposure thing - make sure the camera is set to manual exposure and your software has a really good blending algorithm thing... I use Photomatix to do the HDR part of things.

I know that area of Scotland very well... I will be paddling my sea kayak there both May bank holiday weeks.

Comment

always manual exposure, I just seem to get a degree of variation across the 7-14 with blue skies.

I will be in my boat those weeks too - fishing the Alderney/Guernsey banks for turbot if the weather plays ball!
                    E, Pen and OM-D bodies
                    43 m43 and legacy glass
                    loads of flashes and accessories from all the systems

Comment

Grip has just arrived!

Many thanks Olympus and Ian.

Comment

Xpres by name - express by nature

I feel like one the the Fry's Five Boys - "Anticipation!"

Comment

WooHoo!...my grip has just arrived. Many thanks Ian and Olympus - I am one very happy E-System fan.
                          visit my website www.photoark.co.uk

Comment

HLD-2 Grip arrived this morning - battery now charging! Many thanks to Ian and Olympus for this initiative - I wonder if Olympus will ever give away the 50-200 lens!!

Bryan

Comment

Ah - good to hear that they are arriving

Ian
                              Founder and editor of:
                              Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
                              Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
                              Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
                              Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
                              Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
                              Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
                              NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
                              sigpic

Comment

Ian,

Mine arrived today, many thanks to you and Olympus. Battery on charge now, when its ready I'll be checking whether it really does speed up focus on the old 50-200!
                                Peter J

OM-D E-M1 OMD-E-M5ii Various Olympus lenses

Comment

Working...
                                X