Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Olympus reveals optically stabilised m.Zuiko 300mm f/4 telephoto

Originally posted by Kiwi Paul View Post
    The price is disappointing, especially compared to the Pany 100-400.
    I think the 300mm will be the pro's choice due to ultimately better IQ and slightly faster speed but the cheaper and more versatile Pany 100-400 will be the choice for most non pro's.
    I can't really justify either lens as I don't use that focal range enough and the 40-150 + 1.4 TC provides enough range for me, but who knows, I may get tempted, but will wait for reviews etc of both lenses.

Paul
    I have had a play with a pre-production Panasonic 100-400 and it promises to be a very fine lens but at 300mm it has already reached f/5.6 so it's a whole stop slower than the Olympus 300. I would be astonished if the Panasonic was anywhere close to the Olympus on IQ too.

Ian
    Founder and editor of:
    Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
    Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
    Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
    Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
    Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
    Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
    NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
    sigpic

Comment

Some "interesting" words and pictures here
      Graham

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...

Comment

Originally posted by Ian View Post
        I have had a play with a pre-production Panasonic 100-400 and it promises to be a very fine lens but at 300mm it has already reached f/5.6 so it's a whole stop slower than the Olympus 300. I would be astonished if the Panasonic was anywhere close to the Olympus on IQ too.

Ian
        Yes the f6.2 @ 400mm for the Pany lens is slower than I'd like, of course with modern sensors the ISO can be increased a few stops without any due concern, but ideally a faster lens is still preferable. I agree about the IQ, a dedicated top of the range prime will ultimately be better than a zoom but I guess it's the question of how much is that last bit of IQ worth paying for?

Once the dust settles it will be interesting to see how popular either lens is.

I'm sure they will both have buyers, but who have different preferences and ideals.

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Ian View Post
          You mean of course 600mm f/4 full frame equivalent (apart from DOF, which will be f/8 equivalent).

We will have to wait and see what the image quality is like. Weight is likely to be a factor of the quantity of glass used although the tripod mount/collar also contributes a fair bit. It's half the weight of the ZD 300mm f/4 and shorter as well.

USM on the Canon is, I doubt, any faster and it will be useless for video even with an appropriate AF-compatible adapter (or even on a Canon body for that matter).

Ian
          http://www.wingsofnature.org

Comment

Olympus 300mm x 1.4 TC = 420mm versus Panasonic 400mm at long end is not much of a deal. But for those who want reach and are willing to put up with a slower lens I think the decision would be seriously skewed to Oly if they announced that they were considering a x2 TC. Just dreaming really.
            Cameras: E-M5, E-PM2, OM40, OM4Ti
            Lenses (M.Zuiko Digital): 7-14mm/F2.8, 12-40mm/F2.8, 40-150mm/F2.8+TC1.4x, 12-50mm/F3.5-6.3, 14-42mm/F3.5-5.6 EZ, M.ZD 40-150 F4-5.6 R, 75-300mm/F4.8-6.7 Mk1, 12mm/F2, 17mm/F1.8
            Lenses (OM Zuiko): 50mm/F1.2, 24mm/F2, 35mm/F2.8 shift
            Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
            Learn something new every day

Comment

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Graham_of_Rainham View Post
                  I'd be interested to know what a "Barrel-mounted one-finger photo clutch" is
                  My guess would be a system that allows manual focus override with a singe finger, but it does deserve some explanation as a phrase!
                  Mike
                  Compulsive photographic Dabbler.
                  Flickr

Comment

The reviews are coming out thick-n-fast. I found THIS one was quite good.
                    Graham

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...

Comment

If I purchased this lens, from Amazon.de for example, at a better price than I can obtain it in UK, would the Olympus warranty be valid?

I would think that the warranty would be valid as it was purchased within the Eurozone from an authorised supplier therefore, not a grey import.

Can anyone confirm?

Interestingly, the lens is available to (pre) order on Amazon.de but does not yet appear on Amazon.uk.

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by DavyG View Post
                        If I purchased this lens, from Amazon.de for example, at a better price than I can obtain it in UK, would the Olympus warranty be valid?

I would think that the warranty would be valid as it was purchased within the Eurozone from an authorised supplier therefore, not a grey import.

Can anyone confirm?

Interestingly, the lens is available to (pre) order on Amazon.de but does not yet appear on Amazon.uk.

Dave
                        If you ordered from Amazon.de, what exchange rate would you get? There might be extra banking charges too?

Comment

The price seems reasonable to me for what the lens delivers in IQ, size & weight.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiW8gdkc5mw"]Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm f/4 Pro - 4K video (shot with Panasonic GX8) - YouTube[/ame]

It will also appeal to the Panasonic enthusiasts too.

Tom
                          "Who is watching the Watchers, watching the Watchers watching us"

Its not what you see, it's the way that you see it"

Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/photofxstudios

Comment

Originally posted by TonyR View Post
                            If you ordered from Amazon.de, what exchange rate would you get? There might be extra banking charges too?
                            When I purchased from Amazon.de in the past, I believe the exchange rate I received was almost the same as that quoted as that day's exchange rate on the BBC business page, I purchased using my credit card and I think the charge was quite small.

I'd certainly check before purchasing however, I still think the saving could be substantial.

My primary concern would be the warranty though.

Dave

Comment

To me this lens is about great IQ that's what will sell it. The MTF chart is a good guide for comparing lenses. The Oly 300mm f4 has a fantastic graph. I would find it incredible if any lens with smaller dia glass could match this performance. The light gathering capability of a lens is about the size of the true aperture 300mm/4 = 75mm; a 400mm/6.2 = 64.5mm. When you square this for the area the difference is even bigger.

I have the Bigma 50-500mm f6.3 = 79.3mm so have the reach and bigger true aperture but the IQ and AF performance is poor except in really good light. The MTF chart of the bigma shows it to be a poor performer. So I would issue a word of caution for those comparing the Oly 300mm f4 with the pani zoom. It wont take long before you will want a lot more IQ and that means faster lenses.

This is just my own experience and understanding. The only other fast prime I have is the FT 50mm f2. Foe astrophotography it suffers absimal coma at f2. The nano coating on the Oly 300mm f4 is a surprise and welcome feature for astrophotography so watch for some fantastic nebular pictures from this lens.
                              John

OM-D E-M1, 12-40 f2.8 Pro, Tamron 14-150mm f5.8, E5, E3, Zuiko 50-200mm SWD, Zuiko 12-60mm SWD, Zuiko ED 70-300mm f5.6, 50mmf2, Zuiko ED 9-18mm f5.6, Sigma 50-500mm f6.3, EC14, EC20, RM-1, VA-1

Comment

Ed

Live life in the slow lane.

Comment

Working...
                                X