Rumoured E-M1 ii launch next week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rumoured E-M1 ii launch next week

Ian, thanks so so much - it's nice to see that questions here were asked by you and answers given

Much appreciated
    D500 / 35 f1.8 / 50 f1.8 /16-80 / 70-300
    e-m10 mk2 + P12-32 and PL 25 f1.4

Comment

Originally posted by Ian View Post
      This never bothered me The camera is a few mm taller and the grip is thicker to improve the handling for users with big hands.

The HLD-9 grip can't accommodate a second battery because of the profiling of the grip means their isn't enough space. Batteries can't be charged in the camera - apparently USB voltage is too low. I forgot to ask about the charger and if it has progress indication, sorry - I will try to get that tomorrow. The grip now includes the 4-way controller from the back of the camera.

The continuous shooting mode has a much better EVF experience; I tried the 18fps mode and while there is momentary black out betwen each frame, the live view appears to be maintained at other times. I think it works well. I didn't try it with the mechanical shutter at 10fps though.

Ian
      Thank you Ian - that's very helpful. Interesting that base ISO is 200 yet there is now an ISO 64 pushed setting. That means that highlights will be clipped by 1.5 stops. Will be interesting to see how well it works.
      Paul
      E-M1ii, Pen-F and too many lenses
      flickr
      Portfolio Site
      Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Olybirder View Post
        I see that they have moved the attachment point for the lever so that it rotates in the other direction now. I dont know if this is to give more room for the AEL/AFL button. I am sure we will soon get used to the change.

Ron
        I think they have made the EAL/AFL button more accessible while moving the lever to a less vulnerable position so inadvertent action is less likely. I have been a little frustrated (using my E-M1) when going to change aperture etc only to discover I had changed ISO or WB because the switch lever was in position 2, so I changed that option to Mode 4 to avoid that happening. This new arrangement should work a lot better.

Ross
        I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
        Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
        Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
        Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
        Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
        Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

Some more details I have not seen posted yet. Sorry but I cannot post the direct link yet as I need 4 more posts.

mirrorlessons.com/2016/09/22/olympus-om-d-e-m1-mark-ii-extra-information

Comment

Originally posted by hoodlum View Post
            Some more details I have not seen posted yet. Sorry but I cannot post the direct link yet as I need 4 more posts.

mirrorlessons.com/2016/09/22/olympus-om-d-e-m1-mark-ii-extra-information
            Hello. Welcome to the forum. Please introduce yourself and post some of your excellent shots. It will also quickly up your post count.

Graham

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...

Comment

Originally posted by Olybirder View Post
              I see that they have moved the attachment point for the lever so that it rotates in the other direction now. I dont know if this is to give more room for the AEL/AFL button. I am sure we will soon get used to the change.

Ron
              I'm a back-button focuser and use the AEL/AFL button for this task. On the E-M1, it's a bit of a stretch to press with my thumb. This new arrangement will put it naturally on the thumb when gripping the camera. I suspect that's what's behind the change since many people prefer back-button focus.
              Paul
              flickr
              Portfolio Site
              Instagram

Comment

Has anyone read the max number of shots (raw) in burst mode before the buffer is full? Lets say on a 95bps card?
                Kind regards mike
                http://www.wingsofnature.org

Comment

Olympus Imaging Global Marketing Manager Toshiyuki Terada declared recently for ePhotozine that :

1. E-M1 II has better DR than Canon 7D II and Fuji X-T1;

2. E-M1 II is one stop better than E-M1 MK1 at noise :
                  ISO3200 on the E-M1 is equal to ISO6400 on the E-M1 II.

3. E-M1II price: “Slightly more than the E-M1, depending on location, and global economics, for example, Brexit.“

Full interview here:
                  https://www.ephotozine.com/article/o...ize-trip-29987

------------------------------------
                  My gallery: https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Comment

Rumoured E-M1 ii launch next week

Point 1 isn't fantastic is it ? The x-t1 is old and replaced by the x-t2 so surely Olympus should be shooting at current cameras, not one released in January 2014

Or have I missed something ?

Comment

Originally posted by damianmkv View Post
                      Point 1 isn't fantastic is it ? The x-t1 is old and replaced by the x-t2 so surely Olympus should be shooting at current cameras, not one released in January 2014

One reason could be that DXO don't have a measurement of DR for many Fuji camera due to complications caused by x trans. That might be the case for the XT2.
                      Paul
                      flickr
                      Portfolio Site
                      Instagram

Comment

Ok. Can you explain "steps" ? I see things about DR which I understand and stops which I understand but now I'm reading steps too...

Am too thick for all this stuff [emoji19]

Comment

Ok. Can you explain "steps" ? I see things about DR which I understand and stops which I understand but now I'm reading steps too...

Based on the table at the bottom of the following link, the 4.2 steps refers to Dynamic Range Density and would translate to almost 14 stops. Anything over 13 stops would be find with me.

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tut...amic-range.htm
                          Last edited by Graham_of_Rainham; 23rd September 2016, 09:47 PM. Reason: Link made clickable

Comment

Steps refers to Optical Density (OD) which is a log measure of the incident light over the transmitted light going through a filter. It's usually used to designate the "power" of an ND filter. If you look at a 10-stop filter ("big stopper"), it's reducing the light by 10-stops. That means it reduces it by a factor of 1024 (2 ^ 10). So, the OD is:

OD = log (1000/1) = 3

If you've ever wondered why your 10-stop filter is an ND3 - now you know!

Stops and OD are related by:

OD = log (2 ^ f-stops)

f-stops = log(10 ^ OD) / log(2)

The tables below show how this pans out:

So, if Oly are saying they can do 4.2 steps, then that's 13.95 stops.

Sounds impressive, but remember that the output medium will dictate the real DR. In truth we are usually compressing DR when we take photographs. What matters most to real-world photographers is the ability to lift shadows and that's more about noise handling than DR per se.
                            Paul
                            flickr
                            Portfolio Site
                            Instagram

Comment

I don't think this has been raised before, but it looks to me that they've moved the USB connector and flap to the other side of the body. This should obviate the need to use a Heath Robinson extension piece when using the camera in an L-bracket and will please me if its true.
                              Alternatively I'd be happy if the iOS app allowed triggering of the native HDR series...
                              Regards,
                              Mark

------------------------------
                              http://www.microcontrast.com
                              Too much Oly gear.
                              Panasonic GM5, 12-32, 12-35, 15, 35-100, Laowa 7.5.
                              Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.

Comment

I think one can get too obsessive about datasheets. It's what it can do in real life that matters. The Fuji X-Trans sensor has advantages and disadvantages as does the E-M1 Mark II.

Ian
                                Founder and editor of:
                                Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
                                Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
                                Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
                                Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
                                Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
                                Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
                                NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X