Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EM-1 firmware update - November 2015

Press release here

Focus stacking, silent mode, advanced focus peaking, MF manual clutch disable, and lots more.

Doesn't say whether it obliterates previous settings though....
    Margaret

my Website ; my Flickr ; my Facebook

Re: EM-1 firmware update - November 2015

Wow - that's great news Bravo Olympus! Silent mode (full elec shutter??), focus stacking - I can hardly wait!!
    Paul
    E-M1ii, Pen-F and too many lenses
    flickr
    Portfolio Site
    Instagram

Comment

Wow, that is a very big update for a camera which is two years old. Well done Olympus. I am sure it will lose the current settings but it sounds as if it will be worth the trouble.

Ron

Comment

Almost like giving us a new camera. Olympus seem to be learning fast about service and loyalty. Great news.
        John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

This sounds particularly interesting ...." and customizable Super Control Panel"
          John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

Focus stacking is a great addition...interesting to note the press release states it's only compatible with 60mm Macro, 12-40 & 40-150mm PRO lenses though.

I'd like them to update the MF clutch firmware so that focus peaking is engaged when using the clutch - unless that's covered by the Advanced Focus Peaking feature (doubt it though).

Good news for you E-M1 owners.

Comment

My oh my. I count 18 features added. I am speechless, Thank-you Olympus, Thank-you.

Sadly it looks like mine has to go to the Dr...yep rear dial sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. I think that's the common issue with this body, so no worries, I am not shocked or upset.

Comment

Thanks Margaret and Beagletorque, it does indeed look interesting. And to think that I have only just upgraded from 3.0 to 3.1 and had to reset everything. Oh well, good job we're used to it.

John

Comment

Originally posted by sdb123 View Post
                  Focus stacking is a great addition...interesting to note the press release states it's only compatible with 60mm Macro, 12-40 & 40-150mm PRO lenses though.

I'd like them to update the MF clutch firmware so that focus peaking is engaged when using the clutch - unless that's covered by the Advanced Focus Peaking feature (doubt it though).

Good news for you E-M1 owners.
                  Just checked. I turned off magnify, turned on peaking in the menu, slid the ring on the 12-40mm to MF and I had focus peaking. So it won't do it automatically, you have to go through advanced menu, (gears), A

Comment

Thankfully I found an Excel spreadsheet here http://www.biofos.com/mft/omd_em1_settings.html
                    to record all my chosen camera settings! It will make it much easier to restore them after the update

Chris
                    Chris

Black OM-D E-M1 MkII, Silver PEN-F, Black Lumix GX7, and too many lenses!

Comment

The flip side is that I suppose it means an E-M1 replacement/mk2 is a very long way off. This is just a software update. Nothing wrong with the current hardware mind, but technology marches on.

Comment

Bl**dy Ek....I'm gobsmacked.

Comment

Originally posted by pvasc View Post
                          Just checked. I turned off magnify, turned on peaking in the menu, slid the ring on the 12-40mm to MF and I had focus peaking. So it won't do it automatically, you have to go through advanced menu, (gears), A
                          I know that's the case on the 12-40 but it doesn't so on the 17mm f/1.8 regardless of whether it's enabled in the menu - was widely reported in reviews and is a bit of a PITA (of course, can be mitigated by mapping buttons, etc.).

Comment

Originally posted by Zuiko View Post
                            Almost like giving us a new camera. Olympus seem to be learning fast about service and loyalty. Great news.
                            Unless you have an E-M5 Mk1 of course. We are just as loyal; where are our updates?
                            Cameras: E-M5, E-PM2, OM40, OM4Ti
                            Lenses (M.Zuiko Digital): 7-14mm/F2.8, 12-40mm/F2.8, 40-150mm/F2.8+TC1.4x, 12-50mm/F3.5-6.3, 14-42mm/F3.5-5.6 EZ, M.ZD 40-150 F4-5.6 R, 75-300mm/F4.8-6.7 Mk1, 12mm/F2, 17mm/F1.8
                            Lenses (OM Zuiko): 50mm/F1.2, 24mm/F2, 35mm/F2.8 shift
                            Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
                            Learn something new every day

Comment

Originally posted by OM USer View Post
                              Unless you have an E-M5 Mk1 of course. We are just as loyal; where are our updates?
                              I suppose the thinking is that they are updating current cameras so that the lower ranges do not have features that the range toppers don't. The E-M5 II is being updated to match the E-M10 II and the E-M1 will gain the same features as the E-M5 II plus one extra to justify its flagship status.

Unfortunately, the E-M5 MkI is no longer a current camera and will no longer be supported in the same way. I suspect the same thing will apply to the E-M1 when the Mk ii version is released.

Ron

Comment

Working...
                              X