X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• David Morison
    replied
    Re: Olympus confirms 40-150 f/2.8 and 1.4 converter

I too have bought the Tamron and after trialling it against my Leica 14-150mm. I find the performance is very much on a par for my purposes, more CA but easily corrected. Interestingly I have used it briefly for in flight shots of Rooks over the small wood opposite my house and it AFs much faster and more accurately than my 75-300mm making it even more useful than I hoped. I tend to use a Canon 7D/400mm for BIFs most of the time as it's CAF (Servo) is so reliable, but the performance of the new Tamron means it will be used more for this under suitable conditions.

David

Leave a comment:

• drmarkf
    replied

Originally posted by Miketoll View Post
    I certainly would not expect more than a slight improvement in C-AF at best but any improvement would be welcome. I expect any real improvement will not happen until EM-1 mkII.
    Yes, I agree with that. I suspect some very serious processing power's going to be needed to achieve continuous focus performance that's remotely comparable to that of mirrored cameras, but the motor design of the new lens should get the most out of the M1.

However, this is really an example of what the great Ken Rockwell calls "digital rot": digital camera bodies devalue like bricks as they get overtaken by the current rapid technological advances. In comparison a really good lens will stay a really good lens through several body generations, so it holds its value for much longer.

Leave a comment:

• Miketoll
    replied

I certainly would not expect more than a slight improvement in C-AF at best but any improvement would be welcome. I expect any real improvement will not happen until EM-1 mkII.

Leave a comment:

• birdboy
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Miketoll
    replied

I am sure it will be an absolutely superb lens and look forward to your opinion of it after you have used it. I will be particularly interested about how well it works when C-AF is in use, I am hoping the new lens focussing is so fast that C-AF will be vastly improved. That would bode well for the forthcoming 300 f4 and BIF too. Both are on my wish list!

Leave a comment:

• maccabeej
    replied

Just put in pre-order. Hope I have done the right thing.

Leave a comment:

• Beagletorque
    replied

It's true, look at the protruding forward elements.

Leave a comment:

• David Morison
    replied

I think it is a great shame if the M4/3 1.4x will only work with the new lenses. M4/3 owners with lenses such as 75mm and 60mm have been crying out for a TC for some time now and will be very disappointed. If indeed this new TC will not work with older lenses then I wonder if we are ever going to see one? Not sure if this is a bad move by OLympus of just a bad rumour, let's hope it's the latter!

David

Leave a comment:

• Ian
    replied

Originally posted by Footloose1949 View Post
    Quote ... 'built-in lens hood like the 60mm macro ... ' Well, that's interesting, mine certainly has neither a slide-out hood or separate one supplied with it! Is this statement incorrect, or have the newer ones have a hood built in?
    Sorry - I was in a rush; I meant that the hood has a built-in mechanism that allows it to slide forwards or backwards and this is similar to the (optional) lens hood of the 60mm macro.

Ian

Leave a comment:

• Turek
    replied

I'd love to have such hood for my 35-100 f/2 :-)

Leave a comment:

• Gwyver
    replied

Originally posted by Footloose1949 View Post
    Quote ... 'built-in lens hood like the 60mm macro ... ' Well, that's interesting, mine certainly has neither a slide-out hood or separate one supplied with it! Is this statement incorrect, or have the newer ones have a hood built in?
    The slide-out lens hood for the 60mm macro is an accessory which has to be bought separately.
    It seems that when you splash the cash for a Pro lens, Olympus have the good grace to bundle a suitable lens hood (and soft case) with the lens.

Leave a comment:

• Footloose1949
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Ian
    replied

By the way, there is a programmable function button three quarters of the way towards the front of the lens and I was told this should be able to be progtrammed as a focus lock button.

They also had the mock-up of the 300mm f/4 (about the size of a ZD 35-100 f/2) in a cabinet along with a mocked-up 7-14 f/2.8, which is a little larger than the Panny f/4 version but not dramatically so.

Ian

Leave a comment:

• David M
    replied

Andy, having used a wide variety of telephotos and tele-converters over the years I'd do some testing unless the new 1.4 is firmware locked stopping you testing it.

Leave a comment:

• oly_om
    replied

Thanks for the info (14 - 150). I understand what it was designed for, but I guess that answer does not preclude the use with the MMF, or does it?? The question for me, not having an FT body I'd use with the 300/2.8, is whether I can sell the EC-14 and still have the MC-14 to use with the MMF-3, 300/2.8.

Thanks for the digging!

Andy

Leave a comment:

Working...
X