Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Editing Challenge No. 4

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Re: Editing Challenge No. 4

    Originally posted by OM USer View Post
    Photoshop Elements 12 can not read this RAW file (EM5ii is too new for this version of the software) so most of the manipulation was done in OV3 and various layers (i.e. edits) exported as jpegs and then combined in Elements. Boy do you have to dig deep to find the colours.
    )
    Sorry about that, I remember it annoyed me when I bought the camera. So I hope you will be able to see and use this universal DNG (raw). tell me if it is still not readable.

    https://www.dropbox.com/s/94886lib9x...troll.dng?dl=0

    As to the lack of colour I would only say it was 7.30 in the morning in February and cold ...and dark. I thought you wanted a challenge?

    I have a similar shot a few minutes later taken on a Canon if you want to compare?

    https://www.dropbox.com/s/kruf246sze...-3820.CR2?dl=0
    Peter (Art Frames)

    You can see some of my things on Flickr

    Comment


    • #17
      Re: Editing Challenge No. 4

      [IMG][/IMG]
      Dave

      My Flickr

      Comment


      • #18
        Re: Editing Challenge No. 4

        Another Version

        [IMG][/IMG]
        Dave

        My Flickr

        Comment


        • #19
          Re: Editing Challenge No. 4

          Lots of scope for variations on the theme inspired by the original so here is another one: With Water

          Comment


          • #20
            Re: Editing Challenge No. 4

            Originally posted by Invicta View Post
            Lots of scope for variations on the theme inspired by the original so here is another one: With Water
            Now how do you do that?
            Cameras: E-M5, E-PM2, OM40, OM4Ti
            Lenses (M.Zuiko Digital): 7-14mm/F2.8, 12-40mm/F2.8, 40-150mm/F2.8+TC1.4x, 12-50mm/F3.5-6.3, 14-42mm/F3.5-5.6 EZ, M.ZD 40-150 F4-5.6 R, 75-300mm/F4.8-6.7 Mk1, 12mm/F2, 17mm/F1.8
            Lenses (OM Zuiko): 50mm/F1.2, 24mm/F2, 35mm/F2.8 shift
            Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
            Learn something new every day

            Comment


            • #21
              Re: Editing Challenge No. 4

              Inspired by Invicta to copy his idea. But I cheated a bit.

              I used an app called Reflect Studio from Brain Fever. Its free to use for 7 days so this is a free go. It is amazing what it can do with a few clicks.


              To do it in Photoshop is certainly not as easy . My approach would be to copy the top section and then post it as a new layer. Then flip this new layer vertically and move the two layers to get the join where you want it. Then its a case of manually distorting the bottom layer with brush strokes to simulate water.

              Be interested to learn how Invicta did it.


              [IMG][/IMG]
              Dave

              My Flickr

              Comment


              • #22
                Re: Editing Challenge No. 4

                Originally posted by OM USer View Post
                Now how do you do that?
                I used a plugin called "Flood 2" from Flamingpear. (Free trial period)

                http://www.flamingpear.com/

                I then used a gradient mask to blend the water line into the grass so it don't appear as a harsh straight line.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Re: Editing Challenge No. 4

                  I was really happy to see that an editing challenge had started up as one of my goals this year is to get my head around the editing side of things. This will give a bit more incentive to do so. So here is my first go:



                  A bit more understated than some of the others but it is my first go at seriously editing something. Ok, technically I've only processed the RAW file but baby steps. I am using RawTherapee as it is free and I run Linux but it does more than I could possibly hope to understand. If I find the time I might brave Gimp and start playing with layers etc. but, to tell the truth, I am more than a little terrified of that beast.

                  All comments gratefully received.

                  Will

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Re: Editing Challenge No. 4

                    I'm still wondering how an earth to tackle this one, I have one idea but not sure I have to skills to put it into practice.
                    arghh. Will see.
                    EM-1 MK1 - No website containing any of my photos until I'm good enough!

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Re: Editing Challenge No. 4

                      Originally posted by Willom View Post
                      I was really happy to see that an editing challenge had started up as one of my goals this year is to get my head around the editing side of things. This will give a bit more incentive to do so. So here is my first go:



                      A bit more understated than some of the others but it is my first go at seriously editing something. Ok, technically I've only processed the RAW file but baby steps. I am using RawTherapee as it is free and I run Linux but it does more than I could possibly hope to understand. If I find the time I might brave Gimp and start playing with layers etc. but, to tell the truth, I am more than a little terrified of that beast.

                      All comments gratefully received.

                      Will
                      Hi Will

                      Glad you have joined in and hope others do too. As you asked I will gladly give you some feedback/encouragement. Firstly, I took the shot so have reasonable memory of what was there and is there quite often in the field behind our house.. So you have a very accurate rendition of the scene, and natural colouration of a hen pheasant. But I took the picture because of the atmosphere of the play of light and the frost. It was enough of a 'magical' morning to make me go back inside and get the cameras.

                      I freely admit that the picture taken doesn't give that and it takes a lot of work to try and push the dynamics, colour and composition all at once. And that is why I offered it up.

                      As suggestions I would say think about what you want to try to achieve (in terms of the composition - subject size and placement, and frame cropping, editing of parts you don't like; the image dynamic range and how high or low key you think it should be together with the treatment of colour). If you can imagine it then you can aim towards it.

                      Others have seen it as an opportunity to be creative and turn it into a grouse. So there is still a great deal that can be imagined. I had two very wicked ideas which I have so far resisted

                      What you have achieved shows promise. Working with your own image would be easier. But that is part of the challenge too. Plus you can always blame me for taking rubbish shots.

                      I hope this helps and encourages you to join the people who enjoy a good fiddle.
                      Peter (Art Frames)

                      You can see some of my things on Flickr

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Re: Editing Challenge No. 4

                        Originally posted by art frames View Post
                        ...Others have seen it as an opportunity to be creative and turn it into a grouse. ...
                        Surely not.
                        Cameras: E-M5, E-PM2, OM40, OM4Ti
                        Lenses (M.Zuiko Digital): 7-14mm/F2.8, 12-40mm/F2.8, 40-150mm/F2.8+TC1.4x, 12-50mm/F3.5-6.3, 14-42mm/F3.5-5.6 EZ, M.ZD 40-150 F4-5.6 R, 75-300mm/F4.8-6.7 Mk1, 12mm/F2, 17mm/F1.8
                        Lenses (OM Zuiko): 50mm/F1.2, 24mm/F2, 35mm/F2.8 shift
                        Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
                        Learn something new every day

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Re: Editing Challenge No. 4

                          Originally posted by timboo View Post
                          I'm still wondering how an earth to tackle this one, I have one idea but not sure I have to skills to put it into practice.
                          arghh. Will see.
                          Give it a go! If you tell us what your idea is, how you are tackling it, and share the results, we might be able to nudge you along a bit. And we will all learn something as we go.

                          John

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Re: Editing Challenge No. 4

                            Originally posted by Bikie John View Post
                            Give it a go! If you tell us what your idea is, how you are tackling it, and share the results, we might be able to nudge you along a bit. And we will all learn something as we go.

                            John
                            I need a car
                            EM-1 MK1 - No website containing any of my photos until I'm good enough!

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Re: Editing Challenge No. 4



                              This has been a very difficult editing challenge for me. Want to keep the subject as it is, and not move it into realms of fantasy (can't anyway)

                              Best I can do it to brighten it up a bit, and add some clarity. Be good to see how others have processed it................

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Re: Editing Challenge No. 4

                                KFC sources GM alternative supplies...

                                Graham

                                We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X