Macro using the 60mm f2.8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Macro using the 60mm f2.8

If you used my pics to post these check which box is ticked you may have ticked thumbnail rather than full size?
    Ed

Live life in the slow lane.

Comment

Originally posted by benp View Post
      Sorry, they have come up tiny. I'll try to work out what happened before I post again.
      That's easy to fix. Go back & edit that post & in each image line, delete "thumbs/" & then it will show full size.
      Ross
      I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
      Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
      Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
      Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
      Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
      Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

Thanks Wee Man and Ross. Fixed now.

Comment

I love that shadow shot. brilliant.
          http://www.flickr.com/photos/flip_photo_flickr/

Comment

Well done much better and great shots.
            Ed

Live life in the slow lane.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagletorque View Post
              And a couple of Gatekeepers.

GREAT IMAGES well captured
              [I].
              I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
              Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album

Comment

• Re: Anyone got a good insect book handy?

Originally posted by Beagletorque View Post
                He seemed to have a very erect tail which was bright yellow under. Was it just the pollen or is it a mystery species?

sorry meant this one
                [I].
                I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
                Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album

Comment

Enjoyed oogling over all those fantastic macros. I need some input from you guys.

out of 50 shots of butterflies, bees and flowers, I got only 3.

Unlike my old E-330, the Em1 have a rectangle for a focus point. HOW in the wide world can you get it to pin point that focussing area you want??
                  * Henry
                  * Malaysia

All my garbage so far.

Comment

I can only comment on my technique (which is not one that most use or so I believe).

I use auto-focus (usually smallest single point but up to 9 point box depending on the size of subject and nature of environment ),

Hand-holding, half-press to lock focus then keeping the button locked rock myself and camera back and forward gently until the eye pops into focus in the EVF (I don't usually have the EVF set to show a magnified view for this)

I tend to work with the aperture wide open or one stop down (this again is different from the "recommended" technique of smallest possible aperture for greatest depth of field, which was how I started out macro shooting)

Typically I have the shutter set for a high-speed sequential shot and fire a 3 shot burst as I rock through the focus point (I find it almost impossible to get a stable, static hand-held shot as I have a bit of a tremor but using this dynamic method with high shutter speed does the trick for me)

I hope Alf will share his secrets as he can achieve the most amazing results

Comment

What about the exposure?
                      * Henry
                      * Malaysia

All my garbage so far.

Comment

depends on the situation, either manual or spot for most of the time but if the situation requires (such as when I want to try to balance the subject and its environment) I may use centre-weighted.

There are other situations when I use my "ring-flash", usually if shooting contra-jour or into dark shade

(Most of the time I'm trying to catch a specific example of behaviour or detail in the subject so I'm most interested in exposing for the subject and will let the background go out on either the over or under exposed sides)

Comment

Originally posted by blu-by-u View Post
                          Enjoyed oogling over all those fantastic macros. I need some input from you guys.

out of 50 shots of butterflies, bees and flowers, I got only 3.

Unlike my old E-330, the Em1 have a rectangle for a focus point. HOW in the wide world can you get it to pin point that focussing area you want??
                          Easy! ! ! ! Select your AF selection (that can be done from the SCP if you don't have the 4 way keys set for 'direct function' or other method) & then [Info] button followed by the up/down arrow buttons (on the 4 way pad) until you come to the small square AF point(s). You can then select which focus point you want. If you haven't done so, I recommended setting the 4 way buttons to direct function so that one press of the left arrow puts you into AF selection & then all four keys or front & rear wheels then can be used for placement of that point. The info key allows for small or regular & grouping (single, nine or all). Using that set up avoids accidental shifting of the AF point.
                          Ross
                          I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
                          Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
                          Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
                          Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
                          Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
                          Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

Thanks Ross. I have not assign those directional buttons yet. AND dumb old me forgot that I could set the AF rectangular to a smaller size. Let me try that again this weekend.
                            * Henry
                            * Malaysia

All my garbage so far.

Comment

Working...
                            X