• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• alfbranch
    replied
    Re: Starkly dead tree

Originally posted by xperia View Post
    This looks like motion blur- discard IMO but that's me.
    Motion blur at 1/800th sec and 40mm look carefully the focus apears sharp on the trees behind and it was shot at f2.8 so Imo the main subject is out of focus.

Leave a comment:

• xperia
    replied

Lens sharpness, colour, contrast (even micro-contrast) to a degree can be fixed from almost the DEAD now in PP. But motion blur is one of those impossibilities.

Thank god for clean Hi-ISO shots off of M4/3

Leave a comment:

• xperia
    replied

This looks like motion blur- discard IMO but that's me.

Leave a comment:

• chorleyjeff
    replied

Originally posted by alfbranch View Post
    Jeff
    I said it was clumsy edit so accept that it is not the best that could be produced but it was not a great start point so I did not give it my best efforts.
    As a long time printer I am sure you work out to sort this I will leave you to it.
    OK. Hardly worth the effort then.
    Jeff

Leave a comment:

• MJ224
    replied

I think Alfbranch has made the photo work well...............

Just MHO

Leave a comment:

• alfbranch
    replied

Originally posted by chorleyjeff View Post
    Thanks for post.
    I accepted at the beginning that there is a sharpness problem. I intended to focus on the tree but evidently I did not. Another reason to go back.
    Have to say I am not keen on the mono. The black hole in the middle background is too stark for my taste and somehow the dead trees to the sides seem more pronounced than in my version and take my attention from the centre tree. It's all a matter of taste I think.
    I spent years in my darkroom printing monochrome and I now so much enjoy the freedom in Lightroom to easily edit colour that I seldom revert to monochrome unless I can see a good reason to do so.
    Jeff
    Jeff
    I said it was clumsy edit so accept that it is not the best that could be produced but it was not a great start point so I did not give it my best efforts.
    As a long time printer I am sure you work out to sort this I will leave you to it.

Leave a comment:

• chorleyjeff
    replied

Originally posted by alfbranch View Post
    This needs different lighting where the tree is strongly lit and shadows and background are darkened then expose for the tree
    This also seems a bit soft on the dead tree where did you focus?

Here is a clumsy mono edit

Not my shot 2017-21 by Alf Branch, on Flickr
    Thanks for post.
    I accepted at the beginning that there is a sharpness problem. I intended to focus on the tree but evidently I did not. Another reason to go back.
    Have to say I am not keen on the mono. The black hole in the middle background is too stark for my taste and somehow the dead trees to the sides seem more pronounced than in my version and take my attention from the centre tree. It's all a matter of taste I think.
    I spent years in my darkroom printing monochrome and I now so much enjoy the freedom in Lightroom to easily edit colour that I seldom revert to monochrome unless I can see a good reason to do so.
    Jeff

Leave a comment:

• alfbranch
    replied

This needs different lighting where the tree is strongly lit and shadows and background are darkened then expose for the tree
    This also seems a bit soft on the dead tree where did you focus?

Here is a clumsy mono edit

Not my shot 2017-21 by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Leave a comment:

• chorleyjeff
    replied

Originally posted by Zuiko View Post
    It certainly is an interesting tree. The background might be a little too close, but it strikes me as a candidate for painting with light at night.
    Thanks for an idea that had not occurred to me.
    Will have to learn how to keep the shutter open for a few minutes while I scramble from camera to tree and back again.
    Jeff

Leave a comment:

• chorleyjeff
    replied

Originally posted by OM USer View Post
    I like the background although I may look at darkening it a bit. Perhaps a touch of fill in flash to allow a shorter exposure would do the trick.
    I take your point but it would need a mighty powerful flash to illuminate the dead tree and there could be spill over onto the background.
    Jeff

Leave a comment:

• OM USer
    replied

I like the background although I may look at darkening it a bit. Perhaps a touch of fill in flash to allow a shorter exposure would do the trick.

Leave a comment:

• Zuiko
    replied

It certainly is an interesting tree. The background might be a little too close, but it strikes me as a candidate for painting with light at night.

Leave a comment:

• chorleyjeff
    replied

Originally posted by MJ224 View Post
    Not claiming to be an expert but........

Background is a little complicated IMHO.

A different viewpoint might work better, if its available...........
    Aha. The background was "difficult", and I share your opinion.
    I was halfway up a grassy sand dune and getting a better angle was not an option, at least with the lens I had.
    I think I need to try again.
    Jeff

Leave a comment:

• chorleyjeff
    replied

Originally posted by MJ224 View Post
    Not claiming to be an expert but........

Background is a little complicated IMHO.

A different viewpoint might work better, if its available...........
    Aha. The background was "difficult", and I share your opinion.
    I was halfway up a grassy sand dune and getting a better angle was not an option, at least with the lens I had.
    I think I need to try again.
    Jeff

Leave a comment:

• chorleyjeff
    replied

Originally posted by Wally View Post
    From where you were standing, what was the field of view from the other side of the tree?
    Sand dune with grass, scrubby trees - some alive, sand dunes and sky. Not a cohesive composition potential.
    Jeff

Leave a comment:

Working...
X