X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pandora
    replied
    Re: Coots in a fight.

Aussie Coots are more civilised and peaceful Cathrine!

These were shot with an E-520 and the 70-300, processed as psd and saved as jpgs.

Leave a comment:

• Cathrine Stephansen
    replied

Originally posted by Floribunda View Post
    And how do you pronounce that location?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Hi Cathrine
    The shots of the coots are lovely. I so agree with you that in an outdoor shot like this the creatures need some space around them. Especially water with ducks.

And how do you pronounce that location?

Leave a comment:

• Cathrine Stephansen
    replied

That's some strong light in the first photo! Very nicely exposed. I see what you mean with the second shot, but then again, he might have dived in stead of turning his head into the sun There is at least a small catchlight in its eye.

Leave a comment:

• Tordan58
    replied

Hi

Partly off topic, but somewhat related: Two pictures of non-fighting coots taken with 50-200 SWD, a few hours in between (late afternoon, sunny and windy and early evening with sun going behind trees and calm conditions).

Underexposed -1/3 EV to avoid eroding the white beak and also preserve the structure in the feathers. Wide open F4.0. exposure time 1/1500 and 1/500s.

The first picture has some undesired shadows across the back (from weed), apart from that I am quite happy with it. In the second picture I should have waited until the coot turned its head somewhat left; the structure in the neck feathers is almost gone and the eye is not glowing from reflecting the sun.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Cathrine Stephansen
    replied

Originally posted by Tordan58 View Post
    Hi

I believe you did a very good job in freezing the action and also balancing between dark plumage and light bills. How did you expose? Under-exposure?Low key, high key?

Regarding the hint about useing polarizing filter; what ISO did you use? (I am concerned about exposure time).

I believe image 4 should be recropped in order to remove some of the less interesting foreground water (out of focus). You could also try recropping images 1, 2 and 3 to achieve similar effect (just slighlty).

/Tord

Leave a comment:

• Tordan58
    replied

Hi

I believe you did a very good job in freezing the action and also balancing between dark plumage and light bills. How did you expose? Under-exposure?Low key, high key?

Regarding the hint about useing polarizing filter; what ISO did you use? (I am concerned about exposure time).

I believe image 4 should be recropped in order to remove some of the less interesting foreground water (out of focus). You could also try recropping images 1, 2 and 3 to achieve similar effect (just slighlty).

/Tord

Leave a comment:

• Cathrine Stephansen
    replied

I didnt even think of that, I completely forgot about the filters! i checked the exposure while they were sizing each other up, glad I did. A little later in the evening the camera kept over-exposing, but here it wasn't too bad. Tufted duck males in full evening light was a challenge though, had to underexpose a lot.

Leave a comment:

• David Morison
    replied

Cathrine,

Coots are particularly difficult to expose for with the extreme contrast between bill and plumage and I think you've done very well here. Did you use the polarising filter? I use it with the 300mm when photographing in this sort of situation as it helps to darken the water and help get a better exposed and balanced image.

Regards

David

Leave a comment:

• Cathrine Stephansen
    started a topic Coots in a fight.

Coots in a fight.

Working...
X