Falkirk wheel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Falkirk wheel

Thought I'd invite suggestions on this mono conversion of a shot taken of the Falkirk Wheel, an innovative modern alternative to a set of canal locks.

Taken with E-P2 and Oly 17mm pancake.

Stephen

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site

Re: Falkirk wheel

Great use of concrete. Nice shot B&W works well.
    Ed

Live life in the slow lane.

Comment

Like it a lot, & I think the mono works really well

BTW: Is this the contraption that lifts canal boats from one part of the canal to another in a giant bath tub?
      Regards James.

Comment

It works for me as well.
        Steve
        My Flickr: https://flic.kr/ps/HRVVS

"If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something" - Steven Wright

Comment

Yes, that's the thing. Supposed to only use the power equivalent of making 12 cups of tea or something. Awesome to watch!

Originally posted by E-3 View Post

BTW: Is this the contraption that lifts canal boats from one part of the canal to another in a giant bath tub?
          Stephen

My Flickr site

Comment

Originally posted by StephenL View Post
            Supposed to only use the power equivalent of making 12 cups of tea!
            They must have HUGE cups
            Regards James.

Comment

Yes, that's the thing. Supposed to only use the power equivalent of making 12 cups of tea or something. Awesome to watch!
              I am about to ask something really stupid:

This thing has two such bathtubs, I assume there is only a boat in one of them. I guess it balances so the amount of energy needed is minimal (12 cups of tea seems reasonable, sometimes I drink more than that in a day)

So here is the stupid question. Does the bathtub of water weigh as much as the bathtub of water with a boat floating in it?

Pete

Oh, erm. Great, striking picture BTW
              Look, I'm an old man. I shouldn't be expected to put up with this.

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by snaarman View Post

This thing has two such bathtubs, I assume there is only a boat in one of them. I guess it balances so the amount of energy needed is minimal (12 cups of tea seems reasonable, sometimes I drink more than that in a day)

So here is the stupid question. Does the bathtub of water weigh as much as the bathtub of water with a boat floating in it?

Pete

The weight of water displaced = the weight of the boat - otherwise it would not float.

Eureka

I'll fetch my towel

Nick
                Nick Temple-Fry

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
                www.temple-fry.co.uk

Comment

Well, from my non-existent knowledge of physics and maths and anything else, the answer must be yes. The boat displaces its own weight in water (I think) when you place a boat in a bathtub, the same weight of water is pushed out (to keep levels equal) as the boat weighs.....

Originally posted by snaarman View Post

Pete

Stephen

My Flickr site

Comment

Well, from my non-existent knowledge of physics and maths and anything else, the answer must be yes. The boat displaces its own weight in water (I think) when you place a boat in a bathtub, the same weight of water is pushed out (to keep levels equal) as the boat weighs.....

Doh. I thought I had just invented another perpetual motion machine. Never mind, maybe tomorrow.

About the mono conversion: Its come out very nice with a great range of tones from white to black.

In fact it looks like one of the example excellent B+W pictures they printed on the outside of your Ilford 12x16 RC paper pack all those years ago :-)

Pete
                    Look, I'm an old man. I shouldn't be expected to put up with this.

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.

Comment

Thanks for all the comments so far

Regarding the b&w conversion, I started with a Lightroom 3 preset (B&W creative high contrast) and just tweaked it a bit by fiddling till I thought it looked right. Don't ask what I did (although I suppose I could look in the History if I really wanted..) No Photoshop was harmed during the making of this picture.
                      Stephen

My Flickr site

Comment

For those who are interested, here's the original, colour, version:

Stephen

My Flickr site

Comment

Thanks Stephen for posting the original. Striking as it is with that blue sky, I think the mono conversion works better.

The colour original is educational though - I didn't know you ever saw blue bits of sky in Scotland

Ciao ... John

Comment

I didn't know you ever saw blue bits of sky in Scotland
                            We do, its just you need a really fast shutter speed to catch them.

Duncan
                            Duncan

Lots of toys.

Comment

Usually seen either before or after rain, occasionally during.
                              Stephen

My Flickr site

Comment

Working...
                              X