Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Snaar snaps: Village life

Originally posted by Nick Temple-Fry View Post
    Lovely shots as always - this really deserves the blog facility which Ian hasn't yet given us.

I hope Pete continues and gives us a view to the village as seasons change.

The church shots are nice - they work as treated and should come up well with hdr. But it also illustrates a point I've made before (and still struggle with on every shoot) and that is management of edges. Churches make lovely natural frames and then they go and stick half a lectern there, it really is a 'pain'.

Nick
    Thanks Nick, and everyone else for kind comments so far. I do indeed hope to keep them coming through the seasons, though I will have to be inventive: It is a very small village - and I am supposed to be working!

The church is nice and light inside, but where you might expect a wood screen on a wide arch dividing the choir from the nave, you get this narrow arch. Moving past the arch resticts the view somewhat. Stepping back introduces the lectern. Perhaps I should hire a 7-14 from Ian and go back there

As to the next instalment? Watch this space, as they say.

Pete
    Look, I'm an old man. I shouldn't be expected to put up with this.

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.

Comment

Autumn:

It is at this time of year that humble village dwellers all across the land do battle with the perennial autumn leaf problem

Pete
      Last edited by snaarman; 18th October 2009, 06:56 AM.

Comment

How dare a leaf land on a Porche!
        - my pictures -

Comment

The recreation field: Two football pitches and a cricket pitch.

This posesses an old (post war?) corrugated shed, probably used by the Groundsmen, assuming they can still force their way in through the ivy!

Pete

Comment

Autumn starts to bite: Maybe it was the cold nights, but the trees have decided to drop their leaves today.

Here is one of the village footpaths: For a hundred meters it is diverted around someone's rather nice house, but the advantage is that you go past this lovely vernacular wood clad barn.

and

Pete
            Last edited by snaarman; 19th October 2009, 06:24 PM.

Comment

A great Autumn shot.

Comment

Out and about with my trusty old Tamron 135 this lunchtime.

Here is a sneaky view of the village green and the ornate well cover.

This is a nice front drive eh :-)

and the old yew in the churchyard.

That old tammie may not be as sharp as your latest Zuiko, but its not that bad really..
                Pete

Comment

Hi Pete,

You're certainly going through a purple patch for creativity and I can see you're really enjoying your photography. But do you ever get time to eat lunch?
                  John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

Can`t wait to tune in for the next episode!

Comment

The seasons continue to turn. Oh dear, dark nights from now on - very dark in rural villages.

Some things don't alter: The daily rhythm of returning the horses to the stables for the night.

Here's another long shot from lunchtime - the short cut to the nearby farm :-)

Pete

Comment

Wow, both of these are stonking good pictures, top drawer stuff. Got any vacancies at your firm?
                        John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

Originally posted by Zuiko View Post
                          Got any vacancies at your firm?
                          Well ... if you can design bespoke digital camera circuitry and do the multilayer double sided SMD layouts to go with it, program in 8051 assembler and VHDL for CPLD and FPGA, and have some knowledge of geometric optics .. then we could be interested :-)

Ability with a DSLR optional

Meanwhile, back in the sticks, here is a little rural fantasy I created today (don't ask about the bitey horse).

Pete

Comment

Nice Pete. But I have to ask... about the bitey horse?
                            John

Comment

Originally posted by theMusicMan View Post
                              Nice Pete. But I have to ask... about the bitey horse?
                              He he.. I had to traverse a paddock with a horse in it. Thats cool, I am OK with horses at least at a distance. In this case the horse looks a little guilty to my eyes.. So I get to the end of the field and there is one of those wooden kissing gates. But wait, who has been biting chucks out of the top of it then??? Hmm?

I made my excuses and left.

Comment

Cracking series Pete.

What galls me about most of these shots is the amount of time the sun seems to be shining down there. Grrrrrr
                                John

m4/3: E-P2, EM-5, 100-300, 14-42mm 12-50mm, 45mm, panny 14mm. 4/3: 7-14 + Flashes & tripods & stuff

"Take nothing but pictures and leave nothing but footprints".

Flickr gallery

Comment

Working...
                                X