Artificial intelligence bird and animal focus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Artificial intelligence bird and animal focus

You may have seen that the Panasonic G9 was recently updated to add animal detection (including birds) alongside human face detection. It was a major firmware update and to be honest I wasn't sure how good it would be.

But as there has been a recent comparison between the EM1 mk2 and the G9 I thought you might like to hear my brief experience.

I recently bought a Black Friday 300mm F4 and my experience on the G9 before I updated firmware was excellent and apart from the recent weather I have enjoyed trying it out on things in the garden and near home.

This shot of a Goldcrest was prior to updating the firmware and shows the potential of the lens once I can get some light (as this is iso 1600). I shot about 50 shots and when I could get the goldcrest to be in the frame I stood a chance but it was challenging to find and track the bird. Fun but frustrating.

That was before the new firmware....so....I wondered what the firmware would do......I hate updating firmware but gave it a go and I am amazed at the new mode (new camera really). Basically it spots birds anywhere in the frame and puts a focus box around them and tracks them (I'm told it is as good with all animals but haven't tried that yet). I have had just a couple of brief try-outs on birds and am not claiming to be any good yet...but it just works. It encourages me to take shots I just wouldn't try normally on a mirrorless camera.

I haven't fiddled with these just posted a couple of shots from the camera jpg. I just wanted to show even when the bird is in a jungle of branches, small in the picture and moving, it finds it and quite often is bang on focus.

I took a series of shots of a buzzard spiralling around sometimes going behind a tree and sometimes not. The focus box and peaking held and most shots were good and it was tiny in the frame.

I have been waiting for the Goldcrests to return but so far we haven't had a rematch. I would imagine it will be a revelation. They also let me get closer which shows the lens and focus off more.

I am hoping I get to go out on a bright day and see something worthwhile... and I may post that if I do. But rather than wait I thought you might enjoy seeing what Panasonic has done and what my two day experience has been. I'm assuming I'll get better.

I presume Olympus could do something very similar as the cameras are really so close in capability. Hope so.
    Last edited by art frames; 3 days ago.
    Peter (Art Frames)

You can see some of my things on Flickr

From a hide yesterday I was able to use both the AI recognition of birds and mammals. I continue to be pleased by what it can offer. Changing from animal detect to any of the other focus modes is quick and easy (no menu diving). I am getting much better at using them for different situations.
    Attached Files
    Peter (Art Frames)

You can see some of my things on Flickr

Comment

Cracking shots!
      sigpicDave

Comment

• art frames
        art frames commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you Dave

It does seem to be working very well for you Peter. The fox is especially impressive. Have you tried comparing normal focusing and the animal/bird AI recognition to see how much difference there is?

Ron

Comment

• art frames
        art frames commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi Ron, yes for example on the communal bird thread I added a fieldfare. I took many shots and used AI, zone, small spot and manual focus. Each gave different results. It had a small twig which grabbed focus on zone and spot, not always but enough to make me curse. AI sees the bird and as long as the box goes green you have focus. But eye focus is not always spot on. Manual focus was good but so hard to maintain. Not sure I have an answer. But it was an ideal test.
        With the fox it was a no brainier. It just got it and you waited for an ideal image. But as it was just sniffing around above a kingfisher nest for a few seconds I grabbed what I could. Would love phase detection as part of it as it is not suitable for moving shots. But then I have the Canon for that. :-)

• art frames
        art frames commented
        Editing a comment
        Ron,
        The other benefit is really useful. Once it finds the bird and draws the box it tracks the bird. Now with the 420mm or 600mm lens (including converter) I do wobble...but the focus box moves around the frame. So I can place the bird in a less usual framing. Very useful for getting the tail feathers in the shot...:-) on a pheasant.....I usually fail using centre point focusing as I miss the cropping to the edge

WOW.....just WOW.

Comment

• art frames
        art frames commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you Dave.

Very interesting Peter. Hopefully this is something that Oly can also Implement with their firmware.
      Especially good with the fox and foreground mess which it did not focus on.

Although the first shot with PI was not too shabby either!
      Stuff from Cuba
      More stuff from Cuba
      It all started here

Comment

• art frames
        art frames commented
        Editing a comment
        I imagine they are all playing around with the same machine learning. You do need to be happy to be helped. It will be seen as a gimmick to many. But for me I'm happy to have some help nowadays
    Working...
    X