• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PeterBirder
    replied
    Re: Dunnock in the Snow

Originally posted by OM USer View Post
    Sorry for asking the obvious but how do you tell them apart?
    These two links will show you the difference.

https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wi...house-sparrow/

https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wi...d-a-z/dunnock/

Leave a comment:

• Olybirder
    replied

Originally posted by art frames View Post
    We had an influx of birds to the garden this morning. So from about seven I have been shooting from my open bedroom window I have three cameras setup and have taken some lovely shots of a flock of mostly fieldfares with one redwing and some thrushes often 4-5 yards away in the Ivy covered tree. Totally enjoyable morning.
    You have got some beautiful shots on your Flickr pages Peter. All I have had in the garden is two Dunnocks, one Robin and one Blue Tit, which disappeared as soon as I opened the kitchen door.

Ron

Leave a comment:

• Olybirder
    replied

Another distinctive feature of Dunnocks are their beautiful amber eyes and orange legs. They spend a lot of the time foraging for food on the ground and if there is a pair of them they keep flicking their wings to communicate with each other. As Mark has suggested in relation to their interesting social life, it is probably best not to know what they are saying.

Ron

Leave a comment:

• MJ224
    replied

Dunnocks have a grey mantle around their neck. They are jittery, ie shake or tremble a lot. They also move in a very shaky manner. Also have an interesting or different sex life. Which I wont go into here. read about it...

Leave a comment:

• art frames
    replied

Lovely shots Ron. Snow is a great help in getting some action. Great to get the snow on them showing as well.

We had an influx of birds to the garden this morning. So from about seven I have been shooting from my open bedroom window I have three cameras setup and have taken some lovely shots of a flock of mostly fieldfares with one redwing and some thrushes often 4-5 yards away in the Ivy covered tree. Totally enjoyable morning.

Leave a comment:

• OM USer
    replied

Originally posted by PeterBirder View Post
    The Dunnock (Prunella modularis) is one of a small family (5) of birds called Accentors. They are commonly called "Hedge Sparrows" because they look a bit like sparrows....
    Sorry for asking the obvious but how do you tell them apart?

Leave a comment:

• Zuiko
    replied

This weather must be a harsh blow to our birds at a time when they are thinking about nesting. Our feeders are as popular as ever this morning!

Leave a comment:

• PeterBirder
    replied

Originally posted by iso View Post
    Oly - I always get 'twitchy' when Dunnocks turn up (excuse the Pun). But please remind me - Dunnocks are not Sparrows, so which is/are finch
    Nice Pics too
    The Dunnock (Prunella modularis) is one of a small family (5) of birds called Accentors. They are commonly called "Hedge Sparrows" because they look a bit like sparrows.

Sparrows such as the House Sparrow (Passer domesticus) are part of a family of birds called Paseridae or Passerines.

Finches are yet another family called Fringillidae.

The three families are unrelated to each other.

Leave a comment:

• Walti
    replied

Dunnocks are also known as hedge sparrows - but I don't believe they're related!

Leave a comment:

• iso
    replied

Oly - I always get 'twitchy' when Dunnocks turn up (excuse the Pun). But please remind me - Dunnocks are not Sparrows, so which is/are finch
    Nice Pics too

Leave a comment:

• Walti
    replied

OOOOOOooooooo.....

Snap!

Leave a comment:

• Olybirder
    started a topic Dunnock in the Snow

Dunnock in the Snow

The Dunnocks in my garden were busy searching for food in the snow today.

E-M1 Mk2 and 300mm f4.

Ron
Working...
X