Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Communal Night-Sky Photography Thread

Originally posted by MikeOxon View Post
    Our posts crossed. I tried a plate solver on my first 'non-descript' photo but it failed. I shall have another go and see if I can do better as it was my intention to do what you suggested.

The dot sight is a great help but, of course, I am dependent on it's correct alignment, which I do on a bright star. I have to master things with my 75mm lens before I can hope to achieve much at longer focal lengths!
    If your plate solver failed it can be down to not knowing what your equipement pixel resolution is. Upload your image to
    http://nova.astrometry.net/upload and see if that solves it.
    This does not handle Olympus Raw files so I did all my plate solving using the LF jpg setting. Using Olympus Capture it is simple to change between LF and RAW.

I tried the dot site as well looks like you are doing the same sort of things I did. You will come through it so much better informed. Keep it up I think this is such a fascinating photographic subject.
    John

OM-D E-M1, 12-40 f2.8 Pro, Tamron 14-150mm f5.8, E5, E3, Zuiko 50-200mm SWD, Zuiko 12-60mm SWD, Zuiko ED 70-300mm f5.6, 50mmf2, Zuiko ED 9-18mm f5.6, Sigma 50-500mm f6.3, EC14, EC20, RM-1, VA-1

Comment

I think its a good shot and you already know how to make it better. Looking forward to the next one.
      Cameras: E-M5, E-PM2, OM40, OM4Ti
      Lenses (M.Zuiko Digital): 7-14mm/F2.8, 12-40mm/F2.8, 40-150mm/F2.8+TC1.4x, 12-50mm/F3.5-6.3, 14-42mm/F3.5-5.6 EZ, M.ZD 40-150 F4-5.6 R, 75-300mm/F4.8-6.7 Mk1, 12mm/F2, 17mm/F1.8
      Lenses (OM Zuiko): 50mm/F1.2, 24mm/F2, 35mm/F2.8 shift
      Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
      Learn something new every day

Comment

Originally posted by birdboy View Post
        If your plate solver failed it can be down to not knowing what your equipement pixel resolution is......
        Mike
        visit my Natural History Photos website:
        http://www.botanicdesign.co.uk/Natur...story/home.htm

Comment

[/URL]
          John

OM-D E-M1, 12-40 f2.8 Pro, Tamron 14-150mm f5.8, E5, E3, Zuiko 50-200mm SWD, Zuiko 12-60mm SWD, Zuiko ED 70-300mm f5.6, 50mmf2, Zuiko ED 9-18mm f5.6, Sigma 50-500mm f6.3, EC14, EC20, RM-1, VA-1

Comment

I agree the pixel pitch for the EM1Mk2 is 3.2 μM. see here:

https://www.digicamdb.com/specs/olym...-e-m1-mark-ii/

Your stars look a lot better in your first image so you are polar aligned pretty good

I loaded the details of your 75mm Oly into Stellarium and this is the FOV you should be seeing when looking at Andromeda.

Dave

My Flickr

Comment

Thanks Wornish. I think we're on similar wavelength. I got the E-M1-ii sensor info from the same website and I have also set up Stellarium with my various lens parameters.
              A band of cloud came across this evening so I wasn't able to have another go.
              Mike

Comment

Hand Held single shot.
                EM1mk2. 300mm + TC14. ISO500. 1/50th sec

Dave

My Flickr

Comment

Something a bit bigger.

I had to throw away a lot of images because I forgot to refocus after the scope did its Meridian flip - lesson learnt. This is in total about only 30 minutes of data.
                  Dave

My Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by wornish View Post
                    Something a bit bigger. I had to throw away a lot of images because I forgot to refocus after the scope did its Meridian flip - lesson learnt. This is in total about only 30 minutes of data.

A very beautiful image. Any chance of some processing info.?
                    Mike

Comment

A very beautiful image. Any chance of some processing info.?
                      I didn't use my Oly camera for this one but an astrophotography dedicated mono camera and narrowband filters. So what I did wont really help.

A good starting point is to get familiar with Deep Sky Stacker it's free and makes a huge difference to the image quality you can achieve.

After that, If you want to stay on the free stuff then GIMP is a good choice for the basics.

Many people do use PS and there are lots of tutorials on the Web to help you get up to speed developing Astro shots.

I know John (birdboy on here) does use his Oly camera for all his astro shots and he achieves superb results using a software app called Startools. I think you can try it for free as long as you want but it wont let you save the final image. (you can however do a simple screen capture to save a version).
                      Dave

My Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by wornish View Post
                        I didn't use my Oly camera for this one but an astrophotography dedicated mono camera and narrowband filters. So what I did wont really help............

Nevertheless, its good to see what a more sophisticated approach can achieve. I'll continue along my learning curve and intend to try stacking next. I do have PSE and use it a lot.
                        Mike

Comment

It is always interesting to see what others are achieving with different equipment. There have been a few good clear nights recently as evidenced by the images.

Here is my Andromedia Galaxy with an integration time of 72mins taken on the EM1MKII and 300mm f4 +MC14 at 60secs ISO400 f5.6 no filters guiding or calibration files. Stacked in DSS and processed in Startools. The mount was a iOptron CEM25EC.
                          John

Comment

I seem to have a problem with my EM1MKII sensor.

Over the last few nights I started taking images of the North America Nebula (NGC 7000) and then switched to the Heart Nebula (IC1805) using the EM1MKII and 300mm at f4 at 60secs ISO400. I noticed a vertical colour band 2/3 along most noticeable when colour processing in StartTools. The colour band appears on both NGC 7000 and IC1805.

So I used my EM5 MKII on the same subject processed it the same way and its not there. I think it may need a sensor clean cannot see anything on it myself. I was not able to take as many images this night as I did last night but it is clearly not there with the EM5MKII.

This is the EM1MKII and has 1 hr 48mins integration time. I have rotated the image so the band is horizontal 2/3 up from bottom.

This is the EM5MKII with only 45mins integration time.
                            John

Comment

John
                              Your Andromeda is super. So are the nebula shots.

I can see the horizontal banding on the EM1mk2 shot.
                              I don't think cleaning the sensor will fix it. (I could be totally wrong of course).
                              It could be an issue with the sensor itself. Have you tried taking a long exposure of a plain background and stretch the image using curves to see if that will show it up?

If the banding wasn't in a straight line then it could be simply caused because the colour changes are so small that the software is making areas into blocks of the same colour but don't think that's what your image is showing.

I know that some Cannon cameras suffer from vertical and horizontal banding issues there is even a Photoshop Action you can get that removes them.
                              https://www.prodigitalsoftware.com/A...lsActions.html
                              Last edited by wornish; 3rd December 2019, 07:22 AM. Reason: correction
                              Dave

My Flickr

Comment

Thanks Dave I have had a much closer look at the sensor and yes there is a fiber about a few mm long in about the same place. There are also other dust specs on the sensor so I will invest in a sensor cleaning kit.

I think the problem has started because I have extensively used the EM1 MKII with the iOptron RC6. Being only mirrors it leaves the camera sensor open to the elements! I think I will investigate using a non reducing field flatterer at least that way there will will glass protecting the sensor from the elements.
                                John

Comment

Working...
                                X