Communal Night-Sky Photography Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Communal Night-Sky Photography Thread

Wow not sure how i missed this when you posted it Dave but its stunning.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/flip_photo_flickr/

Comment

Triangulum Galaxy. ( no Olympus equipment used)

Dave

My Flickr

Comment

Moon tonight 181020
        by Mark Johnson, on Flickr

Single photo taken on tripod with no IS...

Comment

Nice shot Mark

Snap... I guess we had the same idea
          Moon 20.10.2018 by Huw Prosser, on Flickr
          Regards Huw

Olympus equipment
          Capture One Pro
          My flickr

Comment

Definitely a nice photo Huw, was a good clear moon last night...

Did you stack a few? I took a single photo, which turned out better than a set that I stacked. Must be the focus I guess...

Comment

Originally posted by MJ224 View Post
              Definitely a nice photo Huw, was a good clear moon last night...

Did you stack a few? I took a single photo, which turned out better than a set that I stacked. Must be the focus I guess...
              Yes, about 40 images. Although very clear last night the Moon was relatively low in the sky so atmospheric disturbances were not ideal.
              Regards Huw

Olympus equipment
              Capture One Pro
              My flickr

Comment

Nice work guys. I was the wrong side of a bottle of red when I saw the moon and realised it was a clear night so didn't venture out.

Comment

Originally posted by Phill D View Post
                  Nice work guys. I was the wrong side of a bottle of red when I saw the moon and realised it was a clear night so didn't venture out.
                  Its forecast to be clear again tonight in our area and I am pretty sure the Moon will come around again so no excuses, go for it
                  Dave

My Flickr

Comment

Can you be the wrong side of a bottle of red
                    Regards Huw

Olympus equipment
                    Capture One Pro
                    My flickr

Comment

I didn't think so at the time Huw but now not quite so sure

It looks lovely out today so far so if it stays clear then yes I'll definitely have a go tonight Dave.

OK here's a dumb stacking question. I presume you are not using the focus stacking in camera but are shooting off several images and then using a separate stacking programme? If it's the latter do you just shoot at the highest fps and then stack the images? If it's the former what settings do you use?

Comment

Originally posted by Greytop View Post
                        Can you be the wrong side of a bottle of red

Comment

It looks lovely out today so far so if it stays clear then yes I'll definitely have a go tonight Dave.

OK here's a dumb stacking question. I presume you are not using the focus stacking in camera but are shooting off several images and then using a separate stacking programme? If it's the latter do you just shoot at the highest fps and then stack the images? If it's the former what settings do you use?

Comment

Another tip is to use manual mode. Try and set your exposure times to as fast as possible at least 1/250th sec or even faster if possible., by upping the ISO to 400 or so. You can set your aperture to as wide as your lens will allow as there is effectively no depth of field to worry about. I use manual focus and use the Zoom frame function to adjust the magnification to 14X i.e max possible to help focussing . The Moon moves very fast so a short burst of shots is best, then re centre and repeat.
                            Dave

My Flickr

Comment

I have to say that this is one thread that I thoroughly enjoy returning to again and again and again. Not able to get out and about or see very much when I do.

Superb images with lots of info to boot. A real work of perseverance, dedication and skill. I take my hat off to all involved.

Looking forward to more of the same. Thanks for sharing.
                              It's not what inspires us that is important, it's where the journey takes us.

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

Comment

Hi Phill, yes just single burst of 40 frames, electronic shutter at 60FPS. The frames were aligned and sacked in Registax.
                                Regards Huw

Olympus equipment
                                Capture One Pro
                                My flickr

Comment

Working...
                                X