Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Astro Photos

Originally posted by wornish View Post
    Interesting stuff. If what it claims is true then it certainly re writes early history. Wonder how stone henge kind of copied it ?
    That same thought had also crossed my mind as they are not exactly neighbours.

Then again, a similar 'coincidence' exists between the pyramids in Egypt and similar installations in South America? It does tend to make one wonder?
    It's not what inspires us that is important, it's where the journey takes us.

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

Comment

Originally posted by Wally View Post
      That same thought had also crossed my mind as they are not exactly neighbours.

Then again, a similar 'coincidence' exists between the pyramids in Egypt and similar installations in South America? It does tend to make one wonder?
      Maybe " 2001 A Space Odyssey" was real.
      Dave

My Flickr

Comment

Got half an hour in before the clouds rolled in.
        This is M51. 6 x 1 min ISO 1600 f2.8 150mm
        This is the astro art demo version. I processed for the Galaxy and did not mask the stars so they are a little messy.
        Tidied up in CS2 and CO9
        I left the label in as the blue glow to the left of it is the end star of the Plough

chris
        shetland

Comment

Great capture considering only 6 shots.

I was trying to get M101 the other night but after the clouds cleared I realised it was below the tree tops so a wasted night. M51 is even lower in the sky so its out of range for me.

Think I am going to have to try and get up at 3:00am to have a go at these.
          Dave

My Flickr

Comment

[QUOTE=crimbo;396376]Got half an hour in before the clouds rolled in.
            This is M51. 6 x 1 min ISO 1600 f2.8 150mm
            This is the astro art demo version. I processed for the Galaxy and did not mask the stars so they are a little messy.
            Tidied up in CS2 and CO9
            I left the label in as the blue glow to the left of it is the end star of the Plough

I thought I would take a look at Astro Art having seen your posts.
            Just downloaded the AA6 demo version. It seems to have some powerful tools.
            Only managed to find two tutorials on YouTube so far. Can you point me at any good ones ?
            Dave

My Flickr

Comment

Yes this is a great shot considering you only had 6 mins worth of data.

I have been trying to get 2 hours or more of data from my yellow light pollution zone (5.44 10^9 W/cm^2*sr). I have got this from here;
              http://www.lightpollutionmap.info/#z...layers=B0TFFFF

If I shoot at 1600 f2.8 with my 40-150mm lens my histogram is way over to the right beyond halfway and I put that down to light pollution from my location.

I am interested to know what sort of light pollution readings others on here are getting for their astro images. I zoom in to my location and then take a spot reading from the light pollution map.
              John

OM-D E-M1, 12-40 f2.8 Pro, Tamron 14-150mm f5.8, E5, E3, Zuiko 50-200mm SWD, Zuiko 12-60mm SWD, Zuiko ED 70-300mm f5.6, 50mmf2, Zuiko ED 9-18mm f5.6, Sigma 50-500mm f6.3, EC14, EC20, RM-1, VA-1

Comment

Not seen this site before. Think I am in a less polluted area. My location spot reading is in the blue (ish) area between bright green and dark blue on the scale
                Its 0.79 10^9 W/cm^2*sr.

I bet Chris in Shetland is located in a very unpolluted area.
                Dave

My Flickr

Comment

[quote=wornish;396406]
                  Originally posted by crimbo View Post

I thought I would take a look at Astro Art having seen your posts.
                  Just downloaded the AA6 demo version. It seems to have some powerful tools.
                  Only managed to find two tutorials on YouTube so far. Can you point me at any good ones ?
                  I have just played with it and not looked at any tutorials

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
                  chris
                  shetland

Comment

Not seen this site before. Think I am in a less polluted area. My location spot reading is in the blue (ish) area between bright green and dark blue on the scale
                    Its 0.79 10^9 W/cm^2*sr.

I bet Chris in Shetland is located in a very unpolluted area.
                    Nope . same as you . on the edge of green to blue - just worked out how to do a spot value - 0.38

chris
                    shetland

Comment

• Re: Astro Photos

Just reprocessed my 12 x 5 min Lights and 3 darks using trial version of Astro Art. Demo won't save so took a screen shot.

Got to say it is very powerful. Not happy with the elongated stars in this version but it did a reasonable job of stacking and processing.

[IMG][/IMG]
                      Dave

My Flickr

Comment

With the histogram stretch you should be able to bring down the brightness of the core

chris
                        shetland

Comment

Originally posted by crimbo View Post
                          With the histogram stretch you should be able to bring down the brightness of the core

I gave it a go, got a bit carried away on the blues now

Anyway here is 2 hours of trial an error with Astro Art demo.

[IMG][/IMG]
                          Dave

My Flickr

Comment

I said in an earlier post I would have a go at M33. Last night I managed over 2 hours worth of data. I had tried a few nights earlier but when I was processing I had a nasty colour cast in the image. It turned out to be a reflection from my neighbours upstairs bathroom light. Although it was not noticeable on the originals images it was with StarTools when autodeveloped. I had to use a bit of black card wrapped round the lens hood to extend the reach.

This one of M33 is taken with 151 light frames 60 secs ISO 800 300mm f4, 15 darks 21 Bias and 20 flats. I am still not convinced these extra frames are worth the effort. They were stacked in DSS and processed in StarTools. Apart from my light polluted location I think the stacking is my next problem as DSS is doing some sort of whitebalancing although I have asked it not to.

John

OM-D E-M1, 12-40 f2.8 Pro, Tamron 14-150mm f5.8, E5, E3, Zuiko 50-200mm SWD, Zuiko 12-60mm SWD, Zuiko ED 70-300mm f5.6, 50mmf2, Zuiko ED 9-18mm f5.6, Sigma 50-500mm f6.3, EC14, EC20, RM-1, VA-1

Comment

You have certainly captured good detail in the galaxy arms.

I agree the more the better in terms of all the extra frames needed to really make a good shot a great shot.
                              Dave

My Flickr

Comment

You have certainly captured good detail in the galaxy arms.

I agree the more the better in terms of all the extra frames needed to really make a good shot a great shot.
                                Thanks Dave. Although the noise reduction is proportional to the square root of the number of frames taken I have not as yet been impressed by the corresponding improvement in image quality. I do think that the Olympus sensor however gives very low noise because all the tools I use to process the image seems to have a very small effect on the noise in the image. My main problem I feel is with light pollution. I have earmarked a few places local to me using the light pollution map where I should be able to get better quality lights but cloudy nights are so difficult to predict.
                                John

Comment

Working...
                                X