Astro Photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Astro Photos

An absolutely stunning shot (or is that shots [plural] for a stacked image?).
    Cameras: E-M5, E-PM2, OM40, OM4Ti
    Lenses (M.Zuiko Digital): 7-14mm/F2.8, 12-40mm/F2.8, 40-150mm/F2.8+TC1.4x, 12-50mm/F3.5-6.3, 14-42mm/F3.5-5.6 EZ, M.ZD 40-150 F4-5.6 R, 75-300mm/F4.8-6.7 Mk1, 12mm/F2, 17mm/F1.8
    Lenses (OM Zuiko): 50mm/F1.2, 24mm/F2, 35mm/F2.8 shift
    Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
    Learn something new every day

Comment

This site has a great forum showing what astro photos are possible using less than 30sec total exposure integration time. Many of the images are produced using DSLRs

It has given me ideas for new targets.

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/2...lenge/?page=14
      Dave

My Flickr

Comment

Thanks for the link Dave. Impressive as they are I would like to know a bit more about where they were taken as light pollution makes a huge difference in the total exposure time required to get something worth looking at.
        John

OM-D E-M1, 12-40 f2.8 Pro, Tamron 14-150mm f5.8, E5, E3, Zuiko 50-200mm SWD, Zuiko 12-60mm SWD, Zuiko ED 70-300mm f5.6, 50mmf2, Zuiko ED 9-18mm f5.6, Sigma 50-500mm f6.3, EC14, EC20, RM-1, VA-1

Comment

Originally posted by OM USer View Post
          An absolutely stunning shot (or is that shots [plural] for a stacked image?).
          Thanks . Astrophotography is a bit of an odd art. You get improvement not by better technique or framing but by taking more (a lot more) of the same.
          John

OM-D E-M1, 12-40 f2.8 Pro, Tamron 14-150mm f5.8, E5, E3, Zuiko 50-200mm SWD, Zuiko 12-60mm SWD, Zuiko ED 70-300mm f5.6, 50mmf2, Zuiko ED 9-18mm f5.6, Sigma 50-500mm f6.3, EC14, EC20, RM-1, VA-1

Comment

Everything worked last night after many failed attempts. Managed to finally get 10 x 8 minute shots of the Elephant Trunk Nebula. Needs more data but at least I got it.

EM5 Mk2 on 550mm scope with guiding.
            Last edited by wornish; 3rd January 2017, 02:19 PM. Reason: Further post processing
            Dave

My Flickr

Comment

That's a real challenge Dave using the sort of equipment and location we have. Its not on my list of astro things to photo unless I go up to narrow band imaging
              John

Comment

Originally posted by birdboy View Post
                That's a real challenge Dave using the sort of equipment and location we have. Its not on my list of astro things to photo unless I go up to narrow band imaging
                I realise that after having tried it It was ideally located so I thought I would give it a go.

I am going to persevere a bit longer and try and get another hour or so worth of exposures tonight if possible before Dew stops play.

Finally managing to get targeting to work after having more than a few wasted nights taking pictures of random star fields over the last few weeks. The Elephant Trunk is completely invisible to the naked eye or even using Olympus Capture on Boost, so you have to get the location spot on and take long exposure shots. Going to try 10 min exposures tonight now I have discovered the EM5mk2 was set to limit Bulb time to 8 minutes, so now upped it to 15.
                Dave

My Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by wornish View Post
                  I am going to persevere a bit longer and try and get another hour or so worth of exposures tonight if possible before Dew stops play.
                  Considering the kit you have I do think investing in dew controllers a must.
                  I have 3 heater tapes, one for the camera lens one for the tracking scope and one for the polar scope using a 4 way controller. I got mine from FLO but two of the tapes cables pulled out from the tape requiring me to solder them back in. I have since seen what looks a much better set of tapes from www.dewcontrol.com
                  John

Comment

Originally posted by birdboy View Post
                    Considering the kit you have I do think investing in dew controllers a must.
                    I have 3 heater tapes, one for the camera lens one for the tracking scope and one for the polar scope using a 4 way controller. I got mine from FLO but two of the tapes cables pulled out from the tape requiring me to solder them back in. I have since seen what looks a much better set of tapes from www.dewcontrol.com
                    Dew control is my next purchase did you get the HiTecAstro - 4 port 4 channel controller from FLO or should I look at this other site for theirs?
                    I will certainly get tapes from your link - thanks for the info.
                    Dave

My Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by wornish View Post
                      Dew control is my next purchase did you get the HiTecAstro - 4 port 4 channel controller from FLO or should I look at this other site for theirs?
                      I will certainly get tapes from your link - thanks for the info.
                      Yes i did get the quad HiTecAstro controller and quite like it because it has nobs for setting the tape current, although having set them half way I have not touched them so Dew Controls option may be better.
                      John

Comment

Lesson Learnt !
                        This is a stack of 8 x 10 minutes exposures and is one of the technically best astro shots I have done with the EM5mk2. Great round stars.
                        Only problem is I got the wrong target because the star chart I used for targeting was set to the incorrect time - ah well you learn from your mistakes I thought it was going too well.

Did manage to get two satellites as well

[IMG][/IMG]
                        Dave

My Flickr

Comment

and who said astro imaging was easy!
                          But why the 8 min subs rather than 1 min subs

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
                          chris
                          shetland

Comment

... also are the star spikes from the scope or processing ?

chris
                            shetland

Comment

Originally posted by crimbo View Post
                              and who said astro imaging was easy!
                              But why the 8 min subs rather than 1 min subs

I was trying to capture The elephants trunk nebula which is very feint, longer exposures give you more signal less noise when stacked, the sensor noise is averaged out in stacking. The shot above taken earlier this week was taken using 10 x 8 minute subs. BUT I missed the target the second time trying to get more data. Some of the shots people have taken are 15min subs!

Originally posted by crimbo View Post
                              ... also are the star spikes from the scope or processing ?
                              I was fed up because I missed so added the star spikes in processing. You normally get them when using reflector scopes not refractors.
                              Dave

My Flickr

Comment

But I thought you have a goto mount Dave

Great star image though.

10 min exposures is a long time without narrowband filters so what ISO were you using and what is the effective aperture of your 550mm telescope lens?

I have found that if I stop down with zuiko lenses I can get the star burst effect and assume its because when stopped down the blades of the iris contribute.
                                John

Comment

Working...
                                X