This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Communal flowers, trees, plants and fungi thread

I'm not saying what they are, I'll see if anyone can identify them.

It's the image that's important, not the tools used to make it.

David M's Photoblog

Comment

Roscoea auriculata

I purchased this species of ginger to grow alongside my hardy gingers (Hedychiumhttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roscoea_auriculata

The stereo is crosseye.

EM-1, Kiron 105, f16, twin TTL RC flash, hand-held.

Harold

The body is willing but the mind is weak.

Comment

• Broad-leaved Helleborine by John Dalrymple, on Flickr
        John

m4/3: E-P2, EM-5, 100-300, 14-42mm 12-50mm, 45mm, panny 14mm. 4/3: 7-14 + Flashes & tripods & stuff

"Take nothing but pictures and leave nothing but footprints".

Flickr gallery

Comment

Originally posted by David M View Post

As no one wants to have a guess here's a clue. They're quite small, the magnification was probably 4x or 5x so they're only a few millimeters long.

David M's Photoblog

Comment

• Fuligo septica. Not a fungus but its lifestyle places it in this thread.

Late in the afternoon, I walked to the bottom of our garden to consult my wife, who was there already, about the evening meal. When we had both finished what we had to say, we simultaneously glanced down at the dead, almost dried out log at our feet. On it was a bright yellow patch (ca 45mm x 35mm) which neither of us had noticed.

This part of the garden has a number of rotting logs, on which various fungi and Myxomycetes live. I recognised this species immediately. I had not seen it in our garden for several years. I photographed it just after we found it (first five images) and again the following day. Then I captured the degradation of the colony on the fourth day (last two images).

These fungus-like organisms are fascinating. Why is a non-dispersal stage so brightly coloured? Although the colony looks the same all the way across, different things are happing at its margins. I have offered a number of views so that there may be seen.

EM-1, Kiron 105mm f16. First image 1/100 sec daylight. Remainder: twin TTL flash. All hand-held.

Harold

[IMG]http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/ufiles/63/1330063.jpg[/IMG

Comment

Surgeon at Work

[IMG][/IMG]
              Dave

My Flickr

Comment

Dave

My Flickr

Comment

Sweet Myrtle.

Not a lady friend but the shrub of Mediterranean origin, Myrtus communis. It is supposed to need a long, hot summer to make it flower but ours in now doing so anyway. It has produced masses of spherical buds, which turn white and then open into spectacular flowers. The really need to be seen in the round to appreciate them, so I have provided a crosseye stereo pair.

The third one has come out white than the others, as have the stereo pair (auto WB). I have checked and it is a matter of brightness. I am happy to leave it like that.

EM-1, Kiron 105 f16, first and third twin flash, second and fourth daylight, all hand-held.

Harold

Comment

If anyone can identify the flower bud it's related to the above.

David M's Photoblog

Comment

Hi David

Only just seen this as I have been on holiday. My guess is stick insect eggs working on the principal that you are playing a trick on us. The ones I have seen were not textured.

If they are plant seeds then I am way off. I am expecting a trick question.

peter
                      Peter (Art Frames)

You can see some of my things on Flickr

Comment

They do look like insect eggs don't they. But this is the flora thread. Not the Flora thread as I don't think the oil is used for margarine.

David M's Photoblog

Comment

They do look like insect eggs don't they. But this is the flora thread. Not the Flora thread as I don't think the oil is used for margarine.
                          Right start again. Is it a seed?

edit...I've just seen the flower picture clue. Which is no help...so probably best to give in here!
                          Peter (Art Frames)

You can see some of my things on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by art frames View Post
                            Right start again. Is it a seed?

edit...I've just seen the flower picture clue. Which is no help...so probably best to give in here!
                            I'll upload and post a shot of an open flower next time I'm somewhere with WiFi.

David M's Photoblog

Comment

Passiflora aurantiaca

This species has a slightly misleading name, as as only the backs of the sepals have much orange colour. I posted some images just after I purchased it, when it had been trained in a tight spiral.

At that time, I was unsure if I would get more flowers this year, it having flowered earlier than the normal season, which is now. Now that it is growing vigorously up an old apple tree, it is producing lots of flowers. Of course, it is attaching its tendrils to twigs, some of which I have avoided, other I have cloned out.

I usually use f16 or macro subjects. This time I have tried some shots at f22 and have found no significant diffraction blur.

EM-1(manual mode), Kiron 105, twin flash, hand-held.

The stereo is crosseye.

Harold

Comment

If anyone can identify the flower bud it's related to the above.

The bluer flower is the older, they get bluer as they mature.

David M's Photoblog

Comment

Working...
                                X