X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gate Keeper
    replied
    Originally posted by Ian View Post

Fantastic colour - does this mean it's hazardous to potential predators?

Ian
    Thank you Ian. Red can be a sign to keep away. I have seen this in a button spider and in the assassination bug, but with this dragonfly, I don’t know the answer, my apologies.

Leave a comment:

• Melaka
    commented on 's reply
    You also see butterflies on elephant droppings which are of a more attractive appearance that this lot!

• wornish
    replied
    Great shot. Until I read your description I never realised the butterfly was there in the big image. The detail in the flower caught my eye.

Leave a comment:

• art frames
    commented on 's reply
    And especially for phil Gate Keeper
    This is a video shot of the Brown hairstreak on the bramble. Hand held at 210mm steadied a bit in editing

Brown Hairstreak by Peter Willmott, on Flickr

• art frames
    commented on 's reply
    When it works well it is a great lens but if you can stretch to the 40-150 and 1.4 do that. It is a better lens and more consistent. But when you want a lens that does everything on a hike. the 12-200 is wonderful

• art frames
    replied
    This is one of the late emerging UK butterflies - the Brown Hairstreak. Each year I travel to see it, and am often unlucky as it is only found in small numbers and not in Northants. So this was in Oxfordshire in a reserve recommended by MikeOxon a few years back. I have been there each year since and in August 2019 I saw this. It is one of our prettiest butterflies.

Click image for larger version

Name:	brown hairstreak.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	265.9 KB
ID:	774523

Leave a comment:

• Ian
    replied
    Originally posted by Gate Keeper View Post
    A Broad Scarlet observed hovering near a pond in Laikipia, Kenya

Broad scarlet Kenya
    by philip Gate Keeper, on Flickr
    Fantastic colour - does this mean it's hazardous to potential predators?

Ian

Leave a comment:

• Gate Keeper
    replied
    Thank you Peter and thank you Mark. Today I felt inspired by watching your videos and I have been out practicing with the Olympus filming the butterflies and the cows. Peter, I am impressed by the range the 12-200 gives you. Thank you both for sharing.

Leave a comment:

• MJ224
    commented on 's reply
    Lovely photo Phil, and such a pretty dragonfly..:-)

• art frames
    commented on 's reply
    Phil, nicely done. Glad you have a pond to visit. Hope to see more Odonata

• art frames
    commented on 's reply
    Phil, glad to bring some brown to your day :-)

• Gate Keeper
    replied
    A Broad Scarlet observed hovering near a pond in Laikipia, Kenya

Broad scarlet Kenya
    by philip Gate Keeper, on Flickr

Leave a comment:

• Gate Keeper
    commented on 's reply
    Superb photos Peter and thank you for reminding me about the appeal and use of dung and scat, ha!

• art frames
    commented on 's reply
    the 12-200 enables me to go from

straight to this

• art frames
    replied
    Gate Keeper This is one for Phil as we have had previous conversations about scat, dung, poop and things that smell.

These lovely brown butterflies (Arran Brown and Bright-eyed Ringlet) were dining at the most disgusting animal dropping you could imagine. I bet the animal felt guilty and was glad to leave it behind. Thankfully I was able to use a longish lens as it made your eyes water. For some butterflies the smellier the better.

For everyone who takes macros. I admire your courage...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X