X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Communal Dragonfly, Butterfly and Insect photo thread

Pete

...that's a belter!

I love the way some species walk around the stem hiding from you. As I walk round they do too. It's a bit like Harry Worth sometimes (I think we can still talk about him...). Are you sure there aren't two side-by-side?

Any other humorous shots would be more than welcome.

regards
    Peter
    Peter (Art Frames)

You can see some of my things on Flickr

Comment

A Four Spotted Chaser from earlier this year:

Thanks for looking.

Dave

Comment

Dave

That is absolutely first class. Thank you for sharing it with us.

210mm - is that the 40-150 with 1.4tc perhaps

This thread gets better and better. Thanks everyone.
        Peter (Art Frames)

Comment

What it says on the tin

DD4 by cliff scrivens, on Flickr,

Thirsty Douglas by cliff scrivens, on Flickr

Just for fun Peter, I'll get back on track soon
          Cliff, my Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/cliffscrivens/

Comment

Hi Cliff, I think it was in Animal Farm that the pigs began to sing a new song "six legs good, two wheels bad" or something like that...

But you can make up for your joke with an insect of choice, I don't think I can be forgiven for mine....
            Peter (Art Frames)

Comment

Originally posted by art frames View Post
              Dave

That is absolutely first class. Thank you for sharing it with us.

210mm - is that the 40-150 with 1.4tc perhaps

This thread gets better and better. Thanks everyone.
              Thanks Peter,

You're spot on, taken with the 40-150 and 1.4 TC, a very versatile combination.

Dave

Comment

Again from earlier this year, an Emperor Dragonfly:

Thanks for looking.

Dave

Comment

Another instalment of French butterflies which I find help cheer me up whenever I feel low. Which tends to happen at this time of year (decreasing sun, increasing rain, wind and then snow) accompanied by the the loss of butterflies. So for me I can remember the feeling of sun and light in France on the holiday where I was when I took these. Do you have similar memories triggered by your wildlife photos?

Large Chequered Skipper - I have seen this butterfly now twice in my life. On this occasion my wife and I were on a walk through a forest, sweat was dripping from me and I was being savaged by biting flies. I spotted a tiny movement, a bit like a moth but different enough to grab my complete attention. It is a wonderful feeling to spot something new or rare. For the next five minutes I carefully took whatever pictures I could. The butterfly allowed me to get 'just so' close but flew whenever I moved too fast or got inside the 'safety zone'. Eventually, it decided it was going and that ended my encounter. You may see from the posture this is a butterfly with attitude. A special meeting.

Mating pair of Provencal Fritillaries. When butterflies mate you can often get quite close without disturbing them. I love this shot as it shows the upperside and underside of the wings in a quite natural way. With fritillaries you do need to have both to get a positive ID. Despite that there are at least four species which are virtually identical. I believe these are provencal fritillaries, based on location and identifying marks, but I may be wrong
                  Peter (Art Frames)

Comment

Common Darter, taken in August '15 however, not previously posted:

Thanks for looking.

Dave

Comment

Hi Dave

I confess to being relatively new to dragonfly observation and capture (a couple of years or so in any serious way). But I am trying to learn what I can and share what I can here between us all.

Please carry on sharing (there are no rules at all here - so don't worry if they are from a few seasons back even ). Your pictures are lovely.

I am guessing that you have more than a passing interest, and that you have skills and knowledge to pass on.

I notice a sort of glow on the wings, is that because they are recently emerged or is it how you shoot them. Either way I would like to know how I might get a similar look. ...unless it is a deep trade secret which you are keen to keep.

Hope you don't mind the question.

regards
                      Peter (Art Frames)

Comment

Hi Dave

I confess to being relatively new to dragonfly observation and capture (a couple of years or so in any serious way). But I am trying to learn what I can and share what I can here between us all.

Please carry on sharing (there are no rules at all here - so don't worry if they are from a few seasons back even ). Your pictures are lovely.

I am guessing that you have more than a passing interest, and that you have skills and knowledge to pass on.

I notice a sort of glow on the wings, is that because they are recently emerged or is it how you shoot them. Either way I would like to know how I might get a similar look. ...unless it is a deep trade secret which you are keen to keep.

Hope you don't mind the question.

regards
                        Hi Peter,

Thanks for your kind comments regarding my pics, they're appreciated.

You're correct that I have a more than passing interest in Dragonflies and Damselflies, I think they are a challenge to photograph and interesting creatures.

I don't know much however, I'm more than happy to share what little knowledge I have.

The Common Darter pics were taken at circa 14:30 on 1st August this year, it was a bright sunny day so this may help account for the glow on the wings, looking at the Dragonfly itself I think it must have been recently emerged for the colours to be so clean and the wings to have that sheen to them.

No trade secrets to tell I'm afraid, just a good camera and lens combo.

If you're interested in Dragonflies, I'd recommend the following book as an aid to finding and identifying them: WildGuides Britain's Dragonflies by Dave Smallshire and Andy Swash.

I have several more pics from this year yet to edit, I'll continue to post as I work my way through them.

I hope this is of some help.

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by DavyG View Post
                          Hi Peter,

Thanks for your kind comments regarding my pics, they're appreciated.

You're correct that I have a more than passing interest in Dragonflies and Damselflies, I think they are a challenge to photograph and interesting creatures.

I don't know much however, I'm more than happy to share what little knowledge I have.

The Common Darter pics were taken at circa 14:30 on 1st August this year, it was a bright sunny day so this may help account for the glow on the wings, looking at the Dragonfly itself I think it must have been recently emerged for the colours to be so clean and the wings to have that sheen to them.

No trade secrets to tell I'm afraid, just a good camera and lens combo.

If you're interested in Dragonflies, I'd recommend the following book as an aid to finding and identifying them: WildGuides Britain's Dragonflies by Dave Smallshire and Andy Swash.

I have several more pics from this year yet to edit, I'll continue to post as I work my way through them.

I hope this is of some help.

Dave
                          Thank you Dave. I have that book, and agree it is good, plus two more (Field Guide to the Dragonflies & Damselflies of Great Britain and Ireland and the Dragonfly Atlas - which was a bargain at the Birdfair this year!). But I find myself mostly using them to ID what I have taken (apart from the more common species which I am getting better at) when I get home. I guess I learn a lot slower now, butterflies I started 50 years ago, I picked it up quicker then.

I am thinking of travelling further afield next year because I think I have seen most of the species in Northamptonshire. So if anyone has any good sites to share with likely species then that would be appreciated.

Equipment is important. I have found the combination of the 40-150 and teleconverter to be perfect and have been motivated to go out more and take more. Using SAF+MF with focus peaking switched on automatically I have been able to see what is in focus much more clearly, and make subtle manual changes before taking the shot. Makes the Oly system perfect for me.

If you are right about the shine being the result of newness and sunshine, then it will be something to aim for. I have taken shots of wing drying before so I will study mine and see if they look similar. A good trade secret would have been easier!

Please post away. I look forward to seeing many many more. And in the meantime feel free to check my tentative ID on the next one - I aim to put up soon.
                          Peter (Art Frames)

Comment

Having looked at this a number of times, I am coming down on this being a Keeled Skimmer. I would appreciate any confirmations or doubts...

It was France, and a lovely spot, near to a small private lake, and water mill where we were staying.

NB Dave - I could really use the shiny wings here! I have tried to lift them a bit as it the only shots I have of this insect.
                            Peter (Art Frames)

Comment

Having looked at this a number of times, I am coming down on this being a Keeled Skimmer. I would appreciate any confirmations or doubts...

It was France, and a lovely spot, near to a small private lake, and water mill where we were staying.

NB Dave - I could really use the shiny wings here! I have tried to lift them a bit as it the only shots I have of this insect.
                              Nice capture Peter, I think it's a Keeled Skimmer also.

I suspect it would be difficult to get shiny wings from the angle the pic was taken, especially with the background, it's still a nice shot though.

Dave

Comment

An iconic butterfly - the Large Blue. A beautiful and scarce butterfly with a rather dark side to it's nature.

Like several of the blues it has a symbiotic relationship with ants. In this case one particular species of red ant. The caterpillar spends a good proportion of it's life in an ant nest. It achieves that by falling to the ground, producing a sweet fluid and mimicking the appearance of an ant grub.

Once in the nest it becomes a predator and eats the grubs of it's hosts, up to 500 of them.

There are a few sites in the UK with small colonies of the butterfly, most are secret. All butterflies are the result of reintroduction and careful site management. One quite public site which welcomes visitors is Collard Hill in Somerset (managed by the National Trust). It is a lovely site, and during the flying period there are often guides to give helpful information on where you might see the butterfly.

This individual was shot in rural France as opposed to the Swedish gene pool which we now have in the UK after their reintroduction.

The pattern of spots on the fore wing, plus the size makes it a fairly easy butterfly to spot. Plus they do pose well
                                Peter (Art Frames)

Comment

Working...
                                X