This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Communal dragonfly and butterfly thread

its a great shot, I am starting to regret no getting the EM-5 Mk2 I have the EM-5 Mk1 the EM-1 and just received the EM-10 Mk2 which I have yet to try
    I also have the 40-150 and 1.4 tc do you use flash

best regards

Roger

Comment

Green Oak Tortrix Moth caterpillar.

It's the image that's important, not the tools used to make it.

David M's Photoblog

Comment

Originally posted by David M View Post
        Green Oak Tortrix Moth caterpillar.

I hope there were a few more! Doesn't look an easy audience.
        Peter (Art Frames)

You can see some of my things on Flickr

Comment

A terrible year for odonata on my local patches. Banded demoiselle numbers were very low compared to recent years where numbers have increased year on year. A poised female beside the river Idle.

Closer Lady Demoiselle by Pete O'Sullivan, on Flickr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Comment

Originally posted by art frames View Post
            I hope there were a few more! Doesn't look an easy audience.
            There was a large Oak tree 75 yards from the nest box so there was a steady stream of them coming in for the young. IIRC there was 9 young in the brood who all fledged although the last got left in the box overnight and left the next morning.

David M's Photoblog

Comment

Pete thank you for the female banded demoiselle, a beauty. It is a classic pose and at one site I visit they sit like it all along the river. You have got a nice background too. Just enough detail to show habitat, but soft and with some marks to lead the eye. But on numbers, I would agree that this year was not as good as last year. But numbers are rising here as well on a trend.

I was going to post something different but to follow your lead, here is another damsel. This year, I have encountered a new species - for me. I was shown an emerald damselfly by the county recorder. I met him by accident at a site he recommended on his blog. I had visited twice before but couldn't see any emeralds, and to be honest never would have without his help! It had the appearance of a blue tailed damselfly until it rested and you looked through a lens. So I had just been ignoring them as I scanned the water!

So now I can 'see' them - my new issue is getting them in focus, they are one of the few damselflies not to sit with wings together. So they are a challenge, Which I am only partially getting!

but a lovely insect.

Peter (Art Frames)

Comment

• Re: Communal Dragonfly, Butterfly and Insect photo thread

A big thank you to Graham who has changed the title of this thread to encourage a wider selection of insects, which may help more people post and bring out some more shots from our macro experts. I look forward to learning a great deal from what you bring to share...

So, to start us off I am posting a picture of a beetle which I researched and found was a Flower Beetle. I came across it in virtually every dog rose i tried to photograph in May/June. They are very lovely and so I took dozens and this was one of my favourites

Flower Beetle
                by Peter Willmott, on Flickr

Plus a soldier beetle which interested me because of the seeds and webs which formed his world.

Soldier beetle

And just to prove butterflies and damselflies are equally loved here is scarce chaser. This was on a new site to me, just a narrow ditch next to a path in a reserve. But the grey/blue water gave a wonderful out of focus background which enhanced the detailed wings and hairy insect.

Scarce Chaser

What beetles, crickets, flies, hornets, etc etc are you ready to share.
                Peter (Art Frames)

Comment

So no arachnids then?

David M's Photoblog

Comment

I love the subtle colouring in that Scarce Chaser image Peter. A beauty.

Ron

Comment

Originally posted by David M View Post
                      So no arachnids then?
                      yes but only very tiny ones like this one

very tiny spider by Peter Willmott, on Flickr
                      Peter (Art Frames)

Comment

Pete thank you for the female banded demoiselle, a beauty. It is a classic pose and at one site I visit they sit like it all along the river. You have got a nice background too. Just enough detail to show habitat, but soft and with some marks to lead the eye. But on numbers, I would agree that this year was not as good as last year. But numbers are rising here as well on a trend.

I was going to post something different but to follow your lead, here is another damsel. This year, I have encountered a new species - for me. I was shown an emerald damselfly by the county recorder. I met him by accident at a site he recommended on his blog. I had visited twice before but couldn't see any emeralds, and to be honest never would have without his help! It had the appearance of a blue tailed damselfly until it rested and you looked through a lens. So I had just been ignoring them as I scanned the water!
                        It was unusually cold in June/July, very cold evenings in July in particular. Perhaps the colder water temps halted the emergence this year.

The only emerald i have on Flickr is this mouldy example, lovely insects to see.

Tatty Emerald Damselfly - OM 90/2 by Pete O'Sullivan, on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by bredman View Post
                          It was unusually cold in June/July, very cold evenings in July in particular. Perhaps the colder water temps halted the emergence this year.

The only emerald i have on Flickr is this mouldy example, lovely insects to see.

Tatty Emerald Damselfly - OM 90/2 by Pete O'Sullivan, on Flickr
                          Pete

What causes them to get mouldy? Is that weather related?

I see you have sorted a better approach angle to get most of the damsel in focus. I will be trying that next year! Plus I look forward to trying some focus stacking after the camera update. I don't have the EM1 so it will be in photoshop, so probably not that frequently.

Keep them coming. Insects of all types including Canadian tiny spiders
                          Peter (Art Frames)

Comment

Keep them coming. Insects of all types including Canadian tiny spiders
                            But absolutely not Australian mega spiders
                            Peter (Art Frames)

Comment

I am hoping that someone here is an aphid expert that can help to tell us about these aphids (???). I was actually in a meadow in Hertfordshire photographing small blues when I saw these colonising a flower stem. I have several shots if anyone is interested, in some you can see the bubbles of honeydew.

Apologies if they are not aphids. I am happy to post the small blue butterflies in preference, if this gets a big yuk!
                              Peter (Art Frames)

Comment

Pete

What causes them to get mouldy? Is that weather related?

I see you have sorted a better approach angle to get most of the damsel in focus.
                                Age related i would assume, weakened immune systems. Or just accumulated gunk they can't preen off.

It's always better to get the whole abdomen on the focus plane if possible, but not essential.

Slightly Warm Teneral Blue by Pete O'Sullivan, on Flickr

Comment

Working...
                                X