This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Communal dragonfly and butterfly thread

I too went for a walk in the sunshine today, Peter, and there were quite a few Speckled Woods still to be seen. Apart from one or two Red Admirals I didn't see any other butterflies. I spent quite a lot of time attempting to photograph a couple of Migrant Hawker dragonflies hovering over a pond but every time I found them in the viewfinder they zoomed off again.

Ron

Comment

Originally posted by Olybirder View Post
      I too went for a walk in the sunshine today, Peter, and there were quite a few Speckled Woods still to be seen. Apart from one or two Red Admirals I didn't see any other butterflies. I spent quite a lot of time attempting to photograph a couple of Migrant Hawker dragonflies hovering over a pond but every time I found them in the viewfinder they zoomed off again.

Ron
      They are like that in the sunshine. But if you can wait for them to stop, or catch something then they tend to rest and be easily approached. Unless you were trying to get them in flight like Brian, in which case, I have no idea...my camera just zooms backwards and forwards and I take pictures of trees in the distance, or clouds...
      Peter (Art Frames)

You can see some of my things on Flickr

Comment

Yes, I was attempting to get them as they hovered in flight over the water. They were stationary and looked to easy so capture but I failed miserably.

Ron

Comment

Nice late afternoon walk I came across one Ivy tree/bush with five red admirals enjoying the flowers. It was the only one of several bushes all together that had been selected, so whether it had the best nectar, was the warmest, most sheltered or had some other interest factor I don't know. But it gave me that problem of how do you take pictures of more than one insect at a time. Aside from framing, getting them 'mostly' in focus I usually prefer three (rather than two) or a single to arrange. But these were always in pairs, and never close together. I involved a bee in one! I only had a straight on approach as it was on the other side of a deep ditch.

So those are all of my excuses.

Once, I have my pictures I often see if a gentle resettlement can be achieved. But the ditch was the winner here.
          Peter (Art Frames)

Comment

Ivy is definitely the 'right' setting for Red Admirals, Peter. The dark green foliage really complements the colours of the butterfly. I agree that it is difficult coping with more than one butterfly in the frame at the same time and mine usually end up as record shots. I regard it as a real bonus that these stunning butterflies appear so late in the season.

Ron

Comment

Originally posted by Olybirder View Post
              I regard it as a real bonus that these stunning butterflies appear so late in the season.

Ron
              Absolutely, plus they are always bright and bold and usually fresh specimens from summer broods.

The thing I love to see is the interaction between autumn insects and autumn fruit. Which is where I started this thread off!. But if you have pictures of red admirals on fallen apples or plums, please post them!

The nearest image I have seen is from the artist Gordon Beningfield, this is a link to a painting. I was a fan of Gordon since art school, I met him a number of times. He was a lovely man and talented artist. But he was the finest butterfly artist, and a good naturalist. he observed every image he painted of butterfly behaviour and the bearing and pose is always natural.

But I would love to see photographic images of this behaviour as it is just 'so right'
              Peter (Art Frames)

Comment

Originally posted by art frames View Post
                The nearest image I have seen is from the artist Gordon Beningfield, this is a link to a painting. I was a fan of Gordon since art school, I met him a number of times. He was a lovely man and talented artist. But he was the finest butterfly artist, and a good naturalist. he observed every image he painted of butterfly behaviour and the bearing and pose is always natural.
                Gordon Beningfield painted a butterfly series which featured on UK postage stamps some years back (80's?). He used to live in a pretty cottage at Water End near Hemel Hempsted.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Ford View Post
                  Gordon Beningfield painted a butterfly series which featured on UK postage stamps some years back (80's?). He used to live in a pretty cottage at Water End near Hemel Hempsted.

Jim
                  Jim

His wife, Betty still lives there. She remains well but sadly Gordon passed away in the 90s. I went to the garden of his cottage a couple of times and even brought in a national press photographer to shoot some pictures of Gordon with some schoolchildren 'pond-dipping' in the River Gade just outside his cottage.

Fond memories, for me.

Peter
                  Peter (Art Frames)

Comment

This post is, hopefully, going to get some answers from bush cricket expert Bredman. If not then I can offer very little insight to these!

Bredman posted some bush crickets here you may remember...

Originally posted by art frames View Post
                    Bredman, thank you for posting all of these.

The bush crickets are lovely. I have taken photographs myself, but have very little knowledge of their behaviours and it is really good to have a starting point. But I'm sure you have more.

You have done well for getting them in good focus. They are a challenge to me - especially the antennae.
                    So I offer these from France a few years back.

I think the last two are praying mantids. But the first two...?... are they bush crickets?
                    Peter (Art Frames)

Comment

The first is a grasshopper nymph and the second is a bushcricket. Not sure what species the bushcricket is. Grasshoppers have short stubby antennae and are active in the daytime and bushcrickets have very long antennae and generally sing at night but may also be active during the daylight.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Comment

You can tell if it's a bushcricket as it's difficult to keep the whole antennae in the image .

Male nymph - note the undeveloped wings - L-W Conehead

Male Nymph Long-Winged Conehead by Pete O'Sullivan, on Flickr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Comment

Thought it time to post again!

so joining in

almost a butterfly ( bombs gone)

And making more Butterflies.

good idea for a thread.
                          Ed

Live life in the slow lane.

Comment

Originally posted by bredman View Post
                            You can tell if it's a bushcricket as it's difficult to keep the whole antennae in the image .
                            Pete

That is the kind of simple ID help that works for me. I will have a look at several insect shots now and see if they are of interest.

many thanks.

PS I swear one of your shots from yesterday was here and now isn't...
                            Peter (Art Frames)

Comment

Ed

Welcome. I hope you have more to add.

An excellent caterpillar action shot. I have a number of similar bird action shots - but I assumed that was to lower weight for take-off.

And another first in capturing speckled woods mating. Not a pairing I have seen before, some seem to be more showy, like 'blues' others more discreet...

Thank you
                              Peter (Art Frames)

Comment

Here is a butterfly shot in a mountain pass in Corsica and a pair of Ringlet Butterflies mating in my garden.

Harold

The body is willing but the mind is weak.

Comment

Working...
                                X