X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Communal Dragonfly, Butterfly and Insect photo thread

Originally posted by art frames View Post
    Alf, some lovely creatures there. I shall need to do some research to see where to look for some.
    Pete,

Some insects, such as Alderflies and St Mark's flies, are unlikely to be found far away from open water.

At this time of the year many insects are attracted to crucifers and flowering currant. Gooseberry and currant flowers attract bumble bees.

Later on look at the inflorescences of flowering shrubs for Chafers and Longhorn beetles. Goldenrod and umbellifers flowers are very good for flies and wasps. Raspberries and blackberry flowers are good for pollen and nectar feeders. Currant leaves are good sunning platforms. Broad leaves, such as rhubarb, are home to some bugs (Coreidae).

Harold
    The body is willing but the mind is weak.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnheatingman
      Well spotted Phil ! That IS a big moth

John
      Thanks John, in fact today I came across another Owl Moth in the forest this afternoon but have not yet edited it. I continue to marvel at the high quality of the photos the folks are posting up and even though I am not up to their standards, I am cracking on
      All the best

Phil
      https://www.flickr.com/gp/gatekeeperphil/44A3Dc

Comment

Carpenter Bee A female Xylocopa Caffra seen in the forest this afternoon visiting the Lantana - Wild Sage

Carpenter Bee - Female Xylocopa Caffra, by philip Gate Keeper, on Flickr
        All the best

Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Johnheatingman
          Hi Phil, I wouldn't be too worried about standards of photos etc. it's all about enjoying the hobby and also, in your case, enabling all of us to see the fabulous wildlife you encounter. Just keep enjoying, taking photos and posting them here, everyone is appreciated.

Regards,

John
          Thank you John for the reassurance. You are right about it being a hobby and it gets me out. Today I was out for 2 hours in the forest and the meadow, listening to the bird sounds and watching out for everything, the monkeys and the snakes. Looking at the wild flowers and breathing in the fresh air. I find it relaxing and it helps me to keep fit. The more I practice, the more I am liking the Oly.
          All the best

Phil

Comment

Bee-fly Bombilius major

These flies have been around sporadically on several days but I have yet to get the shots I really want. In the meantime:

Olympus EM-1, Olympus 4/3 x 2TC, Olympus 4/3 50mm f2 macro, f13, TTL flash.

All have been cropped moderately

Harold

Comment

A couple more shots of the wasp I shot the other week of a Vespula Vulgaris

Here is the search for nectar

Searching by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Here feeding at a non flowering nectary

Feeding by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Another shot of a female Andrena Clarkella on a cold day

Andrena Clarkella by Alf Branch, on Flickr

My first bumble bee of the year

Bumble bee by Alf Branch, on Flickr

A wood louse on the house wall

Wood lice by Alf Branch, on Flickr
              OMD E-M1 OMD E-M5II MMF3 12-40 pro 12-50 EZ 14-42 EZ 9-18 f4.0 -5.6 40 -150f4-f5.6 R 60mm f2.8 macro Sigma 105 f2.8 macro Holga 60mm plastic Holga pinhole lens lens and a XZ-1 Olympus - 35 SP Trip 35 Pen EEs OM2sp

I nice view does not mean a good photograph. My FLickr

Comment

Busy Bee

Dave

My Flickr

Comment

By Gum, don't where to start..........

Lovely sets of insect photos by all...................

Comment

Bryony Ladybird Beetle

This species has appeared on Bryony in our garden for about the fifth year. This beetle is herbivorous, as can be seen in the second image. They are covered in tiny hairs, rather than being smooth and shiny, like the more familiar species.

They readily fall of the foliage when approached and more than one may do it at the same time.

Olympus EM-1, Olympus 4/3 x2TC, Olympus 3/3 50mm f2 macro, f11-18, sunlight.

The stereo is crosseye.

All of the images have been moderately cropped.

Harold

Comment

Here are some test shots with my twin flash unit an Olympus STF-8 I need to sort some diffusion

A drain fly

Drain fly by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Fly by Alf Branch, on Flickr
                      OMD E-M1 OMD E-M5II MMF3 12-40 pro 12-50 EZ 14-42 EZ 9-18 f4.0 -5.6 40 -150f4-f5.6 R 60mm f2.8 macro Sigma 105 f2.8 macro Holga 60mm plastic Holga pinhole lens lens and a XZ-1 Olympus - 35 SP Trip 35 Pen EEs OM2sp

I nice view does not mean a good photograph. My FLickr

Comment

Hoverfly on Winter Jasmine

This was, apart from some Bumble Bees, the only pollinator I saw in our garden on this sunny day after the rainy spring. The plant is rather twiggy, which does not give good backgrounds.

The stereo is crosseye.

Olympus EM-1, Olympus 4/3 50mm f2 macro, 1/200 or 1/250 at f13, ISO 800, sunlight.

Harold

Comment

Be interested to see how the twin flash set-up evolves Alf. Not sure I have the patience you and Harold have with flies. But the results are good to see.
                          Peter (Art Frames)

You can see some of my things on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by art frames View Post
                            Not sure I have the patience you and Harold have with flies.
                            Peter,

The real patience is required for small fungi and, especially, Slime Moulds. I shoot flies for relaxation!

Harold

Comment

Originally posted by Harold Gough View Post
                              Peter,

The real patience is required for small fungi and, especially, Slime Moulds. I shoot flies for relaxation!

Harold
                              I drink beer for relaxation. Perhaps that is where I go wrong.
                              Peter (Art Frames)

You can see some of my things on Flickr

Comment

Locust Also known as Grasshopper. Not very popular as it likes to eat our plants and crops. This photo is 2 photos, same image layered in together.

Locust in garden Nairobi by philip Gate Keeper, on Flickr
                                All the best

Phil

Comment

Working...
                                X