• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Communal Dragonfly, Butterfly and Insect photo thread

Two from today.

Brimstone sitting low out of the wind.

Comma eating over ripe fruit which they prefer

Regards. Barr1e
    Just like that - gone in a flash! Now in use.

Comment

Originally posted by Barr1e View Post

Comma eating over ripe fruit which they prefer

Regards. Barr1e
      A lovely Comma Barrie, it is great to see them ready for winter in such wonderful condition.

I saw a beauty yesterday too.

Comma sunbathing
      Peter (Art Frames)

You can see some of my things on Flickr

Comment

Here's a slightly sharpened version of the highest crop dragonfly shot in my other cropping thread. Taken with the 40-150 pro plus 1.4TC as recommended Peter.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/flip_photo_flickr/

Comment

Originally posted by Phill D View Post
          Here's a slightly sharpened version of the highest crop dragonfly shot in my other cropping thread. Taken with the 40-150 pro plus 1.4TC as recommended Peter.

I just skipped over to see the full range and agree it is stunning lens when it is right. And a 100% crop is very possible. I wish I had the extra mega pixels that you have now too.

Dragonflies tend to allow you more latitude than butterflies for missing the point of focus in my experience. It is about the planes of focus and anatomies, dragons tend to sit in a flat posture. With butterflies the crop tends to show where you miss eye focus and have got the abdomen instead - for example.

But it is my top choice lens although the comma above is the Panasonic 14-140 which is good/very good but not so crop..worthy.
          Peter (Art Frames)

You can see some of my things on Flickr

Comment

Tiny Weevil Cionus tuberculosus on Buddleia Flowers

This one was photographed in July. For a weevil, it walked around rather fast and I was surprised when it finally stood still, permitting a stereo pair.

EM-1 (aperture priority), Olympus 4/3 x2 TC, Olympus 4/3 50mm f2 macro, Raynox MSN-202, at f11, 1/20, 1/20 & 1/60 second at f13, ISO 800, sunlight, hand-held.

The stereo is crosseye. The first image is cropped.

Harold

The body is willing but the mind is weak.

Comment

Lovely stereo capture as always.
              Kept finding myself rising off the chair trying to look over the flower in the foreground

Comment

Originally posted by Keith-369 View Post
                Lovely stereo capture as always.
                Kept finding myself rising off the chair trying to look over the flower in the foreground
                Thanks. I can't remember what the options were for angle of view but the alternatives may have been even less comfortable to view.

Harold

Comment

Fly Me.................

Comment

Common Wasps on Ivy Flowers

My wife reported seeing Ivy Bees on our ivy flowers. I went out with my camera but saw no bees. However, there were wasps. The flowers, on the top of a high wall, were rather sparse and at various distances. I was obliged to hang on to the top of a ladder with one hand, holding the camera with the other.

Olympus EM-1, Olympus 4/3 x2TC, Olympus 4/3 50mm f2 Macro, f11, single flash.

Harold

Comment

While I was out shooting at St Bees beach yesterday I spotted some springtails so I went back to shoot them . I have seen these before not had the righ kit to shoot them so I set in search of them today. Here are the first couple of shots I had time to process.
                      These are Anurida maritima which are marine collembola.

I think the white blob of the first shot is one shedding its skin.

Anurida maritima 1 by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Anurida maritima 2 by Alf Branch, on Flickr

What do you think?
                      OMD E-M1 OMD E-M5II MMF3 12-40 pro 12-50 EZ 14-42 EZ 9-18 f4.0 -5.6 40 -150f4-f5.6 R 60mm f2.8 macro Sigma 105 f2.8 macro Holga 60mm plastic Holga pinhole lens lens and a XZ-1 Olympus - 35 SP Trip 35 Pen EEs OM2sp

I nice view does not mean a good photograph. My FLickr

Comment

Originally posted by alfbranch View Post
                        While I was out shooting at St Bees beach yesterday I spotted some springtails so I went back to shoot them . I have seen these before not had the righ kit to shoot them so I set in search of them today. Here are the first couple of shots I had time to process.

What do you think?
                        The white blob is a shed skin.

I think shore-line is more accurate than marine.

Harold

Comment

Originally posted by Harold Gough View Post
                          The white blob is a shed skin.

I think shore-line is more accurate than marine.

Harold
                          Thanks Harold
                          I know what you mean about shore but the specimens I have seen have been well into the tidal area and well below high water. Maybe they are just the one fluched out into the open.
                          OMD E-M1 OMD E-M5II MMF3 12-40 pro 12-50 EZ 14-42 EZ 9-18 f4.0 -5.6 40 -150f4-f5.6 R 60mm f2.8 macro Sigma 105 f2.8 macro Holga 60mm plastic Holga pinhole lens lens and a XZ-1 Olympus - 35 SP Trip 35 Pen EEs OM2sp

Comment

Thanks Harold
                            I know what you mean about shore but the specimens I have seen have been well into the tidal area and well below high water. Maybe they are just the one fluched out into the open.
                            Yes, they have been recorded some distance out but food would be an issue out there.

Harold

Comment

Here are some more collembola shots from the trip to the beach

Anurida maritima 3 by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Anurida maritima 4-54 by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Anurida maritima 5 by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Comment

What do you think?
                                Amazing, very nice shots!
                                Stuff from Cuba
                                More stuff from Cuba
                                It all started here

Comment

Working...
                                X