X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Communal Bird Photography Thread

Hi Guys,

Been going through my files on the PC and picked these two from back in the spring you don't often see these in my area much but found these two while on my travels, now getting very scarce in the UK in general, also can be quite a secretive species the European Cuckoo.

The male is first and the second shows a Meadow Pipit giving the female some grief.

These were taken with another camera brand so can be deleted by mods if needed, just wanting to show something that is not often seen.

Many Thanks,

Thomas.

Comment

Originally posted by Olybirder View Post
      What lovely, natural colours and it is unusual to see the tail splayed out like that. Excellent shots of a beautiful bird Thomas.

Ron
      Just what I was thinking.
      It's the image that's important, not the tools used to make it.

David M's Photoblog

Comment

Here a Common Tern about to dive, picture taken quite a few years ago with the Skywatcher ED80 scope and E-M5.

My Gallery on 500px

Comment

Nice body position, it looks as if it's changing target mid dive.

David M's Photoblog

Comment

Originally posted by Tordan58 View Post
            Here a Common Tern about to dive, picture taken quite a few years ago with the Skywatcher ED80 scope and E-M5.

Strangely enough, having spent a lot of the Christmas break processing more of the slides I copied last winter this morning I got to some Common Tern shots from Saskatchewan in the 90's. I spent some time photographing one fishing to the point it got so comfortable around me it landed on a fence post close to me and proceeded to start preening.

Once I'd got enough shots I walked over to my truck to break into it, having locked the keys in it when I arrived. Just as I was about to slide a piece of wire down the door window two coach loads of birders arrive. They're all watching me break into a pickup truck parked in the middle of nowhere, miles from the nearest house or farm. Anyway, they all get of the coaches to start birding and I overhear the tour leader point out a Forster's Tern. It was the Common Tern I'd spent an hour with. I didn't bother correcting him so there could be some North American birders with Forster's Tern on their list that was actually a Common Tern.

David M's Photoblog

Comment

Originally posted by Beagletorque View Post
              Any ideas for this? Spotted near Wolverton. May be suffering with Trichomonosis. Heavy crop with the 300f4+1.4x

Possible Twite?
              I'd forgotten about this shot until I went back to editing slide copies over the Christmas break. A Linnet from Cheshire in the 80's.

David M's Photoblog

Comment

It looks like the same bird to me David. Funny it hasn't moved in thirty plus years.

Ron

Comment

A nice encounter from Boxing Day. It was windy to say the least with a storm building up.

My Gallery on 500px

Comment

Originally posted by Olybirder View Post
                    It looks like the same bird to me David. Funny it hasn't moved in thirty plus years.

Ron
                    That's what I was thinking, apart from the colour on the head in the other photo which is sort of 'curry' coloured which points towards Twite. I think it's one of those that will never be decided.

David M's Photoblog

Comment

• A few from Wicken Fen today

A Snow Goose hiding...

A Barn Owl hunting (it had been arguing with a short eared owl)

Radio controlled Short Eared Owl

Even a Mallard looks glamorous in the right light!

Reed Bunting having afternoon tea...

Ice skating pied wagtails (which were posing at each other)

Paul

I didn’t get where I am today....

Comment

It's not very often that waxwings make it as far as the west end of Galloway, so I tried to take full advantage of their visit, (although my wife seemed to think that taking over 400 photos was going overboard a bit.)
                        These are a few shots from yesterday, all with the EM1, 300mm f4 and 1.4TC, handheld.

Waxwing by DavidMB2006, on Flickr

David

Comment

Gorgeous set. I don't think 400 is excessive with waxwings!
                          I'm still waiting to see wax wings in our area.

Comment

A nice set, I hope you checked for a Cedar Waxwing in with them.

David M's Photoblog

Comment

Originally posted by Eclairewilliams View Post
                              Gorgeous set. I don't think 400 is excessive with waxwings!
                              That's exactly what I told her!

Originally posted by David M View Post
                              A nice set, I hope you checked for a Cedar Waxwing in with them.

Oh no. Now I'm going to have to wade through 400+ photos examining every bird in each one of them.
                              David

Comment

A few more flight shots from the EM10MK11
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X