Waterfall - long exposure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waterfall - long exposure

I recently bought a variable ND filter and tried it out on this waterfall in the Yorkshire Dales. This is a 15 second exposure, E-M5 with ZD 12-60 on a tripod. I used MF with a x5 magnification which I find the best way to use ZD lenses for this sort of subject. The fact that the EVF image doesn't dim as you dial in extra ND is great .

This is Cray Gill, one of my favourite spots. There's a 15' drop from the camera position into the plunge pool and the ground is slippery, so you have to keep your wits about you !
    Regards
    Richard

Re: Waterfall - long exposure

what a lovely spot
    E, Pen and OM-D bodies
    43 m43 and legacy glass
    loads of flashes and accessories from all the systems

Comment

The method works well and I think you have got just the effect you wanted.

David
      PBase Galleries:-http://www.pbase.com/davidmorisonimages

Comment

Nice image. However, you have to be careful with your exposure times for waterfalls. Too long and you get a loss of detail and swaithes of white water. I went up to the Brecon Beacons last January to do this sort of thing and in most cases my exposures were far too long and hence the images weren't so good as they could have been. You live and learn!
        I am surprised that so much detail has been retained in your 15 second exposure.
        Dave

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, HLD-9, 17, 25, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac, Manfrotto, and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge

Comment

Thanks guys . Yes, the "correct" exposure time for waterfalls is tricky as a lot depends on the individual fall. In the past I've generally used between 1/4 and 1/15 second which is usually a good compromise between detail loss and motion stop but I was pleased with this result. I tried other exposure times but settled on that one. This one is a 1/5 sec exposure but I don't like it as much.

Regards
          Richard

Comment

That is a very effective image Richard. You have captured the moving water perfectly.

Ron

Comment

I must admit I prefere the last image Richard. Both well captured and thanks for sharing.
              Conor.
              Ever wondered what happens the dark when the light is switched on?

Comment

Must say I too prefer the last image, but they are both effective. Has your filter got indications on the amount of ND you are dialling in? What make is it?
                Stephen

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site

Comment

For me, the second image is better in terms of preserving detail. But this is of course very subjective.
                  Brian

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Comment

It's one of these:
                    http://srb-griturn.co.uk/variable-ne...dox-1068-c.asp

It does have graduations on it but they are not specified in terms of stops or filter factor. It doesn't make any pretensions to professional quality but like all SRB products it's well made and quite good value. I went for the 77mm one to suit my 12-60, however that's probably going to look a bit silly on the 12-50 .

I agree the second image shows better detail but for me the first has more atmosphere. My father used to hate anything longer than about 1/250 for waterfalls, he wanted them frozen!
                    Regards
                    Richard

Comment

Lurve them both ! great skill
                      [I].
                      I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
                      Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album

Comment

I'm in the "second shot" group as well. Nice.
                        Cameras: E-M5, E-PM2, OM40, OM4Ti
                        Lenses (M.Zuiko Digital): 7-14mm/F2.8, 12-40mm/F2.8, 40-150mm/F2.8+TC1.4x, 12-50mm/F3.5-6.3, 14-42mm/F3.5-5.6 EZ, M.ZD 40-150 F4-5.6 R, 75-300mm/F4.8-6.7 Mk1, 12mm/F2, 17mm/F1.8
                        Lenses (OM Zuiko): 50mm/F1.2, 24mm/F2, 35mm/F2.8 shift
                        Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
                        Learn something new every day

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        Scroll To Top Scroll To Center Scroll To Bottom