Bird ID please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bird ID please

There were three of these spiralling around outside earlier.

Any ID appreciated

hearts at peace under an English heaven

Re: Bird ID please

Hello Sponner,
    I think it is a common Buzzard adult going through a bit of a moult hence the uneven patterns. Have you any shots taken from directly underneath to show the silouhette? That's my best guess, Peterbirder is probably the best man to ask!
    Regards Jim.

Comment

thnaks Jim, that was my guess

Comment

I used to see Buzzards spiralling at this time of year on the farm, usually they were last years chicks still together before they split up looking for mates. Your one could be moulting the last of it's juvenile plumage to full adult which has the solid bar round the trailing edge of the wing. The breast plumage on yours looks midway between juvenile and adult, somebody else may be able to confirm that.

Comment

Buteo buteo.
          It's the image that's important, not the tools used to make it.

David M's Photoblog

Comment

Originally posted by Bluegrass Jim View Post
            I used to see Buzzards spiralling at this time of year on the farm, usually they were last years chicks still together before they split up looking for mates. Your one could be moulting the last of it's juvenile plumage to full adult which has the solid bar round the trailing edge of the wing. The breast plumage on yours looks midway between juvenile and adult, somebody else may be able to confirm that.
            I agree Jim, a "nearly adult" Common Buzzard Buteo buteo. The short, broad neck is another identifying feature.

Regards.
            Peter

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
            OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
            Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.

Comment

thanks folks, not often I manage to snap a bird capable of being identified !

Comment

Working...
              X