It's PeterD's Fault!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's PeterD's Fault!

It's all PeterD's Fault. In his recent thread "70-300 Lens For Macro" Peter mentioned that he uses a Sigma Achromatic lens attached to his 70-300 for high magnification macro shots. That stirred a memory. Somewhere I had a high quality, but little used, Nikon (sorry to swear) Achromatic and I have recently purchased a 70-300. I found the lens easy enough but it took me hours to find the required step-up ring which I knew I also had somewhere) to fit it to the 70-300.

Anyway, here's a few from my first session. Peter, you didn't mention that it's not as easy as you (and others on the forum) make it look! None of these is perfectly sharp, or sharp in the right place, but I did learn a bit about the new subjects for my lens. First, some of the zoological names:-

Well, I tried to photograph lots of B****roffandseeificare.

There were lots of Whatwasthat

And numerous Neveridle

The main species were Tooquickforme

And there were even a few Whoahnottooclose

At least the Honeysuckle stayed (reasonably) still for me.

Flowers don't move much in a gentle breeze, do they?

Another "If Only" shot. If only the bee had been in focus!

Don't the little blighters fidget when they're hovvering?

At last one took a rest for two seconds!

It's clear from these first few I've taken that need to put in a huge amount of work and practice, but Thank you Peter for reminding me what kit I'd already got, highlighting the potential of the 70-300 for macro and inspiring me to get out in the garden!
    John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Re: It's PeterD's Fault!

John,

First of all an apology - it is not easy It takes quite a bit of practise on two counts - controlling dof and focus range. Having said that, I like the images you have produced.

I tried to 40-150 lens first and got reasonable results but with the 70-300 I achieved much greater flexibility.

I have been sitting out in the wings for far too long and it was for this reason that I started to post pictures again. After all, a picture is worth a thousand words.

Keep at it John, as I am doing, there is a lot to learn but already you have seen the promise of things to come with a budget solution to create Macros.

Good luck

Peter
    Best Regards

PeterD

www.imageinuk.com/

Comment

Originally posted by PeterD View Post
      John,

First of all an apology - it is not easy It takes quite a bit of practise on two counts - controlling dof and focus range. Having said that, I like the images you have produced.

I tried to 40-150 lens first and got reasonable results but with the 70-300 I achieved much greater flexibility.

I have been sitting out in the wings for far too long and it was for this reason that I started to post pictures again. After all, a picture is worth a thousand words.

Keep at it John, as I am doing, there is a lot to learn but already you have seen the promise of things to come with a budget solution to create Macros.

Good luck

Peter
      Thanks Peter,

And I think I speak for all when I say it's good to have you posting pictures again!
      John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

Originally posted by Zuiko View Post
        Thanks Peter,

And I think I speak for all when I say it's good to have you posting pictures again!
        Thank you John. That means a lot to me and its good to be back amongst friends.

Peter
        Best Regards

PeterD

www.imageinuk.com/

Comment

Dear John.......

I really like the last one.

Regards. Barr1e
          Just like that - gone in a flash! Now in use.

Comment

Hi John

No4 looks fantastic, the dof looks absulotely spot on and has produced a very clear subject, great capture.

Neil

Comment

Originally posted by ndl0071 View Post
              Hi John

No4 looks fantastic, the dof looks absulotely spot on and has produced a very clear subject, great capture.

Neil
              I am more impressed with No3. This displays Johns skill very well. They rarely hover in the same place for long. Knowing how difficult it is to achieve focus within the focus range when the AML is fitted, its very good. The wings will always remain out of focus because of the wing beats and the shutter speed achievable.

Peter
              Best Regards

PeterD

www.imageinuk.com/

Comment

Thanks Barrie, Neil and Peter for your kind comments. Now that I've discovered this application for the lens, thanks to Peter, I'll be putting in plenty of practice. The way those little blighters move, I need it!
                John

Comment

Originally posted by Zuiko View Post
                  Thanks Barrie, Neil and Peter for your kind comments. Now that I've discovered this application for the lens, thanks to Peter, I'll be putting in plenty of practice. The way those little blighters move, I need it!
                  Good luck John and do not forget to post your results

Peter
                  Best Regards

PeterD

www.imageinuk.com/

Comment

John

You are already doing well

I like the oof bee and the crisp sharp flowers, If you could do that with a bit more of the flower that would be a really great shot.

Nick
                    Nick Temple-Fry

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
                    www.temple-fry.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                    X