Hoverflies Galore!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hoverflies Galore!

The garden was full of hoverlies today, I have never seen so many all at once.
    For some reason the darker ones were more skittish and harder to approach.

Olympus E-PL3 and the m40-150mm fiitted with a close up filter, raw processed in CO6 Pro.

Regards Paul.
    One day I hope to be the person my dogs think I am.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/paul_silk/

Re: Hoverflies Galore!

Excellent series of shots - my only minor gripe is the wee bit of noise creeping in to the first one, but thats a personal issue with me and noise grrr! lol

Lovely compositions - makes a change from my usual shots of close up compound eyes and no environment - you;ve got the flower the hoverfly, the lot.
    Olympus E-5 / E-620(hld5) / E-410 with Zuiko's : 14-42mm f5.6 | 40-150mm f5.6 | 70-300mm f4 | 35mm Macro f3.5 | Sigma 50-500mm | Sigma 105mm Macro | FL-36r
    Macbook 2ghz/4gb/120gb/13.3"
    Lightroom/Photoshop CS5/Photomatix Pro 3.0
    www.dgpix.org.uk
    My Flickr

Comment

An excellent series of shots Paul

Takes hoverfly pics to another level when you do it
      My Flickr Home Page

Comment

Great shots Paul, especially the last one... the colours offset perfectly!
        GX7, EP3, 9-18, 14-45, 45-150, 20 1.7, 25 1.4, 45 1.8, FL36 & various OM glass. flickr

Comment

Second one for me although they are all very good.
          Thanks
          Tim

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Comment

All good shots, and the last one for me has the best composition.
            Blackadder: "Allow me to be the first to offer Dr. Johnson my most sincere contrafibularities! I am anaspeptic, frasmotic, even compunctuous to have caused him such pericombobulation."

Comment

These are are a lovely set of hover fly photos Paul.

I've only seen small, slender hover flies where we are but while trying to get some bee & beefly shots, the slender hover flies were also there but this much larger one appeared briefly which resembles your first one fairly closely, so now I've seen one here afterall. Now to get photos of them.

Ross
              I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
              Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
              Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
              Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
              Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
              Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

Thank you for all the nice comments guys.

Strangley enough I find photographing insects easier with the Pen and added EVF and I get a greater keeper rate than I did with the FT DSLR's.
                Regards Paul.
                One day I hope to be the person my dogs think I am.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/paul_silk/

Comment

Originally posted by OlyPaul View Post
                  Thank you for all the nice comments guys.

Strangley enough I find photographing insects easier with the Pen and added EVF and I get a greater keeper rate than I did with the FT DSLR's.
                  Today I was using the Sigma 150 macro lens (+ EC14) on the E-M5 (with MF) & the delay that happens with that (it takes longer to close the aperture) is a bit too long, but then I put it back on the E30 & I actually got a reasonable shot with AF (adjusting MF close to it) of one of our small hover flies in mid flight, so the E30 with that lens is better for me (with flash though) & hopefully I might be able to get the 60mm M4/3's lens when it finally becomes available for fast AF on the E-M5. I'm still glad to be able to use either camera.
                  Ross
                  I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
                  Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
                  Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
                  Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
                  Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
                  Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

Working...
                  X