Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Peregrine Falcons

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Peregrine Falcons

    Thought I would update you on the Peregrine Falcons. The birds have settled now and I believe the clutch of eggs have now been laid. The sequence below was taken over more than one day but I have put them together to compile the story so far.

    With the contractors out of the way, both birds perched on the pylons. Here is the male.



    and the female.



    The size difference is very noticeable. The female being about 1/3 bigger than the male. This is more apparent in a later image in this series.
    When the female is hungry, she calls out and the male calls out in reply. He then dutifully flies off in search of birds to feed the female. This happens both on the pylon and at the nest site.

    The female flies over to the nest site and waits.



    The male returns with prey in his talons and calls out.



    The female responds.



    The male then flies to the nest site.



    drops off he prey and flies back to the pylon.



    I think she is saying thank you as the male flies off

    Comments etc welcome as always.
    Best Regards

    PeterD

    www.imageinuk.com/

  • #2
    Re: Peregrine Falcons

    A very nice series Peter, I'm very jealous. I only manage to get distant views through the scope of the Peregrines around our reservoir.

    Thanks for sharing.
    Peter

    she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

    E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
    OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
    Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Peregrine Falcons

      Amazing..........can't wait for the next instalment.
      keith
      Keith


      http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]

      E500,E510 now dead,E520 (now retired),E600 and Grip,14-42,14-45,2x40-150,Sigmas 105 and 135-400 Now Dead..ex 25. Manfrotto 190. Plus lots of OM stuff.
      Now also 4 items from the dark side...........

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Peregrine Falcons

        Stunning images Peter. You are very lucky to be able to view the nest area to photograph, our local Peregrines are nesting high on a church tower and can only be viewed through a dedicated video link!

        David
        PBase Galleries:-http://www.pbase.com/davidmorisonimages

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Peregrine Falcons

          Originally posted by PETERBIRDER View Post
          A very nice series Peter, I'm very jealous. I only manage to get distant views through the scope of the Peregrines around our reservoir.

          Thanks for sharing.
          Hi Peter

          Thanks for your comments. There are very few places around the South Coast that you can see these birds at their nest site. This pair made their home here about 4 years ago and continue to return each year.
          Best Regards

          PeterD

          www.imageinuk.com/

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Peregrine Falcons

            Originally posted by ringneck View Post
            Amazing..........can't wait for the next instalment.
            keith
            Thanks Keith. I shall try a video out when things get even more interesting and the young have hatched.
            Best Regards

            PeterD

            www.imageinuk.com/

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Peregrine Falcons

              Originally posted by David Morison View Post
              Stunning images Peter. You are very lucky to be able to view the nest area to photograph, our local Peregrines are nesting high on a church tower and can only be viewed through a dedicated video link!

              David
              Thanks David. The next nearest site for us is Chichester cathedral. Not any where near as accessible for photography as this one.
              Best Regards

              PeterD

              www.imageinuk.com/

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Peregrine Falcons

                These are not only superb shots, they are also weaved into beautiful story.

                There are peregrines around where I live but the precise location of the nest is a well preserved(?) secret, presumably somewhere along the , 50 meters above water surface...

                /Tord

                My Gallery on 500px

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Peregrine Falcons

                  Ours nest in the belfry of City Hall. They've been back four or five years running, so hopefully I'll get a few shots this year...but as others have said, I doubt I'll get anything as good as these.
                  Ceri Vale
                  (www.vale-images.co.uk)

                  (Latest Work)

                  Equipment - Olympus stuff - 'nuff said

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Peregrine Falcons

                    Originally posted by Tordan58 View Post
                    These are not only superb shots, they are also weaved into beautiful story.

                    There are peregrines around where I live but the precise location of the nest is a well preserved(?) secret, presumably somewhere along the , 50 meters above water surface...

                    /Tord
                    Thank you for your very nice comments. In the UK, these birds are protected under schedule 1 of the Wildlife act. Normally the sites are in pretty inaccessible places and in all cases are protected. The local residents have adopted these birds and add to the protection measures already afforded by keeping a watchful eye on them. My ethos is always to try and not disturb wildlife - I share the moment in an image and we part. All photographs are taken from public places where these birds have learnt to accept the passage of people as not to be a threat.

                    Originally posted by CallaWolf View Post
                    Ours nest in the belfry of City Hall. They've been back four or five years running, so hopefully I'll get a few shots this year...but as others have said, I doubt I'll get anything as good as these.
                    Thanks for your welcome comments.
                    I do have the advantage of the reach from the Bigma but I hope that you do manage to get some really good shots of these beautiful birds. I spend some time to get to know the fauna I photograph. This gives me the added advantage of being able to predict events.
                    Best Regards

                    PeterD

                    www.imageinuk.com/

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Peregrine Falcons

                      Very nice pictures Peter. We had 2 in the City near to where I live for a couple of years, but they seem to have disappeared from the tall office block they used to occupy, and close photography was forbidden as it was a Crown building.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Peregrine Falcons

                        Super thanks for the update await next installment.
                        Ed

                        Live life in the slow lane.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Peregrine Falcons

                          Originally posted by JackBenedict View Post
                          Very nice pictures Peter. We had 2 in the City near to where I live for a couple of years, but they seem to have disappeared from the tall office block they used to occupy, and close photography was forbidden as it was a Crown building.
                          Originally posted by Wee man View Post
                          Super thanks for the update await next installment.
                          Thank you for your comments Phil and Ed.
                          Best Regards

                          PeterD

                          www.imageinuk.com/

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Peregrine Falcons

                            I'll sing with the choir! Beautifully shot, and well presented! Thank you for letting us see them!
                            -----------
                            Cathrine

                            sigpic

                            My photoblog: http://csspikkerud.zenfolio.com/blog
                            My gallery: http://csspikkerud.zenfolio.com/

                            My book on Viovio

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Peregrine Falcons

                              I am singing too Great shots Peter and very nicely put together.

                              Greg
                              My Flickr Home Page

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X