28 Jan - Oysterbeds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 28 Jan - Oysterbeds

It was a very cold day, +1C with a sharp, biting easterly wind that pushed the temperature down to about -5C. I wrapped up well and took a walk around the Oysterbed site.

As we know, the E5 is a metal bodied camera and it was so cold that the heat was sucked out from my hands. Leather gloves were the order of the day.

I enjoyed the walk and I shall share some of the birds that I saw.

The Kestrel

When I arrived on site, I saw the Kestrel in the field that separates the Hayling Billy Trail and the Oysterbeds.

The bird was resting between hunting. Still very much alert though to what was around it.

Feeling the need for more food, the Kestrel took off again and used the headwind to allow it to hover over an area it had seen movement.

I watched it hunting for several minutes then it was off, flying away from me and diving like a stone. I followed it to see if it had caught prey and sure enough, it had caught a rodent which it took to a tree-top.

Disturbed on seeing me approach, it took off again carrying the rodent, to a quiet spot to feed.

To be continued.......
    Best Regards

PeterD

www.imageinuk.com/

Re: 28 Jan - Oysterbeds

Very nice capture and shots Peter

Well done

Nick
    Nick Temple-Fry

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
    www.temple-fry.co.uk

Comment

Re: 28 Jan - Oysterbeds Continued

Walking along the Hayling Billy Trail, a mixed flock of Blue and long tailed tits were foraging in the shrubbery. At this time of the year, it is quite normal for this mixture of birds to be hunting together. They move very swiftly from branch to branch and it can be quite a challenge to capture images of them.
      Both of these birds are very small. About 3/4 the size of a sparrow.

Long-tailed Tit

Blue Tit

Another mixed flock of Goldfinch and Chaffinch were also feeding in the shrubs along the path.

Female Chaffinch

Goldfinch

To be continued......
      Best Regards

PeterD

www.imageinuk.com/

Comment

Re: 28 Jan - Oysterbeds Continued

At the time of my walk, the tide was out and therefore few birds were at the lagoon area of the Oysterbeds.

Brent Goose

A group of four Brent geese were swimming in the lagoon. One of which is in the image below.

These birds are migrants and spend the winter months in Langstone Harbour. Their summer quarters are in Iceland, Scandinavia and Northern Russia.

Oystercatchers

I woke this bird from its slumbers on the sheltered side of South Island in the Oysterbed lagoon.

These birds are largely resident in the harbour all year. Their numbers swell in the winter months with visitors. Two pairs of these bred on the oysterbed islands last year with one pair successfully fledging two chicks. Unlike most birds, the juveniles will stay with their parents for 6-8 months after fledging.

Well, I hope you enjoy the images. I saw many more birds but thought these would have been of particular interest to you.

Comments etc welcome as always.
        Best Regards

PeterD

www.imageinuk.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Temple-Fry View Post
          Very nice capture and shots Peter

Well done

Nick
          Thank you Nick
          Best Regards

PeterD

www.imageinuk.com/

Comment

Some excellent shots here, especially of the kestrel which is a difficult bird to approach. Can I ask what lens you used and whether any cropping was involved?

Thanks

David
            PBase Galleries:-http://www.pbase.com/davidmorisonimages

Comment

Originally posted by David Morison View Post
              Some excellent shots here, especially of the kestrel which is a difficult bird to approach. Can I ask what lens you used and whether any cropping was involved?

Thanks

David
              Hi David

Thanks for your comments
              I was using the E5+Sigma 50-500, mainly at f7.1.

Yes, I have had to do some cropping in these to remove the distractions when photographing birds in the bushes and also the shots of the Kestrel with prey. The bird was some distance from me and I could not risk getting too close before it flew off.
              Best Regards

PeterD

www.imageinuk.com/

Comment

I'm pleased you braved the icy conditions.

Wonderful series - so much to see. All images worthy of comment.

Regards. Barr1e
                Just like that - gone in a flash! Now in use.

Comment

Originally posted by Barr1e View Post
                  I'm pleased you braved the icy conditions.

Wonderful series - so much to see. All images worthy of comment.

Regards. Barr1e
                  Thank you Barr1e. It was great to get out and take photographs again
                  Best Regards

PeterD

www.imageinuk.com/

Comment

Having congratulated Peter earlier I do have concerns about the peculiar colour cast to the sky showing in most of these pictures.

I must conclude that this uniform blue colour is a disturbing feature of the E-5 and represents a signifigant failure to represent the necessary variety in shades of grey which far more truthfully represent the sky in January.

Nick
                    Nick Temple-Fry

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
                    www.temple-fry.co.uk

Comment

Having congratulated Peter earlier I do have concerns about the peculiar colour cast to the sky showing in most of these pictures.

I must conclude that this uniform blue colour is a disturbing feature of the E-5 and represents a signifigant failure to represent the necessary variety in shades of grey which far more truthfully represent the sky in January.

Nick
                      I think that this is a problem with the Sigma 50-500 and not the E5.I always seem to have to correct the colour cast when I use mine,apart from that it's a very good lens when you have enough light to stop it down a little.

Well done Peter nice pictures.
                      All the best

Being left handed my brain sometimes works sdrawkcab

Andy

Lots of cameras and lenses.

My Flickr

Comment

Nick
                        Thanks Nick for your comment regarding the sky colour. I too have been concerned that the auto WB may not be as good as the E3. I think I have read something about this in another forum and I have on occasion selected manual WB for this reason. I wonder if Ian has got any information on this?

Originally posted by andym View Post
                        I think that this is a problem with the Sigma 50-500 and not the E5.I always seem to have to correct the colour cast when I use mine,apart from that it's a very good lens when you have enough light to stop it down a little.

Well done Peter nice pictures.
                        Thank you Andy for your reply to Nick and also your kind comments. I am no expert on images and wonder if either Nick or yourself can suggest a test I can carry out? I would hope that any problem that might exist could be corrected in firmware.

PS It was a clear day down here when the shoot took place.
                        Last edited by PeterD; 29th January 2011, 06:16 PM. Reason: Added PS
                        Best Regards

PeterD

www.imageinuk.com/

Comment

Some great shots of the Kestrel but I really like the inverted Blue Tit.
                          Ed

Live life in the slow lane.

Comment

Thanks Ed

The Blue tits and long-tailed tits just happened to be going my way. Just as well because they were flying from one branch to the next at a fast rate. I needed as many opportunities to get images as I could.
                            Best Regards

PeterD

www.imageinuk.com/

Comment

Originally posted by PeterD View Post
                              Thanks Nick for your comment regarding the sky colour. I too have been concerned that the auto WB may not be as good as the E3. I think I have read something about this in another forum and I have on occasion selected manual WB for this reason. I wonder if Ian has got any information on this?

Thank you Andy for your reply to Nick and also your kind comments. I am no expert on images and wonder if either Nick or yourself can suggest a test I can carry out? I would hope that any problem that might exist could be corrected in firmware.

PS It was a clear day down here when the shoot took place.
                              Not quite sure if you both realised it was just an attempt at a funny comment on the sky being blue, here in Swindon, even on days the BBC are convinced are sunny we seldom achieve anything other than a lighter shade of grey.

Sorry

Nick
                              Nick Temple-Fry

www.temple-fry.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                              X