X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Technician
    replied
    Re: First Go At Bugs

Thanks for the excellent advice which I will certainly take on-board, and I will look into maybe getting a EX25

Leave a comment:

• ringneck
    replied

Originally posted by PeterD View Post
    Hi Michael,

Sorry for the late reply but I was on duty at the Oysterbed site.

I am impressed with your first efforts esp. the fly. I know the kit lenses are really superb as your images demonstrate.

Things which might help you improve further are as follows:

1. The exposure compensation needs to be brought down in the case of the spiders as the images are over-exposed in a number of places and the detail has been lost there. Take a test shot then check the curves and adjust the compensation to suit. Always start with -1/3 stop and take it from there.
    2. As Keith has said, your aperture setting is too wide. This is not too much of an issue with the lens you are using but would be a disaster with an achromatic (macro) lens. Stick with f8 or f10 if you can. I use f20 for my macro lens.
    3. Use C-AF when taking these shots. This will compensate for subject/camera movement as final focus takes place when the shutter is fully depressed and not locked on a half press.
    4. Sometimes the use of flash helps. Sure, it gives you a lower shutter speed but does allow you to go for a smaller aperture improving dof. The camera will do all the work getting the exposure right.

Michael, as I said before, your first attempts have been very good and much better than I achieved with a similar setup in the past. I offer my comments above, not as a criticism but as a genuine desire to help you improve further.
    FANTASTIC ADVICE...for all of us.
    Keith

Leave a comment:

• PeterD
    replied

Hi Michael,

Sorry for the late reply but I was on duty at the Oysterbed site.

I am impressed with your first efforts esp. the fly. I know the kit lenses are really superb as your images demonstrate.

Things which might help you improve further are as follows:

1. The exposure compensation needs to be brought down in the case of the spiders as the images are over-exposed in a number of places and the detail has been lost there. Take a test shot then check the curves and adjust the compensation to suit. Always start with -1/3 stop and take it from there.
    2. As Keith has said, your aperture setting is too wide. This is not too much of an issue with the lens you are using but would be a disaster with an achromatic (macro) lens. Stick with f8 or f10 if you can. I use f20 for my macro lens.
    3. Use C-AF when taking these shots. This will compensate for subject/camera movement as final focus takes place when the shutter is fully depressed and not locked on a half press.
    4. Sometimes the use of flash helps. Sure, it gives you a lower shutter speed but does allow you to go for a smaller aperture improving dof. The camera will do all the work getting the exposure right.

Michael, as I said before, your first attempts have been very good and much better than I achieved with a similar setup in the past. I offer my comments above, not as a criticism but as a genuine desire to help you improve further.

Leave a comment:

• ringneck
    replied

Originally posted by The Technician View Post
    I used my e-510 with the 14-42mm kit lens set to 42mm on aperture priority mode set to f3.5
    Blimey.....42mm ...you must have got close or done a good crop.
    I would say f 3.5 was a bit too much ...no dof ...but good for b/g.
    If you had an Ex 25 you could use the 40-150 and get closer than normal...I used this combo for some time before getting the sigma 105.

Good 1st go though.
    Keith

Leave a comment:

• The Technician
    replied

I used my e-510 with the 14-42mm kit lens set to 42mm on aperture priority mode set to f3.5

Leave a comment:

• PeterD
    replied

Hi Michael

For first shots, they are good. What setup did you use?

Leave a comment:

• The Technician
    replied

I usually just resize the image to 800x600 pixels then upload them, I will try that in the future to see if that improves them

Leave a comment:

• Ian
    replied

These do look a little soft - do you routinely resharpen after sizing for the web? If you use Photoshop, try using Bicubic Sharper when resizing.

Ian

Leave a comment:

• Wee man
    replied

Like the fly ,nice little shot.

Leave a comment:

• The Technician
    started a topic First Go At Bugs

First Go At Bugs

Kicking my heels the other day so thought I would have a go at finding some bugs etc. in the garden to photograph so here is my results

Oh and I photographed some flowers as well

Working...
X