Keeping up.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keeping up.

I thought I was fairly computer literate having spent my whole working life in the industry but I have to say I am struggling with the quirks of the new forum. I don't want to be critical, I do understand the reasons for the update and the vast amount of hard work involved in making it happen. I know Ian is doing everything he can to help.

Things change and move on but I wish I could get back to a repeatable flow of steps to keep up to date.

My No 1 frustration is that I receive emails about new posts to threads I am subscribed to but, when I click on the link, I am taken to the beginning of the thread (which can be many pages deep) I then have to click on the filter to get today's posts and then scroll down to the latest one. Why? When I receive an email saying a thread has been updated why does the link not simply take me to the end where the latest post is. The old forum did this as do most of the others I am a member of. This lack of direct linking is putting me off, the flow of a thread has gone.

Maybe it's my age? Something is missing and I think I will give posting on here a rest. And yes I know some might be pleased about that

Dave

My Flickr

Dave, I for one won't be pleased if you cease posting. I actually share your feelings relating to the new update and have to say it's not as user friendly as I first thought. It does provide easier photo posting and more features than the original but is seems this has come at a cost. Maybe it's just a matter of persevering but I do find it very awkward and somewhat confusing in many respects.

Can I suggest you keep trying till New Year and maybe it will get better as Ian has time to fine tune and sort out some of the bugs

Jax

Comment

Originally posted by wornish View Post
      I thought I was fairly computer literate having spent my whole working life in the industry but I have to say I am struggling with the quirks of the new forum. I don't want to be critical, I do understand the reasons for the update and the vast amount of hard work involved in making it happen. I know Ian is doing everything he can to help.

Things change and move on but I wish I could get back to a repeatable flow of steps to keep up to date.

My No 1 frustration is that I receive emails about new posts to threads I am subscribed to but, when I click on the link, I am taken to the beginning of the thread (which can be many pages deep) I then have to click on the filter to get today's posts and then scroll down to the latest one. Why? When I receive an email saying a thread has been updated why does the link not simply take me to the end where the latest post is. The old forum did this as do most of the others I am a member of. This lack of direct linking is putting me off, the flow of a thread has gone.

Maybe it's my age? Something is missing and I think I will give posting on here a rest. And yes I know some might be pleased about that

I am sorry for the hiccups with the new forum - it's frustrating for me, too. The issue with notifications not going to the latest post is known about by the developers and should be fixed in the next release of the software in the new year.

I do also have a series of other enhancements in the pipeline.

Ian
      Founder and editor of:
      Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
      Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
      Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
      Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
      Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
      Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
      NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
      sigpic

Comment

Was not in a good mood last night. I will hang in on here for a while and see how things settle down.
        Dave

My Flickr

Comment

One of my ways to get to see the new posts first, is to have a link saved on my desktop that takes me straight to that page

https://e-group.uk.net/forum/search?...ssage%22%5D%7D

Then I only have to “click” on the “last post” button on the thread I want to look at...

Graham

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...

Comment

I'm feeling the same as Dave in terms of keeping up with things definitely not as easy as the old forum. Hopefully Ian will be able to sort things out in due course without too many headaches. I dont want email notifications but generally notifications on the site dont seem to work very well yet either.
            http://www.flickr.com/photos/flip_photo_flickr/

Comment

My personal wish is that rather than go to the latest post, it should go to the last read.

The other point I would like, it to have the order of posts go from oldest to newest in the "Latest Activity". Also on the latest Activity it seems to only show a cut down version of the posts. I don't see why it should not just go to where the full post and posters info, as when you scroll down the thread "normally".

Not a criticism, just my preferences...........
              Last edited by MJ224; 11th December 2019, 04:38 PM.

Comment

Completely understand how people feel. I’m a bit the same and miss certain features, possibly down to my quirky way of doing things, things got used to over years. I regularly used the varying timescales in the old ‘recent posts’ shortcut, maybe the ‘Todays posts’ will do although the occasions I miss a day or two might mean I miss stuff. Totally agree and a notification taking you to the last ‘read’ message. No point in it taking you to the beginning of the thread if you’ve already been there and read it. I do kinda take delight in picking holes in this sort of stuff, I mean it’s not like BBS software is new or anything, you’d think it would simply work ‘out of the box’ by now!!
                Really hope people don’t struggle so much they feel the need to move on though, that would be a great loss.

Comment

Originally posted by TimP View Post
                  Completely understand how people feel. I’m a bit the same and miss certain features, possibly down to my quirky way of doing things, things got used to over years. I regularly used the varying timescales in the old ‘recent posts’ shortcut, maybe the ‘Todays posts’ will do although the occasions I miss a day or two might mean I miss stuff. Totally agree and a notification taking you to the last ‘read’ message. No point in it taking you to the beginning of the thread if you’ve already been there and read it. I do kinda take delight in picking holes in this sort of stuff, I mean it’s not like BBS software is new or anything, you’d think it would simply work ‘out of the box’ by now!!
                  Really hope people don’t struggle so much they feel the need to move on though, that would be a great loss.
                  I totally agree with your comments. Given this update is probably not free and Ian has had to pay for it I was originally amazed there are so many problems experienced since Friday night. However, I have just looked at the vBulletin Site which gives details of how to install their update software and my brain froze within the first minute. It seems so hi-tech and complicated I wouldn't have got past square one.

We tend to think of forum updates being similar to program updates such as Photoshop etc. where, as you say, everything works out of the box, but, this is a totally different beast with numerous requirements for code knowledge and multiple options etc. I'm only glad it's Ian doing all this and not me

Jax

Comment

You can go to the "first new post" which would normally be the first unread one if you've been following the thread - click the tiny blue flag next to the thread title on the "Today's posts" or "Recent threads" screens. This behaviour is the same as the old forum as far as I can see. If you hover over the flag it will display "Go to first new post". This is on a desktop, not sure if it's the same on a phone or tablet. Features are gradually returning, I see the thread preview is back now (hover over the thread title to see it) which is a great time saver. We are of course all different and I personally never saw the need for a choice of timescales for new posts, I only ever used the "Get all new posts" option or, unless I'd been away, "Today's posts", but I appreciate that some would like that facility back .

Thanks for your continuing hard work Ian, it's much appreciated!
                    Regards
                    Richard

Comment

Originally posted by Jax View Post
                      We tend to think of forum updates being similar to program updates such as Photoshop etc. where, as you say, everything works out of the box
                      Unless it's a Windows update when you find things have been moved, some software deleted without notice (Epson scan being the most annoying example) and file associations changed! I drives me nuts when I double click on a photo only to get the wretched Windows Photos app instead of the old photo viewer which is far quicker and doesn't mess about trying to make unwanted albums all the time! Sorry Microsoft, but many of the built-in apps in Windows 10 are very poor imho, and a very backward step from older versions.

Regards
                      Richard

Comment

Originally posted by Otto View Post

Unless it's a Windows update when you find things have been moved, some software deleted without notice (Epson scan being the most annoying example) and file associations changed! I drives me nuts when I double click on a photo only to get the wretched Windows Photos app instead of the old photo viewer which is far quicker and doesn't mess about trying to make unwanted albums all the time! Sorry Microsoft, but many of the built-in apps in Windows 10 are very poor imho, and a very backward step from older versions.
                        I suppose when you consider some highly qualified clever software developers wrote a program that caused 2 horrendous aircraft disasters and every Boeing 737 MAX 8 on the planet to be grounded, Windows 10 updates moving files around seems quite insignificant. I share your concern though and do agree things like that shouldn't happen. Bugs like that should be identified and corrected during the process of product testing.

Jax

Comment

I would like to be able to control the Font sizes of the section headings and the text in the threads. Perhaps we can do it but I have not seen the way to do it.
                          This space for rent

Comment

Originally posted by DerekW View Post
                            I would like to be able to control the Font sizes of the section headings and the text in the threads. Perhaps we can do it but I have not seen the way to do it.
                            It's all in the header once you find the "A" for advanced button top right.
                            Stuff from Cuba
                            More stuff from Cuba
                            It all started here

Comment

Originally posted by TimP View Post
                              Completely understand how people feel. I’m a bit the same and miss certain features, possibly down to my quirky way of doing things, things got used to over years. I regularly used the varying timescales in the old ‘recent posts’ shortcut, maybe the ‘Todays posts’ will do although the occasions I miss a day or two might mean I miss stuff. ...
                              Click on either "New Topics" or "Today's Posts" and you will notice that the breadcrumb line (the line just under the menu line(s)) displays "Home (picture of house) > Advanced Search > Search Results".
                              Click on "Advanced Search"
                              Or just use the drop down from the search bar top right.
                              Select a "From" date (how many days back you wish to start from) and a "To" date (use today's date) and click "Search Now"
                              Voila... you have the show last N days of posts, albeit not quite as easy as the old software.
                              Things with posts you haven't read are in bold blue (light style) with the little blue circle with 2 down arrows to take you to the first unread post; things you have read are in light blue with no little circle.

Last edited by OM USer; 12th December 2019, 08:21 AM.
                              Cameras: E-M5, E-PM2, OM40, OM4Ti
                              Lenses (M.Zuiko Digital): 7-14mm/F2.8, 12-40mm/F2.8, 40-150mm/F2.8+TC1.4x, 12-50mm/F3.5-6.3, 14-42mm/F3.5-5.6 EZ, M.ZD 40-150 F4-5.6 R, 75-300mm/F4.8-6.7 Mk1, 12mm/F2, 17mm/F1.8
                              Lenses (OM Zuiko): 50mm/F1.2, 24mm/F2, 35mm/F2.8 shift
                              Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
                              Learn something new every day

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Scroll To Top Scroll To Center Scroll To Bottom