The Good Samaritan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Good Samaritan

Today, i fell into conversation with a guy in our local high street. We discussed the protesters we had just seen, they are (rightfully) trying to oust our local Tory MP. He mentioned that he had recently helped an elderly lady who had fallen. He took her to her nearby home and established that she would be spending Christmas Day on her own. He invited her to join himself, his wife and children on the day. The local church keeps an watch on the lady and insisted that they could not allow the lady to spend Christmas Day with a family. The lady lives just behind the church so apparently it was unable to get a parishioner to make sure that the old lady would be safe. I am in disbelief.

David
    The beauty of not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise and is not preceded by periods of anxiety

Re: The Good Samaritan

Maybe they thought that he was intending to have her for Christmas Dinner.... along with a nice Chianti...
    Paul

I didn’t get where I am today....

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy Dave View Post
      Today, i fell into conversation with a guy in our local high street. We discussed the protesters we had just seen, they are (rightfully) trying to oust our local Tory MP. He mentioned that he had recently helped an elderly lady who had fallen. He took her to her nearby home and established that she would be spending Christmas Day on her own. He invited her to join himself, his wife and children on the day. The local church keeps an watch on the lady and insisted that they could not allow the lady to spend Christmas Day with a family. The lady lives just behind the church so apparently it was unable to get a parishioner to make sure that the old lady would be safe. I am in disbelief.

David
      Nothing surprises me any more, but churches in particular are very careful about 'safeguarding' issues for both children and vulnerable adults.

I suspect the church's concern is that a 'vulnerable lady' could be persuaded to change her will or hand over her life savings to the family. Sadly such things have happened all too often in the past.
      ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
        Nothing surprises me any more, but churches in particular are very careful about 'safeguarding' issues for both children and vulnerable adults.
        Some churches are. Sadly recent events and revelations have proved children and vulnerable adults have been the subject of abuse by the very people supposed to be safeguarding them.

Jax

Comment

As a matter of interest, which denomination is this church?
          ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

The local church keeps an watch on the lady and insisted that they could not allow the lady to spend Christmas Day with a family.
            What do they mean "could not allow"? It's up to her where she spends Christmas Day - the church doesn't control her comings and goings!

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Ford View Post
              What do they mean "could not allow"? It's up to her where she spends Christmas Day - the church doesn't control her comings and goings!

Jim
              We don't know who it was from the church who said 'the lady could not spend Christmas Day with the Good Samaritan and his family'. 'Hitchen's Razor' comes to mind Jim.

If the lady was a regular member of the church, and was well known, a Minister or other officer (a Warden or Lay Reader for example) might consider that she could be at risk of exploitation. Some elderly people are known to hand over money to anyone and everyone after all. But ultimately it would be the lady's decision where she spends Christmas Day!

The reason I asked about the denomination is that I know a Methodist Minister is insufferable on safeguarding issues and allows no space for common sense. This is something that seems to have been handed down by Methodist High Command.
              ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
                As a matter of interest, which denomination is this church?
                The church is question is Baptist. I understand all the issues about the potential for exploitation of a vulnerable old person but do not know the level of supervision of the lady in question. Perhaps the church in question could have done much more, either way, the old lady was still spending Christmas on her own. She is still vulnerable whether or not she spent Christmas Day with a caring family but it feels like political correctness gone too far.

David
                The beauty of not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise and is not preceded by periods of anxiety

Comment

The church is question is Baptist. I understand all the issues about the potential for exploitation of a vulnerable old person but do not know the level of supervision of the lady in question. Perhaps the church in question could have done much more, either way, the old lady was still spending Christmas on her own. She is still vulnerable whether or not she spent Christmas Day with a caring family but it feels like political correctness gone too far.

David
                  I did wonder if that was the case Dave, hence my question. For some reason churches at the bottom of the candle (primarily Methodist and Baptist) tend to be obsessed with political correctness and are quite evangelical about it. Thankfully those at the opposite end of the spectrum still retain some common sense!
                  ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

A few years ago where I worked one of the employees was paid a visit by the police.
                    His laptop was placed in an evidence bag and he was arrested there and then.

Various rumours were circulated mainly concerning child abuse, probably because a big nationwide raid had just been undertaken.

Someone said, "I can't believe that, he goes to church every week"
                    Abbreviated version of my reply was along the lines of "are you joking"

At least this lot are showing more care over this lady than others do with the children

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    Scroll To Top Scroll To Center Scroll To Bottom