Election Vote

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Election Vote

Andrew Neil interview #2 tonight: Mr Corbyn.

Another one that is well worth watching.

Simply superb IMHO. A masterclass in how to stop waffle and distraction.

Boris and Jo need to be very afraid.

If you didn't see it I highly recommend you catch up on iPlayer.
    Dave

My Flickr

Comment

Andrew Neil is the nearest thing we've got today to Robin Day. Anyone else remember him? No politician was safe from his razor-sharp intellect!
      Regards
      Richard

Comment

Yes definitely remember Robin Day a superb political broadcaster.
        Andrew Neil did a good job too last night and Jeremy Corbin did an even worse job than Nicola Sturgeon, which I didn't think was possible. Role on the next victim!
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/flip_photo_flickr/

Comment

Where's the Monster Raving Loony Party in the voting roster?

The only party that give you what you vote for.

Sadly, I had to vote for A N Other.
          It's not what inspires us that is important, it's where the journey takes us.

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

Comment

Originally posted by Otto View Post
            Andrew Neil is the nearest thing we've got today to Robin Day. Anyone else remember him? No politician was safe from his razor-sharp intellect!
            Robin Day was a legend but Andrew Neil is a worthy successor. It isn't just what he says but the way he says it that cuts through politician's arguments like a bacon slicer.

Paxo was also very good on the BBC.
            ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Looks like Bashful Boris might evade his grilling by Andrew Neil. The BBC state they haven't been able to tie him down to a suitable date as yet. No surprise there !

Jax

Comment

With all the talk about drug prices and selling the NHS off to the USA this 2019 drug price comparison data makes fascinating reading.

https://www.medbelle.com/medicine-price-index-uk

The bottom line :

Comparison to world median price

Drug Type---------UK-----------USA

Branded----------(-)20.85%. 421.74%

Generic-----------470.37%. 97.41%

We pay a lot less than the USA do for branded but pay way more for generic.
                So it all depends on what mix the NHS uses.
                Dave

My Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Jax View Post
                  Looks like Bashful Boris might evade his grilling by Andrew Neil. The BBC state they haven't been able to tie him down to a suitable date as yet. No surprise there !

Jax
                  Hope they do it will certainly be popcorn time.
                  Dave

My Flickr

Comment

I will endorse my MP, Kate Green. She’ll win anyway, so Labour. Otherwise, the dynamics are bad. We’re buggered in on way or the other no matter who wins. The Conservatives will sell the NHS, gut the military*, give us their version of Brexit and enter the first war that comes along. The Lib Dems will keep us in Europe and disarm us at a time when the world is at its most unsafe in a long time. Labour may or may not take us out of Europe, will likely bankrupt us but at least we’ll have the best equipped military on the planet because, well, jobs.

And that’s just considering a small subset of the issues.

Comment

I agree with your first two points but you cannot be serious about Defence. Corbyn has said many times that he wants rid of Trident and our independent nuclear deterrent. He will probably replace rifles with crayons because that's all they are allowed where he lives.

Like it or not the defence industry employs a large number of people on good pay. What will happen to them when our Pacifist leader is let loose?

I am also doubtful that the Tories would rush into any wars. That was more Tony Blair's style. In any case any wars will have to wait until we have a few aircraft for our new aircraft carriers.
                      ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

High employment with proper jobs - not zero hours or part time ones, underpin a healthy economy.

People making washing machines in 'Mytown' earn money enough to buy cars made in 'Yourtown'. People in 'Yourtown' earn enough to buy the washing machines made in 'Mytown'. And they both pay taxes into the Exchequer.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by wornish View Post
                          With all the talk about drug prices and selling the NHS off to the USA this 2019 drug price comparison data makes fascinating reading.

https://www.medbelle.com/medicine-price-index-uk

The bottom line :

Comparison to world median price

Drug Type---------UK-----------USA

Branded----------(-)20.85%. 421.74%

Generic-----------470.37%. 97.41%

We pay a lot less than the USA do for branded but pay way more for generic.
                          So it all depends on what mix the NHS uses.
                          So taking a generic drug like aspirin - (59p for 32 at Boots) the Yanks pay around 1/4 of that - say 15p for 32?

(That's funny. I just did a quick Google and it came up with "The cost for aspirin oral delayed release tablet 81 mg is around $10 for a supply of 36 tablets, depending on the pharmacy you visit.")

Fascinating indeed!

Let's see an example supporting your statement then, Dave!

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Ford View Post
                            High employment with proper jobs - not zero hours or part time ones, underpin a healthy economy.

People making washing machines in 'Mytown' earn money enough to buy cars made in 'Yourtown'. People in 'Yourtown' earn enough to buy the washing machines made in 'Mytown'. And they both pay taxes into the Exchequer.

Jim
                            I agree 100% with that Jim but it will never happen whilst we collectively support the likes of Amazon who undercut all of the shops in Yourtown and Mytown, pay no taxes and import from the cheapest possible source on the far side of the planet at huge environmental cost.

There is a lot that government could and should do but at the end of the day it comes down to our buying habits and the behavior of big business. Short of a dictatorship it is impossible to control how businesses operate from day to day and if they don't like it they will simply move to a more favourable location. Nationalisation has already been tried and it didn't work very well.

Do you really think the likes of Jeff Bezos and the odious Mike Ashley will do what Jeremy Corbyn tells them to? They are already in breach of numerous health, safety and employment laws but they carry on regardless.
                            ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Click on the link Dave provided. You won't find Aspirin though as it refers to prescription medicines.

Jax

Comment

So taking a generic drug like aspirin - (59p for 32 at Boots) the Yanks pay around 1/4 of that - say 15p for 32?

(That's funny. I just did a quick Google and it came up with "The cost for aspirin oral delayed release tablet 81 mg is around $10 for a supply of 36 tablets, depending on the pharmacy you visit.")

Fascinating indeed!

Jim
                                I see you didnt bother to look at the global comparison figures in the link I provided.

Sorry, I didnt go to the Chemist in town or the one in New York to do a direct comparison. The link is a well established source of Global data for a whole range of drugs. Perhaps they missed your local chemist latest charge for aspirin?

There will always be exceptions you can find on Google down to local profiteering, but to base your decision on one sample of one drug is typical of those that wont face facts.

Our NHS is good at somethings but in terms of administration it needs a major sort out.We pay over four times the global median price for generic drugs - how wonderful.

Exactly what are the overpaid administrators in the NHS delivering?
                                Dave

My Flickr

Comment

Working...
                                X