No announcement yet.

Election Vote

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The off-topic section of the forum is popular and busy and as long as we can be respectful to each other I don't see any reason to start bang anything. I certainly won't tolerate bad behaviour, though, regardless of which side of any argument it comes from.

Ian
    Founder and editor of:
    Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
    Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
    Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
    Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
    Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
    Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
    NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
    sigpic

Comment

• Well said Ian. Any member is perfectly at liberty to ignore threads such as this, but suppression of reasonable and good natured debate is not a good path to follow. I haven’t seen anything here that constitutes a slanging match, but if disagreement with your views upsets you, probably best to keep out of the topic!
      Regards
      Richard

Comment

• Originally posted by Jax View Post

Correct, you obviously don't know where I'm coming from and I have no intention of dignifying your comment with an explanation.

Jax
        That’s a shame, as I didn’t mean to ruffle any feathers, I was just trying to understand where such a seemingly strange comment came from. Apologies if I’ve missed something.

I did find the “dignifying your comments” bit genuinely funny, though.
        Last edited by Steveee; 13th December 2019, 06:06 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

• Originally posted by Steveee View Post

That’s a shame, as I didn’t mean to ruffle any feathers, I was just trying to understand where such a seemingly strange comment came from. Apologies if I’ve missed something.

I did find the “dignifying your comments” bit genuinely funny, though.
          I'm pleased I was able to give you some amusement.

Jax

Comment

• Originally posted by Ian View Post
            The off-topic section of the forum is popular and busy and as long as we can be respectful to each other I don't see any reason to start bang anything. I certainly won't tolerate bad behaviour, though, regardless of which side of any argument it comes from.

Ian
            Thank you for your response Ian.

Jax

Comment

• Originally posted by Otto View Post
              Well said Ian. Any member is perfectly at liberty to ignore threads such as this, but suppression of reasonable and good natured debate is not a good path to follow. I haven’t seen anything here that constitutes a slanging match, but if disagreement with your views upsets you, probably best to keep out of the topic!

I think that is what's known as " stating the obvious" and has been stated many times before. No member's comments could possible upset me. What I do find frustrating is the knowledge that replying in the way I am sorely tempted to on occasion would simply result in censure from Admin. and therefore pointless.

Jax

Comment

• Thanks Ian for keeping the thread alive.

Everyone comes from different backgrounds, and vote in one direction for different reasons, sometime a single topic may sway a persons vote.
                Only today a friend messaged and stated “You do not vote on the person you vote on the policies they represent.”

I didnt reply but thought if that rang true you wouldn't need a leader only a set of policies. The two are equally important.

Labour was Corbyn popular? From my perspective shortly after becoming labour leader i didn’t like him so his policies didn’t mean much. However if i were to focus on his policies I would be massively worse off financially, so his policies didn’t attract me either.

Conservatives - Main rival to labour, I strangely find Johnson more to the point policies wise again too many things to list and I actually lost track of the promises. Not brilliant.

Lib dems - No policies stuck in my mind, conscious no prior prime minister closest being deputy prime minister.

Brexit

Conservative - Leave - with or without a deal TBC - wants to respect 2016 vote

Lib Dems - Remain, wouldn't respect future brexit vote if outcome was leave. No respect for 2016 vote

Labour - Re negotiate, put to the people seems long winded - none committal

How can anyone be criticised by voting the way they did based on the above! From a brexit perspective arguing that peoples views have changed isnt acceptable. When you vote in a local election then find out their priorities change you dont get a second vote! Also surprised such a clean win expected hung parliament again. Did peoples patience run out?

EM-1 MK1 - No website containing any of my photos until I'm good enough!

Comment

• I think the LibDems’ Brexit policy was not clear enough. Swinson said they would revoke Article 50 IF they were elected to government; that is entirely democratic since they would have been elected on that policy. However it was widely misinterpreted. Her hubris about being the next PM was probably her undoing. As a LibDem member I was disappointed in her performance but what’s done is done. I read that in terms of votes cast in this election there were more votes for Remain parties than Leave and that the Conservatives won a big majority on less than 50% of the overall vote. (I could probably provide the references were I using my desktop, but it’s too much trouble on a tablet). Our electoral system is broken.
                  Regards
                  Richard

Comment

• Originally posted by timboo View Post

Also surprised such a clean win expected hung parliament again. Did peoples patience run out?

More likely the majority came to their senses on polling day and voted in favour of the party taking us out of the EU. When faced between the choice of a terrorist sympathiser who wasn't in favour of Brexit and Johnson who wanted to Get It Done, it was always a no brainer really.

Jax

Comment

I think the LibDems’ Brexit policy was not clear enough. Swinson said they would revoke Article 50 IF they were elected to government; that is entirely democratic since they would have been elected on that policy. However it was widely misinterpreted. Her hubris about being the next PM was probably her undoing. As a LibDem member I was disappointed in her performance but what’s done is done. I read that in terms of votes cast in this election there were more votes for Remain parties than Leave and that the Conservatives won a big majority on less than 50% of the overall vote. (I could probably provide the references were I using my desktop, but it’s too much trouble on a tablet). Our electoral system is broken.
                      You can play with the figures all you like but the fact is, the country made a democratic decision and elected a Conservative government with a very healthy majority led by Boris Johnson. In an ideal democratic society, those who didn't support Johnson would accept defeat graciously but as comments, even in this forum, indicate, this will simply not happen. The rhetoric, accusations, will simply continue unabated.

Jax

Comment

• Where did I say I didn’t accept the result?
                        Regards
                        Richard

Comment

Where did I say I didn’t accept the result?
                          No idea Otto.

My comment was "accept defeat graciously"

Jax

Comment

• The people were ignored the first time but have spoken once more.
                            They voted again and yet still some won't accept democracy.

Be very careful what you wish for.

By all means, hold the winners accountable but at least give them a chance to deliver.

Dave

My Flickr

Comment

• Originally posted by wornish View Post
                              The people were ignored the first time but have spoken once more.
                              They voted again and yet still some won't accept democracy.

Be very careful what you wish for.

By all means, hold the winners accountable but at least give them a chance to deliver.

I'm willing to bet some don't even know the meaning of Democracy let alone put it into practice. Unfortunately these are the ones that protest the most, shout the most, and squeal the most when they fail to get the result they were hoping for Unlike in the Referendum, they can't protest on the grounds it was a close result this time though. Remain has been well and truly thrashed by the result of this election and quite rightly so.

Jax

Comment

• Maybe rightly so in your view Jax but it may turn out to be a Pyrrhic victory!
                                Regards
                                Richard

Comment

Working...
                                X