Election Vote

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Election Vote

There has been a lot of discussion in the Lounge about which party the country needs to vote for in the forthcoming election.

So let's have our own anonymous poll.
    Labour
    29.63%
    Conservative
    29.63%
    Liberal
    22.22%
    Green
    3.70%
    Other
    7.41%
    Wont Vote
    7.41%

The poll is expired.

Dave

My Flickr

Re: Election Vote

I don't know if it is possible but it would be interesting if we had a 'before and after' vote to see whether there were any particular trends. I suspect many people are despairing of the two main parties at present and will be looking for alternative parties to represent them.
    ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
      I don't know if it is possible but it would be interesting if we had a 'before and after' vote to see whether there were any particular trends. I suspect many people are despairing of the two main parties at present and will be looking for alternative parties to represent them.
      After watching the 4 main culprits on Question Time earlier tonight, despair doesn't begin to describe it ! I think Boris and Corbyn came out worst of the 4, I don't live in Scotland, and Jo Swinson didn't impress. No idea how to vote now.

Jax

Comment

Originally posted by Jax View Post
        After watching the 4 main culprits on Question Time earlier tonight, despair doesn't begin to describe it ! I think Boris and Corbyn came out worst of the 4, I don't live in Scotland, and Jo Swinson didn't impress. No idea how to vote now.

Jax
        I watched around half of the Boris V Corbyn debate earlier this week and was losing the will to live by the end of it. Labour hadn't launched their manifesto then and of course the Tories still haven't so there seemed to be even more aimless waffle and 'Testiculation' than usual.
        ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

I watched around half of the Boris V Corbyn debate earlier this week and was losing the will to live by the end of it. Labour hadn't launched their manifesto then and of course the Tories still haven't so there seemed to be even more aimless waffle and 'Testiculation' than usual.
          Of the 4 tonight, Boris was the worst, waffled his way round every question and seemed totally out of his depth and comfort zone. If I had to choose, it would have be Jo but only because she's slightly better looking of the 4

Jax

Comment

I was planning to avoid these overtly political threads on a camera forum, however here goes;

I'd urge anyone to vote, even if it's for the best worst option (what ever that is from their own perspective). [That is in the election, not necessarily in this poll]

I'm fortunate over here in Buxton, as we seem to have a good local constituency MP, who happens to be Labour.
            It makes it an easy choice for me in this local two horse race; ( I think Lib Dems were on about 4%). Whilst I don't agree with many of her party's policies, I would have voted for her regardless, to keep the local Tory candidate out, completely independent of Brexit (or anything else for that matter).

In this forthcoming election, if I lived elsewhere, I'd vote for whoever was most likely to ensure that this particular Tory government doesn't get a majority.
            Before we moved house earlier in the year, that would have been Lib Dems.

The thought of this existing cabinet leading us forward in a new government fills me with horror. As it stands at the moment, if one takes them at their word in refusing a withdrawal agreement extension, I find it hard to see any way to avoid a catastrophic chaotic departure from the EU.

If the Conservatives fail to get a working majority, there is at least the possibility of a second referendum.
            With the current amount of deceit, and the divisions it's caused in our once tolerant society, I've no idea how that would turn out, but at least the electorate would have decided on the latest information available at the time (regardless of how tainted it might be).

In the event of the Conservatives failing to get a majority, and then "losing" a second referendum instigated by some Labour led pact, it might actually temper some of Mr Corbyn's more ambitious schemes, as they would be subject to EU law.

Either way, it's imperative that we end up with a government which is open to the scrutiny of parliament, who are the country's elected representatives, to whom we have temporarily transferred our sovereignty.
            I really hope Sir Lindsay Hoyle is up to the job however he decides to tackle what might be another poisoned chalice.
            Best Regards
            Bill

The nearest I have to a home page.
            http://www.flickr.com/photos/peak4/
            They're Watching You!

Comment

• sapper
              sapper commented
              Editing a comment
              The result sickened me. I see that Burnley returned a Tory, despite the last 9 years of tory cuts. Talk about Turkeys voting for Christmas!

I'll vote for whoever keeps that lovable tousle haired scalywag Johnson out of office. To adapt what Camille Saint Saens said - lies spring from his mouth as easily as apples grow upon a tree. So in my area it has to be Labour.

BTW. Those that declared that they won't vote will be siding with the victors!

Jim

Comment

I'm not telling you. How does that work with the poll?

Harold
              The body is willing but the mind is weak.

Comment

As I said in the 'Boris' thread, unless our postal votes arrive by Tuesday, we can't vote because we will be in Thailand for three weeks.

A point I did make, not very well, was that many people now have the postal vote but the parties only start leafleting or knocking well after the postal vote has to be posted ... so postal voters often have to vote blind because they haven't a clue what their local MP is offering. Maybe that's why the same old, same old, get in time after time.

Comment

Originally posted by Keith-369 View Post
                  As I said in the 'Boris' thread, unless our postal votes arrive by Tuesday, we can't vote because we will be in Thailand for three weeks.

A point I did make, not very well, was that many people now have the postal vote but the parties only start leafleting or knocking well after the postal vote has to be posted ... so postal voters often have to vote blind because they haven't a clue what their local MP is offering. Maybe that's why the same old, same old, get in time after time.

Tony Blair introduced postal voting but it was very selectively applied, and I don't think has changed since.
                  ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Tony Blair introduced postal voting but it was very selectively applied, and I don't think has changed since.
                    Surely postal voting has been around a lot longer than that? I was a student a l--o--n--g time ago (not quite shillings and pence but not very long after) and I had a postal vote to vote at home from college.

John

Comment

Originally posted by Bikie John View Post
                      Surely postal voting has been around a lot longer than that? I was a student a l--o--n--g time ago (not quite shillings and pence but not very long after) and I had a postal vote to vote at home from college.

John
                      Postal voting was allowed for people who would reasonably be away from home at the time of an election, (work and studies rather than holidays ISTR), but blanket postal voting only started when Tony Blair was in office. Proxy voting is also allowed I believe.

Postal voting is a costly exercise and is prone to fraud so it has its disadvantages.

We have a postal ballot here, but the polling stations are still open, and we can take your postal votes along if we haven't posted them in time.
                      ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Anyone can apply for a postal vote -

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...-a-postal-vote

- it is especially useful to the elderly, infirm and disabled.

Comment

Originally posted by Keith-369 View Post
                          Anyone can apply for a postal vote -

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...-a-postal-vote

- it is especially useful to the elderly, infirm and disabled.
                          I think we always could apply for postal voting Keith, but there were quite a few exceptions. The present postal voting system where everyone in certain selected areas has the option of a postal vote without giving a reason only started during Tony Blair's presidency.

Before anyone mentions 'Hitchen's Razor' I have provided a link to the House of Commons Library below.

The numbers of postal votes shown in the table on this document is interesting too.

---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Postal voting was allowed for people who would reasonably be away from home at the time of an election, (work and studies rather than holidays ISTR), but blanket postal voting only started when Tony Blair was in office. Proxy voting is also allowed I believe.

Postal voting is a costly exercise and is prone to fraud so it has its disadvantages.

We have a postal ballot here, but the polling stations are still open, and we can take your postal votes along if we haven't posted them in time.
                            Thanks for clarifying, I didn't know that. I am not sure whether it is a good or bad idea overall. Probably, like a rather too many things, it's a good idea which is open to abuse by people with bad motives.

John

Comment

Working...
                            X