Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boris Gate

Originally posted by Jim Ford View Post
    Boris 'Pants-on-Fire' Johnson has given his 'cast iron guarantee' that access to the N.H.S. won't be on the table in trade negotiations with the U.S..

Jim

Which obviously means that it will. Why on Earth does anybody believe a word that man says?
    Regards
    Richard

Comment

Originally posted by Otto View Post
      Which obviously means that it will. Why on Earth does anybody believe a word that man says?
      Because he's a lovable tousle haired rascal. It seems to be enough for many people, including his mistresses!

For me, even though I spent 35 years in a factory, I still don't have a big enough vocabulary of expletives to describe him!

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Zuiko View Post
        I think that ship has sailed, Nigel. Or should I say, that train has left the station.
        That ship sailed and promptly hit the rocks. Contrary to his promises Harold Wilson and Barbara Castle between them cut a further 2,200 miles of railway - significantly more than that closed in line with the Beeching Report, but that is never mentioned.
        ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

We could always have a Stainless Steel guarantee, but I'm not sure we can trust the Chinese, who now own it, with any political promises.
          Stainless Steel is an interesting material, and like aluminium is actually far more prone to catastrophic corrosion than most people realise.

But yes; do we trust the Chinese? I wouldn't trust them any further than certain communists much closer to home!

We in the West complain about the Chinese wrecking the environment and abusing their power but collectively we gave them the wealth and the technology to do it, and the jobs too.
          ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
            Stainless Steel is an interesting material, and like aluminium is actually far more prone to catastrophic corrosion than most people realise. (
            Particularly in sea water, when some alloys can become severely pitted. I'm not sure of the chemistry, but I should imagine that it's some sort of electrochemical effect.

Between Snake Pass and Kinder Scout in the Peak District, there's a wreck site of an early jet aircraft (early 50s?) The stainless steel components of the engine were still bright and shiny when I last looked in the late 90s (gosh, was it that long ago?).

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
              That ship sailed and promptly hit the rocks. Contrary to his promises Harold Wilson and Barbara Castle between them cut a further 2,200 miles of railway - significantly more than that closed in line with the Beeching Report, but that is never mentioned.
              It is by you!
              John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

Particularly in sea water, when some alloys can become severely pitted. I'm not sure of the chemistry, but I should imagine that it's some sort of electrochemical effect.

Between Snake Pass and Kinder Scout in the Peak District, there's a wreck site of an early jet aircraft (early 50s?) The stainless steel components of the engine were still bright and shiny when I last looked in the late 90s (gosh, was it that long ago?).

Jim
                I thought it were a WW2 bomber... unless there's two of course!
                Paul

I didn’t get where I am today....

Comment

Originally posted by Walti_too View Post
                  I thought it were a WW2 bomber... unless there's two of course!
                  There are actually 3 aircraft involved in the wreck sites. Two F86 Sabre aircraft crashed within yards of each other whilst flying in close formtion.

The other is, as you've mentioned the WW2 American bomber - a B29 if memory serves?
                  It's not what inspires us that is important, it's where the journey takes us.

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

Comment

It is by you!
                    Lets just say I have a particular fondness for railways John.

That aside, in my view it was disgraceful short-sightedness on the part of successive governments to put perfectly viable railway lines and associated structures beyond further use and to encouraging building over track beds. Their only interests were short-term tax take from road traffic, and in the case of Earnest Marples, big road building contracts.

Many of the traffic congestion, CO2 footprint and air quality problems that we are currently being taxed for could so easily have been avoided. Furthermore, HS2, if it was still needed, could easily have been built on existing track beds.
                    ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

I seem to recall that near the site I saw was a memorial to an R.A.F. pilot. It was on a level plateau, not high up.

I used to camp at Upper Booth in Edale in the 80s and 90s. The farmer's wife told me that an elderly woman used stay there to go up Kinder Scout every year to a crash site where her son was killed.

Edit:

This is the site:

http://aircrashsites.co.uk/air-crash...7-and-xd730-3/

As Wally stated - it's an engine from a Sabre. The exposed turbine disc is interesting as it appears to be a composite of a non-corrosion resistant centre with a corrosion resistant outer part. I'm not sure how the two would have been combined. Shrink fitting would be right out in such an application. I noticed that the blades had been knocked out by souvenir hunters. Not easy under those conditions when they're swaged in as they often were then.

Jim

Comment

Jim
                        Stainless steel and aluminium need a ready supply of oxygen to maintain their protective oxide layers, which are very thin. But for these oxide layers the metals would quickly return to dust!

Problems start when the oxygen supply is interrupted exposing the reactive metals to the elements. This often happens in pits and other confined spaces where oxygen is in short supply or where two pieces of stainless or aluminium are fastened together with a narrow gap between them. Lose paint coatings will often cause much worse corrosion than exposing the bare metal.

Aluminium in particular is a highly reactive metal which in powder form will ignite or explode if exposed to pure oxygen or if mixed with rust!
                        ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

I see that the mischievous scamp with the cheeky smile is hiding under the bed, rather than face being excoriated by Andrew Neil! I guess that Neil is rather relieved because he would scarcely know where to start on the catalogue of 'Pants on Fire' Johnson's lies.

Jim

Comment

I see that the mischievous scamp with the cheeky smile is hiding under the bed, rather than face being excoriated by Andrew Neil! I guess that Neil is rather relieved because he would scarcely know where to start on the catalogue of 'Pants on Fire' Johnson's lies.

Jim
                            Would it not be possible to wire them all up to lie detectors?

Is bullshit and lying the same thing and would a lie detector work with both?

I'm told they do/did it on the Jeremy Kyle Show so it must be possible.
                            ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

I see that the mischievous scamp with the cheeky smile is hiding under the bed
                              Whose bed? Be specific!

Harold
                              The body is willing but the mind is weak.

Comment

Originally posted by Harold Gough View Post
                                Whose bed? Be specific!

Harold
                                Comrade Corbyn has had a few too, including Dianne Abbott we are told, all in the name of inclusiveness I'm sure.

He also divorced one of his wives for sending their child to 'the wrong school'. Anyone who is prepared to break up his marital home and disadvantage his own child for reasons of political ideology is downright dangerous in my view.
                                ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Working...
                                X