Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

• Re: Boris Gate

Originally posted by Jax View Post
      It's inevitable, just a matter of time

As always the guilty won't be addressed, much easier to close the thread

Jax
      Up until now the behaviour in this thread has caused me no concern and I have enjoyed the robust but good humoured debate. I hope this is going to continue.
      John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

It looks like the local council made an unwise decision, but the person jailed was not a Labour councillor

Is that the best you can do - a case from 49 years ago? I'll counter you with the first Tory corruption scandal that comes to mind - the Westminster Council "Building Homes for Stable Communities":
        https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homes_for_votes_scandalThat's an odd one. Seems to be a one-man crusade. Why hasn't he got wider real support, rather than providing fodder for news items? I guess that most towns have someone that's exercised over something that they disagree with regarding council decisions.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Zuiko View Post
          Up until now the behaviour in this thread has caused me no concern and I have enjoyed the robust but good humoured debate. I hope this is going to continue.
          Of course it is John ! We are one of the best behaved fora on the web. Just slightly misunderstood on occasion by Admin

Jax

Comment

Originally posted by Naughty Nigel View Post

Please rephrase that Jax:

Play nicely and wave the red flag or the thread will be closed.
            I'm disappointed if anyone believes I use my admin powers to close threads based on my own political bias.

Anyway, as I said earlier I'm more anti-Tory than pro-Labour. Both are serving us badly at the moment, but in my view the Tories really have crossed the line by renaming one of their twitter accounts to make it appear to be an independent fact checker organisation. On top of that they have set up a fake website purporting to belong to Labour and having details of their manifesto. These are deliberate attempts to misinform the public and falsely influence the voting intentions of the electorate. I know that all politicians lie, or at best are economic with the truth, but since Boris and Dominic took over the Conservatives seem to have taken it to a new level which has started ringing alarm bells for me.

Had Rory Stewart been elected leader of the Conservative Party, I might possibly have been persuaded to vote for them at this election. However, I believe that Johnson is the worst possible PM and is potentially far more dangerous than Corbyn. I suspect that on polling day I will be waving not a blue flag or a red flag, but possibly a yellow or green one.
            John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

average
              Stuff from Cuba
              More stuff from Cuba
              It all started here

Comment

I suspect that on polling day I will be waving not a blue flag or a red flag, but possibly a yellow or green one.
                Me too John.

But as I said before, everybody needs to be able to look further than the colour of the candidates' rosettes. Many here seem incapable of doing that. The same individuals also seem to be the most abrasive when it comes to any political discussion.
                ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

I'm disappointed if anyone believes I use my admin powers to close threads based on my own political bias.
                  I for one don't think that and I very much doubt if others hold that opinion.

I do however think the constant threat by Admin to close threads and actually closing them when trouble occurs or threats and abusive comments are made by one or two individuals is akin to adopting the "Ostrich Syndrome". If a distant family member committed a crime for which the whole extended family was then arrested I'm sure there would be an outcry.

We have seen instances previously, also recently, where abusive comments and even veiled threats have been made yet the only solution seemed to be a threat by Admin. to close the thread. Surely the fair way is for Admin. to examine the conversation, come to a conclusion as to responsibility and censure those concerned in some way.

The last time I endured the policy applied in this forum of blaming all for the actions of one or two was in school when the entire class received detention because Little Johnny threw chalk at the teacher. ( he didn't even hit the target )

The vast majority of posts in the Lounge between those holding opposing opinions are made tongue in cheek or are what would be considered elsewhere, as "banter". It is only occasionally where feelings run high or an individual has a habit of aggressive comments that problems arise and at that point should be dealt with on an individual basis by Admin. not with a threat to close the thread.

It has been stated somewhere that the Lounge and it's various debates and arguments has always been a problem and members should concentrate on photo related comments. I suggest however that without the Lounge and its lively banter and debates, the forum would be far quieter, less visited, and possibly even lose members. The quietness and fewer visits was evident after the last political thread was closed

Anyway, it's time for my Nationalised cup of Horlicks ( as Harold suggested ) then off to bed to sleep the sleep of innocents

Jax

Comment

I certainly feel this forum is probably more Yellow and Green than Red or Blue.

Perhaps we need a poll?
                    Dave

My Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by wornish View Post
                      I certainly feel this forum is probably more Yellow and Green than Red or Blue.

Perhaps we need a poll?
                      Have you ever taken the Ishihara test Dave?
                      ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Have you ever taken the Ishihara test Dave?
                        Never heard of it. Will Google it and have a go.

Follow up. Just done the test

and No I am not colour blind.

I have just posted a poll and I think I know the outcome will prove me wrong.
                        The majority vote will begin with a letter between q and s.
                        Last edited by wornish; 22nd November 2019, 10:21 PM. Reason: Updated
                        Dave

My Flickr

Comment

Much of the debate surrounding this election has been about threats of privatisation of the NHS (or not) rather than about Brexit.

However, I have been told that under EU rules the NHS MUST put services out to competitive tender. This is required by the EU to prevent a state monopoly.

I don't know how true this is but it could mean the only way the NHS can be truly nationalised again is to leave the EU. Likewise railways, utilities, BT and so forth.

The same rules demand that services such as police and ambulance have to by their vehicles form the cheapest bidder, so we see our police driving around in German cars. meanwhile the French do what they like!
                          ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

I want to vote in this election but, unless our postal vote papers arrive on Monday or Tuesday, I won't be able to as we will be in Thailand for three weeks and it will be all over when we get back.

They really should get postal vote papers out earlier, but then again, I've noted that by the time postal voters have to get their papers in the post, we still have no election leaflets through the letterbox so maybe the parties should get moving earlier as well.

Edit to say, not very eloquently put but you know what I mean ... don't you?

Comment

Much of the debate surrounding this election has been about threats of privatisation of the NHS (or not) rather than about Brexit.

However, I have been told that under EU rules the NHS MUST put services out to competitive tender. This is required by the EU to prevent a state monopoly.

I don't know how true this is but it could mean the only way the NHS can be truly nationalised again is to leave the EU. Likewise railways, utilities, BT and so forth.

The same rules demand that services such as police and ambulance have to by their vehicles form the cheapest bidder, so we see our police driving around in German cars. meanwhile the French do what they like!
                              Interesting that no one as raised this point in any of the interviews I have seen.

Need to get Andrew Neil on the case
                              Dave

My Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Jax View Post

Anyway, it's time for my Nationalised cup of Horlicks ( as Harold suggested ) then off to bed to sleep the sleep of innocents

Jax
                                You misinterpreted my meaning of "horlicks" Look up the slang term.

Harold
                                The body is willing but the mind is weak.

Comment

Working...
                                X