Boris Gate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boris Gate

Whichever party wins the forthcoming election I sincerely hope they reform the pathetic unjust sentencing handed out to murderers.

Two items in the news tonight, one about a mugger who tried to steal watches from two soccer players and was given 10 years. The other regarding a 17 yr old youth who murdered his ex-girlfriend by stabbing her numerous times in the neck and face and was given life with a 12 yr minimum term. Whilst not intending to make light of the mugging offence, surely anyone can see the difference in the two offences, yet both have attracted similar jail terms.

IMHO murder like the above and a life sentence should mean Whole Life not possible release in 12 yrs time. Alternatively, lets have a referendum after the election regarding a death sentence for offences similar to the above. I know, not a hope in hell of that ever happening !

A possible 12 years in jail for committing a horrific murder of a young girl is an awful disgrace and condemnation of our legal system. All those responsible for deciding sentencing terms should be thoroughly ashamed.

Jax

Comment

Originally posted by Beagletorque View Post
      However we know for a fact that Boris's lot have allowed arms sales to Saudi which have directly killed many thousands, and they knew it would.

Boris's lot? Do you mean the UK Government? Because both Tory and Labour governments have been selling arms to unsavoury regimes around the world for many decades. The rationale is usually "If they don't buy from us they'll buy from someone else so we might as well make some money from it and protect jobs in the UK arms sector".
      Best wishes

Wildwood

Comment

However these arms sales were unlawful: https://www.theguardian.com/law/2019...lared-unlawful
        Andy
        bengeo.com

Comment

Originally posted by Wildwood View Post
          Boris's lot? Do you mean the UK Government? Because both Tory and Labour governments have been selling arms to unsavoury regimes around the world for many decades. The rationale is usually "If they don't buy from us they'll buy from someone else so we might as well make some money from it and protect jobs in the UK arms sector".
          Like it or not the arms industry provides a large number of well paid jobs in this country. I wonder how many of those employed will be campaigning to have arms sales halted?
          ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Following on from Wildwoods' post... And the cry goes up "Infamy, Infamy, you've all got it in for me.
            The Good, the Bad and the Ugly... https://gsdrc.org/document-library/t...-arms-exports/

The bottom line? When it comes down to whom to blame, we are all spoilt for choice.
            It's not what inspires us that is important, it's where the journey takes us.

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

Comment

Originally posted by Wally View Post
              Following on from Wildwoods' post... And the cry goes up "Infamy, Infamy, you've all got it in for me.
              The Good, the Bad and the Ugly... https://gsdrc.org/document-library/t...-arms-exports/

The bottom line? When it comes down to whom to blame, we are all spoilt for choice.
              ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
                Furthermore the Royal Navy provides a valuable humanitarian service outwith defence.
                When it's ships are not in dry dock undergoing drastic repairs due to design faults.

I'm in total agreement about questioning the Labour Party in this forum

Jax

Comment

Originally posted by Walti View Post
                  Where's Screaming Lord Sutch when you need him?

Vote Monster Raving Looney Party... You know it makes sense (well as much sense as voting for any of the other bar stewards involved in todays politics!)
                  With Jeremy and BoJo baying to lead the country why would we need a Monster Raving Looney Party?
                  ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by Jax View Post
                    When it's ships are not in dry dock undergoing drastic repairs due to design faults.

Jax
                    Err yes; you do have a point there Jax.
                    ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
                      Err yes; you do have a point there Jax.
                      I can't recall the exact details now and can't be bothered to search the net. ( somebody else prob will )

I think it was 3 or more brand new cruisers or battleships they discovered had major engine design faults on their maiden voyages. The resulting extensive repairs left the navy seriously short of ships. Not to mention the aircraft carriers that had no fighter jets ! You couldn't make it up no matter how hard you tried

Hardly surprising we were selling arms to Saudi Arabia, we have to make up the massive shortfall in funds created by these fiasco's somehow.

Jax

Comment

Apparently, according to the Telegraph, around 300,000 is the number of people employed by the defence industry overall in the UK. That's a hell of a lot of Unemployment Benefit if the worst came to the worst !

Jax

Comment

Originally posted by Jax View Post
                          I can't recall the exact details now and can't be bothered to search the net. ( somebody else prob will )

I think it was 3 or more brand new cruisers or battleships they discovered had major engine design faults on their maiden voyages. The resulting extensive repairs left the navy seriously short of ships. Not to mention the aircraft carriers that had no fighter jets ! You couldn't make it up no matter how hard you tried

Hardly surprising we were selling arms to Saudi Arabia, we have to make up the massive shortfall in funds created by these fiasco's somehow.

Jax
                          In addition to the engine failures there were some serous cracking problem in the decks of Class 21 frigates caused by the different expansion coefficients of steel and aluminium. There was also problem with the hulls of later designs. I tried to look this up and failed, but I did find a list of US navel vessels with hull cracking problems! I also found that the Americans, as far back as 1996, were planning to build their warships in steel rather than aluminium owing to cracking problems.

Warships are of course built for speed so their hulls are not as heavily laid up as commercial vessels of the same overall length.
                          ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

This link goes back to 2017 and shows just how bad things really were and why it was kept under wraps. Nothing to do about H & S, all to do with cash.

The report was declassified 35 years later... https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...-hms-sheffield
                            It's not what inspires us that is important, it's where the journey takes us.

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

Comment

Originally posted by Wally View Post
                              This link goes back to 2017 and shows just how bad things really were and why it was kept under wraps. Nothing to do about H & S, all to do with cash.

The report was declassified 35 years later... https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...-hms-sheffield

Reading the report it wasn't so much about cash as the desire to sell the Type 42 Destroyers overseas.

You couldn't make it up could you?
                              ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

• Stuff from Cuba
                                More stuff from Cuba
                                It all started here

Comment

Working...
                                X