Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Climate Change

Originally posted by Walti
    The big shame is that everyone who works there can see what's happening and are powerless to change it...
    Now that's a statement which can apply to sooo many businesses .... and could very well be the answer to many as well.

Unfortunately, suggestion schemes and the like have been totally abused by management and, because of the way they are or have been treated many employees are of the mind that they say 'I'm not paid to think'.

Upper management are so far away from the basics that they would not understand if you told them the problems, they just ask for the numbers and never why the numbers are what they are. So many lower management do not pass enough information up the ladder regarding problems because it could make it look as though they are not coping.

All so sad, really.

Comment

Originally posted by Keith-369 View Post
      Now that's a statement which can apply to sooo many businesses .... and could very well be the answer to many as well.

Unfortunately, suggestion schemes and the like have been totally abused by management and, because of the way they are or have been treated many employees are of the mind that they say 'I'm not paid to think'.

Upper management are so far away from the basics that they would not understand if you told them the problems, they just ask for the numbers and never why the numbers are what they are. So many lower management do not pass enough information up the ladder regarding problems because it could make it look as though they are not coping.

All so sad, really.
      ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Our local WH Smith usually has just one employee on the premises when I visit. The price of some of their products borders on extortion, I wanted some sheets for my laminator but there was no way I would pay the asking price.

David
        The beauty of not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise and is not preceded by periods of anxiety

Comment

Going back to M&S for a minute. I’ve used their banks credit card for many, many years and regularly get a reasonable quantity of money off vouchers which I try to maximise by buying things like wine when it’s 25% off. However now they are closing the local store I’ve begun the gradual change to a Sainsbury’s card, helped on its way yesterday by being unable to order foreign currency for postal delivery from M&S, so yet another facility they’ve withdrawn and subsequently another lost customer. Been buying currency from them for probably 15 years or more.

Comment

How to discuss Climate change with today's "woke" teenagers

https://www.armstrongeconomics.com/w...limate-change/

Sounds good I am sure they will accept it.
            Dave

My Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by wornish View Post
              How to discuss Climate change with today's "woke" teenagers
              https://www.armstrongeconomics.com/w...limate-change/

Sounds good I am sure they will accept it.
              I like it. Will it work?
              Cameras: E-M5, E-PM2, OM40, OM4Ti
              Lenses (M.Zuiko Digital): 7-14mm/F2.8, 12-40mm/F2.8, 40-150mm/F2.8+TC1.4x, 12-50mm/F3.5-6.3, 14-42mm/F3.5-5.6 EZ, M.ZD 40-150 F4-5.6 R, 75-300mm/F4.8-6.7 Mk1, 12mm/F2, 17mm/F1.8
              Lenses (OM Zuiko): 50mm/F1.2, 24mm/F2, 35mm/F2.8 shift
              Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
              Learn something new every day

Comment

• Science or Fiction - Tales of the unexpected?

According to these figures, an Electric Car generates about twice the CO2 of a diesel given the same usage.
                Fairly old post but recently updated for petrol engines as well.

https://twitter.com/Sci_or_Fic/statu...47068223373312
                Last edited by wornish; 3 weeks ago. Reason: Corrected
                Dave

My Flickr

Comment

• Originally posted by wornish View Post
                  Science or Fiction - Tales of the unexpected?

According to these figures, an Electric Car generates about twice the CO2 of an electric given the same usage.

Sorry dont understand the statement

Comment

• wornish
                    wornish commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Did you read the link?

It's self-explanatory.
                    In summary, the total CO2 emissions caused by diesel car is about half that of an electric car when everything is taken into account.

From the first few sections by the guy posting the tweet.

I’m planning to buy a car.
                    I have been planning for an Electrical Vehicle.
                    So I would like to see how much CO2 I will save compared with a Diesel car.

The cars weights the same.
                    Have the same tires.
                    They would have the same driver - me.
                    The driving pattern would be the same.

I will calculate the CO2 emissions for 1 TJ delivered to the wheels of both cars.
                    First I will quantify the essential parameters with references.
                    Then I will summarize it all in a spreadsheet picture.
                    Finally, I will celebrate the result.

Read the link it's quite long.

• Yes I did read the link. My comment however referred to this:

Originally posted by wornish View Post

According to these figures, an Electric Car generates about twice the CO2 of an electric

Comment

• wornish
                    wornish commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Sorry, I don't understand. The statement is clear and for a person living in Germany based on very reasonable data.
                    It will be different if you live in a country that has a different mix of electricity generation.
                    Can't say anymore.

• Originally posted by Darkroom View Post
                  Yes I did read the link. My comment however referred to this:

It’s saying ‘electric generates twice an electric’. So it should say diesel for one of ‘em!!

that didn’t work to quote Wornish! Oh well, I’m sure you get my drift.
                  how do you reply to a comment within a message??

Comment

• Originally posted by TimP View Post

It’s saying ‘electric generates twice an electric’. So it should say diesel for one of ‘em!!

that didn’t work to quote Wornish! Oh well, I’m sure you get my drift.
                    how do you reply to a comment within a message??
                    Thanks Tim, I know that, you know that................... Dave however can't see the error in his own post !

You can reply to a comment by making another comment or by copy and pasting the original comment into your reply and then highlight the text and adding "" ( the wrap quotes round text button ) Messy but it works.
                    Last edited by Darkroom; 3 weeks ago.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darkroom View Post

Thanks Tim, I know that, you know that................... Dave however can't see the error in his own post !

You can reply to a comment by making another comment or by copy and pasting the original comment into your reply and then highlight the text and adding "" ( the wrap quotes round text button ) Messy but it works.
                      OK my word blind moment. I could not see the mistake thanks for pointing it out.

Now corrected.
                      Dave

My Flickr

Comment

• Why are so many people ignoring the Carbon emissions of pet food production? Yes it is a very emotive issue for pet owners, but we are all being told we have to make sacrifices...

https://www.theguardian.com/global/2...ogs-the-answer

Graham

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...

Comment

• Originally posted by wornish View Post

OK my word blind moment. I could not see the mistake thanks for pointing it out.

Now corrected.
                          No worries Dave According to SWMBO I get those on an hourly basis.

Comment

• Originally posted by Graham_of_Rainham View Post
                            Why are so many people ignoring the Carbon emissions of pet food production? Yes it is a very emotive issue for pet owners, but we are all being told we have to make sacrifices...

https://www.theguardian.com/global/2...ogs-the-answer
                            Very pettemistic attitude ! Why focus on pets ? Are we going to sacrifice all the overweight human burger and pie munchers to reduce carbon emissions ? My dog eats a fraction of what I manage to get through on a daily basis. The goldfish and budgie eat even less.

Comment

Working...
                            X