Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: When i was a child

Originally posted by Harold Gough View Post
    Ours still has and we always get a signal.

Harold

Comment

We grew our own fruit and vegetables and reared chickens. I still remember how to kill a chicken.

Harold
      The body is willing but the mind is weak.

Comment

I was thinking that but Henry said 'all 4 of us would get a ride in it' which made me think it was a Bubble Car. You are probably right about the sidecar; I am sure I have seen Vespas with them fitted.

I can certainly remember Mods and Rockers, and the Teddy Boys before that!
        ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by Harold Gough View Post
          We grew our own fruit and vegetables and reared chickens. I still remember how to kill a chicken.

Harold
          My parents kept chickens during the war, but they had to give up their egg ration!
          ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Yep, all of the above! The Panther 650 was reputed to do one stroke every telegraph pole in top gear! They only produced 24 BHP which seems very little nowadays, but my dad would overtake cars on the way up Duncton Hill over the South Downs (near Petworth) whilst changing UP gear. Duncton Hill was something of a graveyard for cars on a hot Saturday morning so being overtaken by a motorbike and sidecar was probably something of an insult to many.
            ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by Naughty Nigel View Post

Was that a 'Bubble Car'? I remember those.

They were very popular in the UK because being three wheeled they could be driven on a motorcycle licence.

When I was about four my father bought a Panther 650 motorbike and sidecar 'combination' as they were called in those days. My older brother or sister would ride in the sidecar with me whilst my mother rode pillion! That was around 1959 or 1960.

We lived in a rather snotty private road in Surrey and I don't think the neighbours were too impressed. Some were so posh they even had cars! My mother was rather conscious of this but I think it just encouraged my father to give the bike a 'handfull'.
              FMR TG 500 crosseye stereo

Harold
              The body is willing but the mind is weak.

Comment

Wasn't it the Isetta that was faster in reverse than going forward?

---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Crafty Italian joke snuck in there!

Comment

Originally posted by TimP View Post
                    Crafty Italian joke snuck in there!

Oh yes, I had forgotten about that; but seriously, there was a Bubble Car made in Ireland I think that was faster in reverse than going forward.

They didn't have a reverse gear as such, but the two-stroke engine could be stopped and restarted backwards.
                    ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Oh yes, I had forgotten about that; but seriously, there was a Bubble Car made in Ireland I think that was faster in reverse than going forward.

They didn't have a reverse gear as such, but the two-stroke engine could be stopped and restarted backwards.
                      The Messerschmidt was like that - I had one. IIRC it had a Sachs engine and your turned the ignition key the other way for reverse. It had a motorcycle type gearbox. The heating system was referred to as a 'mega-puffer' in the handbook!

(BTW - I think the thread would be better titled 'When I were a lad'!)

Jim

Comment

And you still can't beat a pair of copper wires for call quality, plus there is no danger of microwaving your brain.
                        Still have that and it's call every for free now.

Was that a 'Bubble Car'? I remember those.

They were very popular in the UK because being three wheeled they could be driven on a motorcycle licence.

When I was about four my father bought a Panther 650 motorbike and sidecar 'combination' as they were called in those days. My older brother or sister would ride in the sidecar with me whilst my mother rode pillion! That was around 1959 or 1960.

We lived in a rather snotty private road in Surrey and I don't think the neighbours were too impressed. Some were so posh they even had cars! My mother was rather conscious of this but I think it just encouraged my father to give the bike a 'handfull'.
                        Unfortunately it wasn't a bubble car. I stood in the front, my sis would be sandwich in between.
                        * Henry
                        * Malaysia

All my garbage so far.

Comment

Working...
                        X