When i was a child

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: When i was a child

Another often forgotten Rolls Royce engine user, though later models had the engine built by Austin.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austin_Champ

I remember looking through exchange and mart wanting one of these but i bought a BSA side valve dispatch riders motorbike M20 i think.

Comment

Originally posted by Otto View Post
      No Jax, they weren't the good old days, and nowadays we don't need such a big navy and airforce because membership of the EU has kept us free of the old European wars for over seventy years.
      It would seem not everyone agrees with that :

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-38044967

Jax

Comment

Originally posted by Rocknroll59 View Post
        Just realised i'm celebrating an anniversary today...50 years to the day that I passed my driving test, 50 years on and no points on my licence ever, no insurance claims for prangs ever, and over 1.5million miles (est) of driving safely....not sure how things will fair in the coming years with yet more and more manic drivers on the road.

Peter

Comment

There was a cartoon in a very old magazine with a caption saying it take four people to drink a bottle of British wine. The carton showed two men holding down the third man, and the fourth man pouring the wine into the third mans mouth. Dated roughly 1870.

Was there s magazine called the London Illustrated?

Comment

Originally posted by MJ224 View Post
            Was there s magazine called the London Illustrated?
            The illustrated London News.

Harold
            The body is willing but the mind is weak.

Comment

Graham

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...

Comment

Over the years i have had and enjoyed both sorts, now my teeth wont cope with one sort and my body with the other.

Comment

Funny, never liked crackling, or skin on chicken or turkey.
                  Dammit! Now I fancy a proper roast!

Comment

Originally posted by peak4 View Post
                    In all the nostalgia, don't forget about the Metro and the Allegro Vanden Plas.
                    How could we possibly forget those. Weren't they a job creation scheme for AA and RAC patrols?

Originally posted by Harold Gough View Post
                    But almost nobody owned a car! (1950s).
                    Harold, almost nobody needed a car in the 1950's. Houses were generally built within walking distance of a railway station, and there were buses too. Remember those?

Then in 1963 one Ernest Marples, Chairman of the Marples Ridgdeway road building business decided to close down a significant number of railway lines and made sure they were put beyond any further use. His successor, Barbara Castle did even more damage despite promises made by Harold Wilson in 1964. To make matters even worse, the TGWU under Jack Jones did their best to disrupt all remaining rail freight to protect lorry drivers' jobs.

Then houses were built on greenfield sites well away form existing habaition, where there were no railway stations or bus services. Houses were even built on former railway land just to make sure the lines were never used again.

So you are right; almost nobody owned a car in the 1950's; but within ten years they had no other choice. You really couldn't make it up. Government has now realised its collective mistake and is taxing us for it!

Rant over.
                    ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Phone had wires,
                      Music came with a box that had to be wound and a nail that had to be sharpen. ( remember getting smacked but can't remember why)
                      My late Dad had a Vespa and all 4 of us would get a ride in it.
                      And we had a High House to do our business in ( wonder how we made it without those water closets)
                      * Henry
                      * Malaysia

All my garbage so far.

Comment

Originally posted by blu-by-u View Post
                        Phone had wires.
                        And you still can't beat a pair of copper wires for call quality, plus there is no danger of microwaving your brain.

My late Dad had a Vespa and all 4 of us would get a ride in it.
                        Was that a 'Bubble Car'? I remember those.

They were very popular in the UK because being three wheeled they could be driven on a motorcycle licence.

When I was about four my father bought a Panther 650 motorbike and sidecar 'combination' as they were called in those days. My older brother or sister would ride in the sidecar with me whilst my mother rode pillion! That was around 1959 or 1960.

We lived in a rather snotty private road in Surrey and I don't think the neighbours were too impressed. Some were so posh they even had cars! My mother was rather conscious of this but I think it just encouraged my father to give the bike a 'handfull'.
                        ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

A Vespa was an Italian make of a scooter, the classic ‘Mods’ type of scooter. Bubble cars were Messershmitt, and / or possibly Heinkel. Enough to strike fear into the hearts of Brits of a certain age I suspect.
                          Also presuming the Vespa had a side car, I think such things existed.

Comment

Phone had wires,
                            Ours still has and we always get a signal.

Harold

Comment

Originally posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
                              Harold, almost nobody needed a car in the 1950's. Houses were generally built within walking distance of a railway station, and there were buses too. Remember those?
                              My dad (a bricklayer - remember those?) used to get a Workman's Ticket on the bus. Postmen used to hop on and off buses, apparently without paying.

Harold

Comment

Originally posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
                                And you still can't beat a pair of copper wires for call quality, plus there is no danger of microwaving your brain.

Was that a 'Bubble Car'? I remember those.

They were very popular in the UK because being three wheeled they could be driven on a motorcycle licence.

When I was about four my father bought a Panther 650 motorbike and sidecar 'combination' as they were called in those days. My older brother or sister would ride in the sidecar with me whilst my mother rode pillion! That was around 1959 or 1960.

We lived in a rather snotty private road in Surrey and I don't think the neighbours were too impressed. Some were so posh they even had cars! My mother was rather conscious of this but I think it just encouraged my father to give the bike a 'handfull'.

Comment

Working...
                                X